I am just wondering if there is something I can do to make them sound better. I don't know if it is just the quality of the amp because they sound significantly better through my AC15C1. Unfortunately, I bought this amp for my college dorm and now I wish I was back home playing through the Vox. I figured that since it is a tube amp it would take pedals pretty well but I am not impressed. I guess how I would explain it is that it sounds not as clear kind of behind a wall sound (that's how I explain it anyway) meaning its not as open sounding as the Vox. There is simply not enough gain in this amp to not use at least some OD or distortion for the stuff I play on occasion. I am impressed with the clean tone but now I wish I would have bought a Blues Jr. Any tips?
Raconteurs Fan Guy
What pedals are you using?
Are you running the pedals in front of the amp, in the loop or both?
are you using the built in boost function?
Does it have the stock tubes?
Does it have the stock speaker?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Its all stock and I am just running a Modtone Speedbox with amp no boost or anything just on the clean channel. I know the pedal isn't the best but I don't like bringing my fuzzboxes because I am afraid people will steal my stuff. Maybe I should try my Hoof with it. Would the boost help much?
Raconteurs Fan Guy
The built in boost is horrible, don't use it, get a good od pedal to use as a boost.

The stock speakers in the VK amps are pretty bad that maybe your biggest culprit. You may also find a big difference with 1 or more new pre-amp tubes.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Speaker, tubes, and bad monkey.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
wait

So this is not a case of the amp sounding fine one day with pedals and sounding like crap the next day?

If you take all of the pedals out of the mix does it sound better?

Seems like your OP and description of the problem is a bit mixed up.

I too had a Valveking 112 but it didn't shine until I got a new speaker. Then I got new tubes. I also used a Bad Monkey and an EQ in the loop as well as the Dummy Jack trick.

A stock VK is pretty muddy and bland without doing those things. See if you can find a decent used 16 ohm speaker. That will be the most improved upgrade for this amp followed by a used Bad Monkey or Tubescreamer.
Yeah I mean everyone was giving the VK a lot of praise and I like it at first I will admit.....but after a while its not very good and there isn't much for tone shaping. Maybe I will throw some new tubes in.
Raconteurs Fan Guy
Have you tried that same pedal with a different amp?

I used to have a VK212, it took pedals well.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X