Finally got this baby in my hands today. It's a 1979 Ibanez Artist with some interesting mods (mainly the single coil route). The neck pickup has no markings, just a gold back (believe it's the original but unsure) and the bridge pickup is a vintage Seymour Duncan custom. They both sound fantastic, as does the middle pickup which I'm guessing is a Dimarzio. The switch that I think should be coil tap is actually wired to be a killswitch - cool!

Overall I really have to say the hype about these vintage Japanese Ibanez Artists is all true. I absolutely love this guitar and it's going to be a mainstay in my stable for years to come. Not bad for under $400! Here are the pics, some post-setup and some during.

Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Last edited by CustomAxe at Apr 2, 2013,
Very cool. It's nice to see a guitar like this in such good shape. HNGD!
OffsetOffset
Quote by gregs1020
damn that's cool and what a stupid price.

if it only had more knobs.

This.

I love it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Thanks fellas! Loving it so far. This is my first real 'vintage' guitar and it definitely met all my expectations. Just gotta intonate the low E tonight and it'll be gig-ready.
Last edited by CustomAxe at Apr 3, 2013,
awesome
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You totally stole this guitar! Wish there was such prices over here where I live -bites lips-
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by gregs1020
damn that's cool and what a stupid price.

if it only had more knobs.

Seems about right for one thats been irreversibly modified like that. Looks very cool though, enjoy it! Vintage Ibanezs's are awesome.

Quote by Wesbanez
Seems about right for one thats been irreversibly modified like that. Looks very cool though, enjoy it! Vintage Ibanezs's are awesome.

Thanks! All the knobs on it are original though, this model came with active controls. The only mods are the pickups and pickup selector. I haven't even heard it with the active controls though, the 9 volt is dead and I have to buy a new one
Kinda Jerry Garcia-ish
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by Swannie
Kinda Jerry Garcia-ish

His are far pricier . I think he played Alembic.

Intonation issues seem to be addressed and it's playing great. I'm in love with the tone from this middle single coil. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise!
Quote by Swannie
Kinda Jerry Garcia-ish

Looks like his Tiger guitar and a Yamaha SG combined.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by Swannie
Kinda Jerry Garcia-ish

Looks like his Tiger guitar and a Yamaha SG combined. I love the headstock on it.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
I've never seen a vintage Ibanez before, or have been made aware of their existence. The guitar is beautiful! At $400!? Why is everyone on UG getting amazing guitars at great prices while I sit here with my Ibanez GS!? I need a new twanger damn it lol.

The inlay is fan-****ing-tastic.
In the words of the great philosopher, Ted Logan, "Whoa!"

HNGD, lucky mofo!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Ippon
It'll be so cool to rock that beast through a high gain amp, then through one of your vintage amps. Congrats!

I have my Emma Pizdiyauwot pedal for that Engl in a box magic so the high gain is well attended to.
Def go for it man. Truly a top notch guitar and fares well alongside many pricey axes I have. Ibanez in 1979 was a true powerhouse.