hey
so like recently i went recording with my band which went fine,
but i discovered i hate the sound of my 6505+ 1x12
i used to love the beef i got in the lead channel but lately the tone im getting sounds really trebly and gross, instead of the warm grungy tones i really like
so options
1.I could just slave out the speaker to my floor pod plus which sort of gets the tone
2.could run distortion pedals to better suit the tone i want, but i think that defeats the purpose of owning a 6505 if i do so
3.I try to buy a fender hot rod deville 4x10
i really like that amp i think, it was a long time ago but it sounded pretty good

um all help on this matter would be apprciated
im trying to get like a sabbath, neil young, or in utero era nirvana tone
thanks and all that
New tubes, new speaker?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
is it worth it man?
like i could just sell the 6505 and put up the other half on the 4x10
but like i dont have much experince with that or any other amps
so i dont know if thats the right one or whatever
You want to replace your 6505 with a Fender HRD?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
The 6505 isnt really geared for the type of music you seem to wanna play. Tbh i dont think the HRD is it either. Appears you may benefit from a Marshall type amp.
Try and borrow someone's eq pedal if you don't have one and cut the frequencies above 8khz. That really takes out all the harsh top end. You could also try to do that after it's been recorded. I don't know how that would compare. However, the music you listed doesn't really jump to mind when I think of a 6505.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Last edited by Tremolo Bum at Apr 2, 2013,
well shit that would explain why i cant get those nice earthy tones from the 6505 apperently it aint for that
um i said the HRD because its in the same line of amps neil young uses (he uses a deluxe through like a million things) and it works real good with pedals,
i mean i like the overtly metal tone sometimes it's pretty cool
i just wonder what should i aim for to get a more grungy tone
like should i buy a bass cab?
what type of marshall?
i dont know much about jet city
e.t.c
The HRD is nothing like Neil Young uses. His Crazy Horse sound comes by diming an old Magnavox which then goes through an extremely primitive attenuator (a big rheostat, in fact) and then into a dimed old tweed Deluxe.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Neil's tone, as Cath stated, is a little hard to attain. Black Sabbath ran through Marshall JCM 800, and Kurt used a a number of different Fender amps as well as the Vox AC30.

W/o a doubt the 6505 is not really suited for that kind of music. If you were to replace it what would your budget look like?
Surprised no one has asked, but have you replaced your preamp tubes, recently or ever?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Surprised no one has asked, but have you replaced your preamp tubes, recently or ever?

didnt replace the preamp tubes because i recently a guy fixed some elctrical problems it had and told me the tubes were fine

as for budget i have like 500 cash with the 6505 and a unused RG 470 i getting rid of
Who are you going to trust, your ears or a guy?

It's perfectly fine if you want a different amp, but it would be ****ing stupid to go out and buy a new amp just because one of your preamp tubes are dying (and yes, it only takes one dying preamp tube to completely ruin your sound). Especially when they only cost $10 a pop.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Do you have $500 before selling your gear, or after?

Do you have a cab?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
A DSL would probably do what you want close enough to make you happy, especially if you load it up with the right tubes. The 50W (or a 100W run as 50W) would be the way I'd go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Marshall JCM2000 DSL
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
New tubes won't really achieve a nice grungy tone, sell it and get a used DSL or see if you can straight trade it.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.