Page 1 of 2
I graduated from high school a couple months ago and was planning on getting a (probably minimum wage) job in order to earn enough money for schooling in the future. I want to pay my own way (by working for a year or two) simply because I don't believe in getting into debt and my mother already has other kids' schooling to pay for.

The problem is, I've applied at over 50 places (not an exaggeration) and even put an ad out on craigslist and haven't gotten a single call back. Nothing. After tens of hours filling out applications and answering the same tedious questions over and over again, I get no response? From anybody? Feels bad man.

So now I have no idea what to do. I can't even think of anymore places to apply. What do, pit?

Inb4 sell meth, prostitution, etc.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
When they ask your ethnicity put down Hispanic. You'll phone will be ringing all day.

Oh and you won't even be able to pay for CC on minimum wage. Sign up for financial aid.
Post your CV/resumé with the personal details removed so that we may critique. Maybe there's some glaring faux pas in there that you're not aware of.
Doesn't matter if you believe in it or not, you will probably be in debt sometime in your life.

Suck it up and suck a few dicks
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by Johnny_Ibanez
Post your CV/resumé with the personal details removed so that we may critique. Maybe there's some glaring faux pas in there that you're not aware of.

The problem is that I don't really have much of a CV/resumé/anything because I'm just out of high school and couldn't get a job while attending it.

Quote by Wormholes
Oh and you won't even be able to pay for CC on minimum wage. Sign up for financial aid.

It shouldn't be too difficult, my mother is letting me live with her for free as long as I have a job and saving money for school.

Edit: I was hoping to attend luthier school or carpenter school of some sort and FASFA doesn't pay for trade schools like that.
Last edited by Rawshik at Apr 2, 2013,
Quote by Johnny_Ibanez

This. I'll give it a look through if you do and give you feedback

EDIT:

Quote by Rawshik
The problem is that I don't really have much of a CV/resumé/anything because I'm just out of high school and couldn't get a job while attended it.

Thats probably the problem. Make one and literally put everything on it. All your grades, hobbies and interests, maybe what you are aiming for in the future.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Last edited by leony03 at Apr 2, 2013,
Quote by leony03
This. I'll give it a look through if you do and give you feedback

EDIT:

Thats probably the problem. Make one and literally put everything on it. All your grades, hobbies and interests, maybe what you are aiming for in the future.

What is it supposed to be? Just several paragraphs talking about my life? What details would be important? What should not be on there?
>Applying for jobs
>No Curriculum Vitae

Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I applied for over 500 jobs between the ages of 16 and 18, with a decent CV, and got a total of one interview, which was not successful. I gave up in the end and just got a placement through a professor at 20, but what I'm trying to say is that 50 applications is nothing.

You are going to need a CV though. If you have no work experience, you have to sell yourself in a different way. Include a bullet pointed "key skills" section or something, and maybe explain a couple of your skills through examples of stuff you've done.
Last edited by captainsnazz at Apr 2, 2013,
Quote by Rawshik
What is it supposed to be? Just several paragraphs talking about my life? What details would be important? What should not be on there?

My CV

I've taken out some personal details but everything else is what I have given potential employers for my work placement year. I got quite a few interviews out of it including being in the final 5 out of 75.

This is a lot more advanced than what you will need because I'm a 3rd year university student but it will hopefully give you an idea on the stuff you might need to include.

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by Rawshik
After tens of hours filling out applications

Congratulations! You've spent the equivalent of 2 working days doing something!
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by leony03
My CV

I've taken out some personal details but everything else is what I have given potential employers for my work placement year. I got quite a few interviews out of it including being in the final 5 out of 75.

This is a lot more advanced than what you will need because I'm a 3rd year university student but it will hopefully give you an idea on the stuff you might need to include.

Thank you, that's very helpful. I think mine would be a lot more basic and uninteresting though. Do I just send that in with an application? It seems like most of the things that are on there are already asked/answered by the application itself.

Quote by metacarpi
Congratulations! You've spent the equivalent of 2 working days doing something!

Your negative attitude is not welcomed.
Quote by Rawshik

And your unproductive laziness is?
Quote by Wormholes
And your unproductive laziness is?

I legitimately don't understand what I've done wrong.
Quote by Rawshik

You now know how all those potential employers felt when they received your shitty applications.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by Rawshik
Thank you, that's very helpful. I think mine would be a lot more basic and uninteresting though. Do I just send that in with an application? It seems like most of the things that are on there are already asked/answered by the application itself.

No problem You will find that a lot of questions that come up on application forms will also be answered on your CV. Its just how they do things. Yeah do both and send them in. Even if your CV has the same/similar answers, they will automatically look at the people with CV's rather than without.

Quote by angusfan16
Quote by Rawshik
I legitimately don't understand what I've done wrong.

Based on what I've seen in this thread, there are a couple of things that spring to mind:

1) You're whining about spending "tens of hours" doing something. That's the equivalent of a couple of working days - lets hope you're prepared to work harder than that at something, because otherwise your unproductive ass isn't making it past the probationary period.

2) You've been applying for work with no CV. I've never heard of anyone doing this before. It's was covered when I was pre-GCSE (younger than 16), and according to my nieces and nephews, they've all been taught this as well. Either your schooling is shitty as ****, or you straight up haven't been paying attention.

3) There are freaking hundreds of websites out there that will guide you through the process, but rather than actively looking for help out there, you've opted to go with the "self-pitying-UG-thread" approach.

Good job, and count yourself lucky that I'm not an employer in your area, because holy shit it sounds like you'd be a ****ing waste of a potential good employee.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by leony03
No problem You will find that a lot of questions that come up on application forms will also be answered on your CV. Its just how they do things. Yeah do both and send them in. Even if your CV has the same/similar answers, they will automatically look at the people with CV's rather than without.

Cools, I'll start working on it right now.

Quote by metacarpi
Based on what I've seen in this thread, there are a couple of things that spring to mind:

1) You're whining about spending "tens of hours" doing something. That's the equivalent of a couple of working days - lets hope you're prepared to work harder than that at something, because otherwise your unproductive ass isn't making it past the probationary period.

2) You've been applying for work with no CV. I've never heard of anyone doing this before. It's was covered when I was pre-GCSE (younger than 16), and according to my nieces and nephews, they've all been taught this as well. Either your schooling is shitty as ****, or you straight up haven't been paying attention.

3) There are freaking hundreds of websites out there that will guide you through the process, but rather than actively looking for help out there, you've opted to go with the "self-pitying-UG-thread" approach.

Good job, and count yourself lucky that I'm not an employer in your area, because holy shit it sounds like you'd be a ****ing waste of a potential good employee.

Last edited by Rawshik at Apr 2, 2013,
Quote by Rawshik
I graduated from high school a couple months ago and was planning on getting a (probably minimum wage) job in order to earn enough money for schooling in the future. I want to pay my own way (by working for a year or two) simply because I don't believe in getting into debt and my mother already has other kids' schooling to pay for.

The problem is, I've applied at over 50 places (not an exaggeration) and even put an ad out on craigslist and haven't gotten a single call back. Nothing. After tens of hours filling out applications and answering the same tedious questions over and over again, I get no response? From anybody? Feels bad man.

So now I have no idea what to do. I can't even think of anymore places to apply. What do, pit?

good luck.
we came within 5 hours of the bank taking our house because dad couldnt get a job.
he's done management, labour, the whole shit show.
he applied for OVER 800.
im still looking.
join the military.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by metacarpi

Sounds about right.

I quite frequently get bored of my current job and get a new one. Problem Americans?
Its because your young and inexperienced. You won't get hired because you never worked so how do you get work in the first place?! Its stupid. What i did when i was looking for my first job was lie on my applications. I put i used to mow lawns clean pools and walk dogs and put several references, which was just my family members. They actually called all my references and asked a few questions. I told them to lie and say Im hard working and reliable, which Im not, and it worked.

If you get an interview you gotta sell yourself like a product that it'll be the best investment they will make.

And also delete whatever stupid shit you have on Facebook because jobs check it to see what kinda person you are.
I'm guessing you've only applied to retail positions?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by leony03

Nice resume but you should take out the pronouns. Use your name/he/him instead. Employers don't want to read that in first-person. Trust me.

Quote by Rawshik

Okay, toss the resume/minimum wage/entry occupation problem aside for now and listen...

You should see them in person expressing interest about the job. Employers dig that because a name and a face to go together go a long way. They also want to see that applicants dress neat and sharp for a visit, and are not some thug. (My boss said that to me.) After applying, call back or come back in to get an update. Don't think of it as pestering. Chat with the employees if you actually buy food or electronics from them. Be the friendliest guy you can be. It says you really want to be there and work for them.

Also, emphasize more that you want to work for "them" as opposed to wanting the job (so basically suck up). Do some real research about who you're applying to, even if it's not a chain. Show that you're for their cause. This is more for the interview part, but if you're gonna be putting in long hours for them to pay off college, you'd better know who you're dealing with.

EDIT: Sign up for financial aid. You're guaranteed to get some response.
We're all alright!
Last edited by Mathedes at Apr 2, 2013,
Quote by Mathedes
Nice resume but you should take out the pronouns. Use your name/he/him instead. Employers don't want to read that in first-person. Trust me.

Really? That would sound weird to me

Okay, toss the resume/minimum wage/entry occupation problem aside for now and listen...

You should see them in person expressing interest about the job. Employers dig that because a name and a face to go together go a long way. They also want to see that applicants dress neat and sharp for a visit, and are not some thug. (My boss said that to me.) After applying, call back or come back in to get an update. Don't think of it as pestering. Chat with the employees if you actually buy food or electronics from them. Be the friendliest guy you can be. It says you really want to be there and work for them.

Also, emphasize more that you want to work for "them" as opposed to wanting the job (so basically suck up). Do some real research about who you're applying to, even if it's not a chain. Show that you're for their cause. This is more for the interview part, but if you're gonna be putting in long hours for them to pay off college, you'd better know who you're dealing with.

Definitely all this. Especially the last paragraph. That helped me so much in my final 5 interview (didn't get the job because I cocked up the 3D CAD drawing. had to use SolidWorks which I had never used before because our cheap-ass Uni doesnt have it).

Quote by angusfan16
Quote by ProphetToJables
I'm guessing you've only applied to retail positions?

That and warehouse positions pretty much. The only things that don't require extra schooling.

Quote by Mathedes

EDIT: Sign up for financial aid. You're guaranteed to get some response.

So you're saying I should go in and specifically ask to speak to the manager just to hand them the application/CV? Is there anything else I should say to the manager?

As for the financial aid, FASFA doesn't appeal to trade schools so I don't know how that works.
Quote by Rawshik
That and warehouse positions pretty much. The only things that don't require extra schooling.

So you're saying I should go in and specifically ask to speak to the manager just to hand them the application/CV? Is there anything else I should say to the manager?

As for the financial aid, FASFA doesn't appeal to trade schools so I don't know how that works.

I have been told this before. It shows that you really do want an opportunity to be employed there as you want the CV to go straight to the top.

Quote by angusfan16
Quote by leony03
I have been told this before. It shows that you really do want an opportunity to be employed there as you want the CV to go straight to the top.

Meh. Depends on the job really. Nearly every retail/food service etc minimum wage job manager has told me they actually hate people coming to talk to them in person pre interview because they are always busy.
Quote by Wormholes
Meh. Depends on the job really. Nearly every retail/food service etc minimum wage job manager has told me they actually hate people coming to talk to them in person pre interview because they are always busy.

That's what I'm worried about. I don't want to bother people and plus I really don't have any idea what I would say.
Companies can receive hundreds of applications through the online system. You have to call them or go in person and talk to the manager. Obviously you don't just hand them your application and walk away. Think of it like a mini interview. Look sharp, be upbeat, ask about job openings or follow up if you've applied. Be ready to answer questions about your availability, experience, etc. You may even be asked for an interview on the spot, so carry copies of your resume just in case.

Managers should expect to be bothered about jobs, so don't worry about that so much. However, use your best judgment and don't come in right before close or at dinner rush.

Quote by metacarpi

Sounds like things work a little differently in the U.K. Most minimum wage jobs in the states aren't fussed about resumes. I'm only assuming TS lives in the U.S. though.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Last edited by fail at Apr 2, 2013,
Quote by leony03

Personally, and this is with me being a manager, I find it ******ed when applicants turn in their applications with resumes. If we're hiring (which TS a lot of places are in their dead weeks right now so not a lot will of places will be hiring) I'll give someone just as much opportunity who doesnt turn in a resume just as much as someone who does. Ive hired people with no experience over people who had turned in resumes, and theyve been great hirees. Resumes/CVs are pointless in minimum wage jobs (retail/fast food/movie theater/waiting)

Edit: and really the application is the resume. It asks for all the information that we need.

V Listen to that guy he knows exactly what hes talking about
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Apr 2, 2013,
Quote by leony03
Really? That would sound weird to me

Weird to you yes. But do you want to be the only one reading it?

To be honest, I really don't understand the reason of it because I got advice not to, but if I could guess, it's all practical and psychological. Employers don't have time to read a story. There are probably hundreds of other applicants wanting the same position and he likely doesn't even want to do an interview because it takes away from his work. And an employer doesn't want this feeling that he's done all this work and education.

Quote by Rawshik
That's what I'm worried about. I don't want to bother people and plus I really don't have any idea what I would say.

Who cares. I was worried too. From personal experience, I applied to a bookstore and was reluctant to go in. It was a long time before I got a call back. In fact I didn't get a call back. So after freaking out, I got the courage to walk in, introduced myself and explained I had applied. You know why I wasn't called back? My address shows I live a county away and the boss thought I applied to the wrong store (they have three stores for three counties). I explained this was the store I wanted. Right away, she called me for an interview.

Weird things happen. Employers get the wrong idea sometimes and its good that you establish your presence.

Plus, what the Hell do you have to lose? I was getting food at a Burger King one night. Some kid walks in, shakes hands with the manager, and the manager handed him a paper application.

Let me give you another example from the same job I worked at:
I didn't get an answer if I was hired at the store for awhile because the boss had a family emergency. She took off a lot of hours each day to take care of it. You know what I did? I sent one or two e-mails and still came into the store to catch her when she was still working. The assistant managers covering for her would always tell me she wasn't there. I must've gone in about four different times just to get an update.

But you know what that shows to the assistant managers? That I was serious about working for them. Who says they're not gonna say something to their boss. I eventually came back in when everything was settled with her personal life, expressed my condolences for her situation, and was awarded the job.

If anything, do what the kid at Burger King did. And (my advice again) while you wait for a call back, keep coming in to get a burger or something. Talk to the cashiers if you have to and say hello to the manager if he walks by. They'll remember you.
We're all alright!
Last edited by Mathedes at Apr 2, 2013,
Quote by Mathedes
Weird to you yes. But do you want to be the only one reading it?

To be honest, I really don't understand the reason of it because I got advice not to, but if I could guess, it's all practical and psychological. Employers don't have time to read a story. There are probably hundreds of other applicants wanting the same position and he likely doesn't even want to do an interview because it takes away from his work. And an employer doesn't want this feeling that he's done all this work and education.

Yeah I see your point.

Quote by angusfan16
Sell your body..
How do you make a signature? Is this a signature? Sig?.... Nature?..... Sigmund Freud?...... Nature Valley?.... Sigmund Fraud?..... Frankie Valli?.... ah, $!*@ it...
P.S. looking for these kinds of jobs is one of the most demeaning experiences ever, have fun
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Many employers don't even look at your application until you call them and ask if they have reviewed it. Wait a week or two after you've submitted the application and then stop in the place you applied at and ask if they've reviewed the app. If they haven't they might look at it and ask you to interview right then and there. It happens.
~My Gear~
68 Sunn Sorado
Acoustic 4x12
89 Epiphone LP Honeyburst
Boss ME-70

Fender Dreadnought Acoustic
Ibanez RG350DX
Blackstar HT-5R
Orange CR35LDX
Vox Tonelab ST
You're a christian bassist, right?
I used to be a christian bassist, and had this on my CV, explaining the qualities that performing on sunday mornings required (punctuality, presentability, being able to think on my feet, putting up with a shit gutiarist, confidence to perform). You should also put any other activities like volunteering in your commuity - I used to volunteer every week at a cafe run at the church, which was basically work experience. If you don't do stuff like that, look for something to do, and then exaggerate how long you've been doing it.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Rawshik

Don't roll your eyes at him, everything he told you was right. You need to stop whining and get some research done on how to write a good CV, and not waste your time complaining to us on UG. If you're not getting call-backs, you're doing something wrong. That appears to be you not having a CV. Even if you've never been employed, you need a CV. Where did you go to school? What skills do you have? Are you dependable, punctual? Even if you're not, tell them you are. Your CV is there to sell yourself as an employee. Go write one.
Quote by Mathedes

I always think that makes it rather pretentious.
Maybe it's an American thing?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Apr 2, 2013,
Page 1 of 2