Scottish Author Iain M Banks has been diagnosed with a late stage canceer, and given only months to live:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22015175

Quote by BBC News
Author Iain Banks has posted a message on his official website saying he has late stage cancer, and is unlikely to live beyond a year.

He said he was cancelling all future public engagements, and that his next novel - due to be published later this year - would be his last.

This really sucks. First Terry Pratchett is struck with his Alzheimers, and now Iain Banks is hit with this - I get the feeling I should stop liking various authors lest I kill them all off.

If you've never read anything by Banks, I can heartily recommend Feersum Endjinn, The Wasp Factory, Excession and Espedair Street.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Last edited by metacarpi at Apr 3, 2013,
I just saw this. Terrible news, I hope he finds some enjoyment in his last few months.

A great writer indeed; if you enjoy any science fiction, let me add to carpi's list of recommendations (which are all excellent) Use of Weapons and Look To Windward.
Up The Boro!
Damn, damn cancer.

Read all his books several times. Re-reading Look To Windward now.

From his newer work try Surface Detail. Just brilliant.

Damn **** cancer.
I won't say I enjoyed his books because they were far too verbose for me to actually enjoy them. I don't believe in taking a paragraph to describe a colour. it's a shame though because behind all the waffle are some incredible stories and universes.
I feel sorry for his fans and family who will lose a talented man.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Wow. I enjoyed the one book of his where the kids went to play in the snow and the one fell under the ice, which one was that?