Really been spending mass amounts of time with the pentatonic scale. So part of my experience or learning here is - I'd like to listen to some metal masters who play predominantly most of their stuff out of the pentatonic scales... probably there is thread on this but I can't find it!

my quick list is
Kirk Hammett
Zakk Wylde
Slash- maybe?
I know there are a ton of other guys...

Got any others? I'd really love to hear from you guys on this. Thank you for your help
This is a daft thread as the answer is, outside of the extremely heavy or progressive genres the answer is "pretty much everyone who's ever played rock or metal music"
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
All of them.

Slightly more seriously: nearly all of them that are in the public eye at all. Nearly every metal guitarist of note does a lot of work with the pentatonic, it's just that ubiquitous.

Dave Mustaine
Tony Iommi
Jerry Cantrell
Mark Tremonti
Myles Kennedy
Jeff Waters
Michael Amott
Chris Robertson

This is a list composed of bands who I'm very familiar with from my own mp3 collection up to the letter B. There are almost certainly hundreds more.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I guess i equate it with more of a bluesier guys like Wylde. Here is a stupid question probably. If I guys becomes a real expert at this is it safe to say he can "make his mark" or "hold his own" as a player... I know "yeah,but don't limit yourself to..." I understand but if one were to get to a point that he could just rip the scale up... great start to being a good solo player?

Thanks again
Scales have nothing to do with whether or not your'e a good player - that boils down to your creativity, you're knowledge and understanding of music and obvisouly your technical ability.

The abililty to listen to a note and decide whether or not is sounds good over your backing is what it all boils down to.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The best start you can give yourself to being a good soloist is making sure your ears are really good, just like with any kind of music. You need to be able to hear things and play them because once you can do that you can take away the external source and take sounds from your head and play them.

Having the technical facility to play like these guys? Very good, a decent aim, but if you're just ripping up and down a bunch of scales you learn without regard to the sound then no one will care.

If that doesn't answer your question I suggest you find another way of phrasing it because that's about as good an answer I can think of on what you've said.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
been soloing over online backing tracks. Seems to be helpful. How about learning the solos of other guys you admire? Is there value in doing that you think?
Quote by Raven White
been soloing over online backing tracks. Seems to be helpful. How about learning the solos of other guys you admire? Is there value in doing that you think?

As long as you pay attention to why things sound the way they do, just parroting licks is fine but it won't really help you learn.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Yeah its a pretty common scale
Check out Pentatonic Khancepts by Steve Khan. Its not metal focused, but it brings up loads of cool pentatonic ideas that anyone can use, regardless of style
Just taking Hammett and Mustaine as two examples, can you list some songs in which they "predominantly [play their solo] out of the pentatonic scales"?
My advide would be listen to what Zaphod and freepower have to say.

Allways!!
But this goes up to 11
Quote by Freepower
He's better at guitar in person if you ever meet him.

I really wish a could meet him. A huge inspiration of mine. Shame i live in Australia
Quote by Max Dread
Just taking Hammett and Mustaine as two examples, can you list some songs in which they "predominantly [play their solo] out of the pentatonic scales"?

Talking Hammett you can basically take anything from the later part of their career, almost all the solos on the black album are heavily pentatonic. He was less so in the earlier days of the band but when they moved away from the thrash sound his soloing went much more towards just being bad blues.

Mustaine: almost anything. His solo in Holy Wars... The Punishment due (the one at the end) is basically entirely pentatonically based with some chromatic movement.

Quote by Freepower
He's better at guitar in person if you ever meet him.

I haven't actually met him but I've seen him live a couple of times, he really is just insane! Stupidly clean...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Apr 4, 2013,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Talking Hammett you can basically take anything from the later part of their career, almost all the solos on the black album are heavily pentatonic. He was less so in the earlier days of the band but when they moved away from the thrash sound his soloing went much more towards just being bad blues.

Ah, that explains things then. I'm not at all familiar with anything post black album and was thinking along the lines of the earlier stuff.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Mustaine: almost anything. His solo in Holy Wars... The Punishment due (the one at the end) is basically entirely pentatonically based with some chromatic movement.

I'm not sure I agree.... The repeating riff after the mental runs makes use of flattened fifth. And the whole last section might be a pentatonic lick, but the fact that he goes through all 12 notes chromatically repeating the same pattern makes it anything but pentatonic in my book.

The mental runs also seem to use notes outside the pentatonic.... Flat 5, major 7, 2nd. I've never learnt it, so that's going by Andy James' vid here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pfpkf1Rn6g

I am surprised by how pentatonic the solo is, but it's by no means wholly pentatonic.... Not that you were saying it is.
Quote by Max Dread
I'm not sure I agree.... The repeating riff after the mental runs makes use of flattened fifth. And the whole last section might be a pentatonic lick, but the fact that he goes through all 12 notes chromatically repeating the same pattern makes it anything but pentatonic in my book.

The mental runs also seem to use notes outside the pentatonic.... Flat 5, major 7, 2nd. I've never learnt it, so that's going by Andy James' vid here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pfpkf1Rn6g

I am surprised by how pentatonic the solo is, but it's by no means wholly pentatonic.... Not that you were saying it is.

His mentality is entirely pentatonic though, you can easily see it in the solo quite easily. It's all based around the standard pentatonic framework with essentially arbitrary chromaticism thrown in.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I haven't actually met him but I've seen him live a couple of times, he really is just insane! Stupidly clean...

One day at IGF a couple of years ago, Andy was playing a monster tapping lick with a scowl on his face. Over and over, sounds perfect to me. (and you know I'm fussy!)

There was a tiny, TINY blip of noise that he showed me. Had to really concentrate to hear it. I would have been happy to get that lick even with the blip but he got started working on his guitar setup and muting. What a perfectionist!
Quote by Freepower
One day at IGF a couple of years ago, Andy was playing a monster tapping lick with a scowl on his face. Over and over, sounds perfect to me. (and you know I'm fussy!)

There was a tiny, TINY blip of noise that he showed me. Had to really concentrate to hear it. I would have been happy to get that lick even with the blip but he got started working on his guitar setup and muting. What a perfectionist!

Can't say I'm at all surprised by something like that, it's obvious in his playing that both his attitude and ears work that way

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.