I'm very keen to this tuning (E A C# E b e) and I've been fiddling around with it playing random chord progressions, whom sound good to my ear. (Also Now Now -songs)
Playing open might be Aadd9, but the other chords are a total mystery to me.

Is there anyone who might want to tell me how to build up basic major and minor chords(just tell me like "how to play D minor and D major" and I can learn the other chords by myself) with this tuning?

I will pay you with glory and respect!
(I might not be able to ship you cookies from here Finland..)

from Erska Turunen
You have to work these things out for yourself. A lot of experimenting and a lot of paper for shapes (if you are planning to compose more than once in it) and working things out. Altered tunings are awesome... if you put in the self study required.

I obviously didn't earn the glory or respect but ... well... that's ok. Good luck man
How much do you know about chord construction?

The best thing for you here would be to learn the basics of chord construction, so that you can figure out whatever chords you need.
Quote by erska.turunen
I'm very keen to this tuning (E A C# E b e) and I've been fiddling around with it playing random chord progressions, whom sound good to my ear. (Also Now Now -songs)

Is there anyone who might want to tell me how to build up basic major and minor chords(just tell me like "how to play D minor and D major" and I can learn the other chords by myself) with this tuning?

from Erska Turunen

D - D F# A
Dm - D F A

If you don't know the musical alphabet then knowing the order of notes along each string won't come easy either. And because of that, finding the voicings for the very.... VERY simple triads mentioned above is going to be the most ridiculously hard task in the world, all because you don't know the musical alphabet.

It's not even hard.
Quote by erska.turunen

from Erska Turunen

The others here have it spot on, Erska! The best way to go about this is to learn triads, and extended chords. Then knowing those and the musical alphabet, I can play with your tuning or anyone else without it being a "total mystery".

If you're lost, we teach this stuff. Like others said, it's not that difficult, and running into instances like these may be just the catalyst that takes you to the next level, and things that you seek to do and understand are not a "total mystery".

I wish we could accept cookies to teach you this, but if you can afford private guitar instruction at the market prices in most places, you can certainly afford us, as we are not as expensive and you get more from it

Let me show you an example of this in action.

E A C# E B E

You are correct that these notes can make out an A add 9 tuning, (not a Maj9) But the E makes the A tonality it a bit ambiguous, as you have 3 instances of E's which are the 5ths in octaves and unisons. This strongly fights to be A/E, or a in 2nd inversion, unless you play from the 5th string down.

That said, and assuming you know diatonic harmony...

E A C# E B E
F A# D F C F
F#B D# F#C# F#

x21222 Would be a Bm add 9. I know this, because I know the notes of my chords, any of them, and I could then look at the notes on this new fretboard (I showed it to the 2nd fret for illustration purposes).

Understanding chord and triad construction (and I argue that you can and should be able to use it in real time) would make things less a mystery for you. Just like the others are saying.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Apr 3, 2013,