Hi all - first post here.

So, I am looking to better my guitar recordings, which are mostly heavy metal/hard rock. I have a couple of good guitars, a TA, a Paul, and I use them with a hot-wired JCM 800 2203 from '84. I am looking for the 'right' cab to record with. What I mean by the 'right' cab is this: I am not looking to go to GCenter, and just pick up any new 4x12 - I want the equivalent of what guiatrists used back in the day... think EVH and company. I know not everyone used the same cab, but for the most part, there were one or two cabs that were 'favs' industry wide. What I want to know is - what were these? Ok, they were typically Marshall cabs, but what kind of speakers? Celestions, I think?

So what does someone like myself need to pick up to get that 'old cab' feel and sound? Are there reissues that really are close to the originals? Should I look around on CList, ebay, etc, for the originals (that even a good idea?).... or what?

Thanks for any insight on this.

p.s. - just noticed that this may really belong in Guitar Gear & Accessories... mods feel free to move!
Last edited by dmiddletonla at Apr 3, 2013,
Marshall cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30s in it will get you the sound you're looking for.

The reissues sound reasonably close to the originals, but the originals have that "something" that you only get out of vintage equipment.
1960 AC if you want vintage marshall sound (greenbacks)
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
^ +1. better yet, something with a mix of greenbacks and g12h30s (though that might not be available off the shelf).

^^ *not* v30s...

i'm not sure i'd call original v30s "vintage equipment", either. i find it kinda bemusing that you feel qualified to claim that new v30s don't sound the same as the original vintage equipment when you've probably misidentified the speakers...

g12-65s might work too, if you're after a more 80s type of tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the repiles.

So, one post says Celestion Vintage 30s, one post says Celestion greenbacks, the next says a mix of greenbacks and g12h30s (cant see how that combo was used in the 80's - was it?), AND also says g12-65s might do the trick.

Hmmmm....
Another vote for 1960AC. I'm a pretty big Greenbacks fan myself.

I'm ordering a G12M-65 Creamback to replace the Canabis Rex in my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe sometime soon. If you want, I'll let you know what I think.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Apr 3, 2013,
Greenbacks, G12H30's or G12-65.
No V30's for what you want
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
EVH used Greenbacks, if I'm remembering correctly.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by dmiddletonla
Thanks for the repiles.

So, (a) one post says Celestion Vintage 30s, one post says Celestion greenbacks, the next says a mix of greenbacks and g12h30s ((b) cant see how that combo was used in the 80's - was it?), AND also says g12-65s might do the trick.

Hmmmm....

(a) yeah that one's just plain wrong. the v30 didn't come out until the late 80s. despite its name, the v30 is a very modern type of tone. Bands like killswitch engage use them- they're almost the stereotypical modern metal tone (when combined with modern high gain amps, of course). Granted, they don't *have* to sound modern- i think slash uses them, too- but most guitar players who've tried a bunch of different speakers would say they sound on the modern side of things.

(b) you didn't say 80s, you said "back in the day/old cab sound" (to be fair you also mentioned having an '84 jcm800 which I might have missed ). FWIW evh (the one guitarist you mentioned) uses/used greenbacks mainly and his new evh-brand cabs use either greenbacks or g12h30s.

for sure if you want 80s tones then g1265s, or even g12t75s (or other companies' clones of those) are probably the way to go. But if you're after evh or more classic tones then greenbacks or g12h30s (or a mix) are probably the way to go. g1265s (i haven't tried them, but I have WGS' version, the et65) might be the best of both worlds, in that they sound classic enough for the older stuff, and 80s-enough for the 80s stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?