Page 1 of 2
so if a gaming console is pretty much a computer cause it has the basic shit like a CPU, RAM, HDD etc, why isn't possible to open it up and ''upgrade'' the hardware inside of it instead of having to buy a new system like how we can do to computers?
pinga
Because gaming PC's exist for that very purpose.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
the goverment control the games console industry and theyre' controlled by the illuminati and they don't want you to get away with this sort of thing
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Because gaming PC's exist for that very purpose.

but they cost more
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
but they cost more

So would modding a console if there was any point in it at all.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Because then console companies wouldn't make nearly as much money forcing you buy a new one every few years, because corporate greed and what-have-you.

And the purpose of consoles is that they are for gamers that want to play every game made for the system on max everything and don't want to spend the time and money upgrading every few months.
Last edited by Wormholes at Apr 2, 2013,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
So would modding a console if there was any point in it at all.

yeah but I mean could you actualy do it? like has someone actually done it before? I thought it was a cool concept to have a PS1 run better than a PS4
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
but they cost more

Entirely depends. In fact they can be much cheaper because it's basically a parts market, whereas the consoles are monopolized by 3 companies.

Anyway, in your vision, this is how it would work. Let's say everyone buys the new Xbox when it comes out. Eventually better games come out and people start upgrading parts, new cases and so on. In what way then are Microsoft going to be making money out of selling Xboxes when people can build one and play games released for 'Xbox' when there's no such thing in a meaningful sense? And 'Xbox' would mean a PC and they'd no longer have a product to sell.

That's why it doesn't happen. What's the point in destroying your product?
Quote by Cb4rabid
yeah but I mean could you actualy do it? like has someone actually done it before? I thought it was a cool concept to have a PS1 run better than a PS4

Its possible, but totally pointless. There's no way you could make a PS1 run better than a PS4 without gutting the entire console. At that point, you may as well not bother with the PS1 to begin with.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by Cb4rabid
so if a gaming console is pretty much a computer cause it has the basic shit like a CPU, RAM, HDD etc, why isn't possible to open it up and ''upgrade'' the hardware inside of it instead of having to buy a new system like how we can do to computers?

Consoles are geared towards the sort of casual gamers who don't want to open hardware up and replace bits of a system they don't understand, and don't want to understand.

Consoles are for muggles and people who like Call of Gayness.

PC's are for l33t gamerz and nerds, who generally like modifying and upgrading stuff
Because people like paying $250-400 for a system that will work with every game that comes out for it for about 6+ years

If I bought a PS4 and was told I had to upgrade it to play certain games I would be really really pissed

That's what PCs are for
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
whatever im kinda tipsy but it still sounded cool. I see your point though. I was just wondering cause im like ''wouldn't I save money if I upgraded my 360 instead of buying a new 720 outright?''
pinga
You could do it, theoretically, but it would be pretty difficult because they use particular sockets because of that very reason, and I'd imagine that the firmware would be ****ed and wouldn't run the games.

If you ever went online you'd never go online again and they'd probably serve you pretty quickly.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Cb4rabid

The way the PS1 works wouldn't be compatible with PS4 games though, unless you essentially just built a PS4 from scratch. It's the same way you can't just play an Xbox game on a Playstation, that's not how the games are made.

By having a standard spec users can be assured all games for it work, and work properly (in that developers have only one machine to fix bugs on, whereas PC games have to be compatible across a vast number of set-ups). The basic spec can be mass produced making each unit comparatively cheaper to produce.

Although they upgrade by a generation every so often, the consoles are guaranteed to be the peak at the start and work across all products released in that generation with no further worry about upgrading part by part. Any and all games of that generation you can play.
Consoles have the CPU, RAM, and GPU all soldered onto the motherboard. You can't upgrade that without buying a new motherboard.

The companies do that to make you buy their system to play their games. It's as a simple as that.

On a related note, I think PC has a bigger catalog of games since people can still manage to run really old games on new machines.
Quote by metaldud536
Consoles have the CPU, RAM, and GPU all soldered onto the motherboard. You can't upgrade that without buying a new motherboard.

The companies do that to make you buy their system to play their games. It's as a simple as that.

On a related note, I think PC has a bigger catalog of games since people can still manage to run really old games on new machines.

Was going to write this myself.

PC Gaming on the whole doesn't cost as much as people think. Yes, the system to play the games on might be more expensive but it can last longer, be upgraded and can also perform everyday activities. Thats what most people don't get. How many people have maybe a £200-300 PC/laptop and then a £300 console? For that money, you can build your own fairly decent gaming PC.

The games are now cheap as anything on PC. So many sweet deals on Steam and sites like Green Man Gaming. I got the new BioShock along with the first two for £23.99. I have rarely paid more than £25 for a brand new game in months (either on day of release or pre-order).
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Console: A machine created for the purpose of gaming only. Companies select parts that work at the most efficient cost/performance ratio they can figure out. These parts are carefully engineered to work as fast as possible for as little money as possible. All consoles of this type are exactly the same, and developers will never run into any sort of compatibility issues because of this.

PC: IT'S A BUG HUNT! GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER!
what would be the point? upgrading it wouldn't make the graphics any better as they can't be changed and everything runs fine on them anyway - it would be a complete waste of money - IF it was even possible
No one really nailed on the head yet.. The biggest reason has to do with the fact that the console is engineered and programmed to optimize the use of the parts they have. That article a little while back about how the ps4 specs were like a low end computers specs is not applicable at all because computer parts and even the operating systems are not optimized to run video games where as a consoles only purpose is to do just that. Sothat's why you can't just go in and change parts, you would have to optimize them as well
Whats the point? its not as though you could improve the graphics, they are designed for the hardware that exists in the console. You would be spending money upgrading internals and the graphics of your game wouldnt increase at all.

Also the reason that consoles are cheap compared to computers, is that hte price is subsidized, every console sold is lost money to nintendo/microsoft/sony, they make the money from the game sales and downloadable content sales.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by Cb4rabid

Of course you could do it. The problem is, it probably wouldn't run PS4 games without the proper software, and you couldn't legally get that software without buying a PS4. So, you might as well buy a PS4 anyway.

Or better yet, build a gaming PC for $600. newegg.com and tigerdirect.com are your friends, if you live in the US.
If they were to do that, the console would just make it that only certain brands would work with their consoles and charge you the earth.

It's the same reason why it's not a good idea to have a console that can play all the games, the companies would be able to charge what they want and we couldn't complain.
I put an ssd in my ps3 and re-pasted the chips. Load times and fan noise is much better now.

Only reason I haven't gone full PC master-race is that for a lot of games, imo, mouse & keyboard isn't very user friendly or relaxing as a console pad/device. This is coming from someone with a expensive gaming laptop (wasn't practical fitting a desktop in the room and I like the portability)
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
A couple of people have said it already now, in the last few posts (CoreysMonster and SSargentSlayer) but the main reason is because there aren't 'drivers' for the hardware as exist for PC's for various software titles etc. Sure there are often updates for console games/consoles themselves that may amend issues with the system but if you alter the parts in your console, the hardware isn't optimised for the software the console uses and probably won't even be recognised by the system depending on what you are modding.

A console is sort of like a Mac (bear with me) and PC's are... well, like PC's PC's are cheaper for a basic one, and can get you better bang for your buck value. They can be customised to no end and there are literally thousands of possible combinations of hardware.

Without starting a PC vs Mac debate, a Mac differs because Apple select the parts and each generation of Macs has only a few variations in the parts available when customised - as a result, the developers can write software optimised for a much smaller potential number of hardware configurations and this can sometimes result in smoother operation and fewer bugs or driver issues.

So basically, while console gaming is behind in terms of spec on paper, it is effectively the optimisation of that spec, sort of the best that spec is ever going to offer for gaming. PC's can offer better gaming if the right knowledge and parts are applied, but it can run into much more money than a console.

As with everything, there are pro's and con's to both, but if you want to upgrade and modify your gaming system, you belong on the PC side of the market - if you want a system you can just hook up to you tv with little knowledge on how it works etc. then you are a console gamer. That's all there is to it at the moment.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by theguitarist

Only reason I haven't gone full PC master-race is that for a lot of games, imo, mouse & keyboard isn't very user friendly or relaxing as a console pad/device. This is coming from someone with a expensive gaming laptop (wasn't practical fitting a desktop in the room and I like the portability)

I have a good gaming pc and still use my console for this exact reason. I just enjoy certain games much more with a controller rather than mouse and keyboard (battlefield being the big one)
Cool. I never actually planned on doing this btw, I cant be arsed to worry about parts and all that jazz which is why im a console gamer, I was just curious as to if it would even work in the first place.
pinga
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I have a good gaming pc and still use my console for this exact reason. I just enjoy certain games much more with a controller rather than mouse and keyboard (battlefield being the big one)

I just plug a controller in if the game is best played via gamepad.

Although playing an FPS with a controller is just ******ed.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
I just plug a controller in if the game is best played via gamepad.

Although playing an FPS with a controller is just ******ed.

While aiming is better, I've always felt FPS movement with keyboard is really awkward and isn't as fluid as a gamepad. Plus no rumble, which makes FPS 100x better.

also:

O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I don't play a lot of FPS games; however I use a Steelseries Merc keyboard that has a dedicated movement pad and stuff to the one side and it is utterly amazing, made gaming a bit more fun and a crap load easier. But that being said I do like the ease of sitting back on my couch with a wireless controller playing a game in 3D on my PS3. I guess PCs are for the more dedicated serious gamer who is all about getting 300FPS while doing a 25 man raid in world of warcraft and console are for people that just want to plug in a game and go. Plus if I am not mistaken as is the case with the PS3 the CPU in them is designed to do a lot of the graphics rendering and crap whereas in a PC you need a dedicated video card for that. Then of course it is more profitable to make people buy new consoles ever 3-4 years rather then have them upgrade the same base PC over the course of 6-8 years or whatever the actual time frames are.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Quote by ne14t
I guess PCs are for the more dedicated serious gamer who is all about getting 300FPS while doing a 25 man raid in world of warcraft and console are for people that just want to plug in a game and go.

erroneous
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by theguitarist
While aiming is better, I've always felt FPS movement with keyboard is really awkward and isn't as fluid as a gamepad. Plus no rumble, which makes FPS 100x better.

this
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
moving with a keyboard and a game pad are nearly identical
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

It always feels really clunky, and like he said, no rumble just feels awful
___

Quote by The_Blode
my pc controller has rumble, umad?

and I find analog sticks to be less responsive than a keyboard
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by TunerAddict
moving with a keyboard and a game pad are nearly identical

1 stick vs 4 buttons? 1 thumb vs 2-4 fingers?

Unless there's some special technique I'm missing here...

Quote by TunerAddict

and I find analog sticks to be less responsive than a keyboard

sticks have dead zones. games are starting to let people adjust them though, I remember when the last socom let you change it in a patch, made the gameplay so smooth.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by ne14t
I don't play a lot of FPS games; however I use a Steelseries Merc keyboard that has a dedicated movement pad and stuff to the one side and it is utterly amazing, made gaming a bit more fun and a crap load easier. But that being said I do like the ease of sitting back on my couch with a wireless controller playing a game in 3D on my PS3. I guess PCs are for the more dedicated serious gamer who is all about getting 300FPS while doing a 25 man raid in world of warcraft and console are for people that just want to plug in a game and go. Plus if I am not mistaken as is the case with the PS3 the CPU in them is designed to do a lot of the graphics rendering and crap whereas in a PC you need a dedicated video card for that. Then of course it is more profitable to make people buy new consoles ever 3-4 years rather then have them upgrade the same base PC over the course of 6-8 years or whatever the actual time frames are.

I think that line is silly

PC's are better for way more reasons (imo) like you can upgrade your system and rum smoother yes, but you can customize your hardware to no end, as well as mods. Mods are fantastic and can almost completely change a game. You can have a mod that makes a game look much better, run more smoother, make the AI better, improve controls/engines/whatever while on the console, you're stuck with what you get.

But then again, it's a preference thing. If you're fine with being stuck with a game that you can only play and beat in it's original mode. Some people like more simpler things. But you can get so much more out of a game if you have access to all of what I previously said. Again, that's for people who want more bang for their buck, and prefer to try out different things
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by Cb4rabid
whatever im kinda tipsy but it still sounded cool. I see your point though. I was just wondering cause im like ''wouldn't I save money if I upgraded my 360 instead of buying a new 720 outright?''

The upgrades would probably cost as much as the 720, not to mention that you'd have to somehow pirate the 720 software...
Page 1 of 2