I've finally got round to building a board and decided to get my pedals a dedicated power supply.

I've got an NS-2 that I use x pattern and have a OD and tuner upfront with a Nova system and MXR eq in the loop. so not a lot of pedals...

I had been using the 18v supply that came with the MXR and a cheap 9v psu daisy chained to feed the other pedals so decided as it was quite noisy (his and hum) without the gate on to try a dedicated supply.
I went for the T-rex Junior (should have got the chameleon for 18v) and am completely underwhelmed,
Using my incredibly accurate and subjective mk1 lug hole to listen for a change I can detect no difference to noise with the gate off.

Is this expected? Are dedicated expensive PSUs a gimmick?

I ask because i will either send this back for a refund or order a chameleon.
Last edited by -Ed- at Apr 3, 2013,
Why were you running 18v into 9v pedals? That's your first problem.

The Junior isn't an isolated power supply, so noise is probable. You might also have poor mains power. Isolated power supplies aren't gimmicks, but you didn't buy an isolated PS so... Also an NS2 wouldn't necessarily stop hum from a power issue.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
apologies - just corrected the 18v 9v bit, my bad.

the t-rex is iso outputs
Cheap power supplies can have noise. If the haven't got noise suppression, that kind be a bad thing.

The Junior isn't isolated. It has separate outputs, but their not isolated. It's essentially a daisy chain in a box.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Guitar tuner OD gate amp send nova mxr return. The nova and mxr are gated.

I've ordered a doubler lead so I can run the mxr off the fuel tank as well. Will give that a try.
I think, if it's not fully isolated (like a Dunlop), the difference is that your supply is isolated from the wall, yes, but not each individual output from each other output, I.E. your noise suppression, EQ, and Nova are still all in the same loop.

I don't know if they're isolated or not. Cannot find schematics, or pictures of the inside, or anything.

TS, you need to open it, and get us pictures.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Apr 3, 2013,
Is the noise defiantly coming from the pedals? Is it not the pre-amp making all the noise?
There's an element of noise from all components. The transformers hum a little, there's a bit of hiss etc.

Its not a big deal, something that's manageable but I do prefer it with a gate on as I play at low volume.

the original Q was around pedal board power supplies and them not having a huge impact on noise reduction. I guess I need to lower my expectations...

I was gonna trade up my NS2 for a G-string but don't think I'll bother as I think I'm probably over thinking and over anticipating the improvement.