Hey can anyone please tell me what mode does the guitar player use in solo? thanks!
None. He solos in a key.

To be actually helpful, it's an F# (if I recall correctly) blues, so you want to use the F# minor pentatonic.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Or an f# aeolian mode with no seconds or sixths. you can add a flat fifth for fun.
Quote by jrenkert
Or an f# aeolian mode with no seconds or sixths. you can add a flat fifth for fun.

= Blues scale.

And it's minor, not aeolian.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by jrenkert
or is it?
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010

did you hear a noise? I suspect something just flew straight over your head.
Si
Umm it's in a major key yeah? Certainly when I play it in cover bands it's in a major key, but these suggestions that a minor third is part of the harmonic context has me doubting myself as its been a while since I listened to the original.

But if it is, that aoelian suggestion is very funky. Crap even. Minor 6th in a major key anyone?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by 20Tigers
did you hear a noise? I suspect something just flew straight over your head.
Regardless, the post wasn't helpful in any way.

Quote by AlanHB
Umm it's in a major key yeah? Certainly when I play it in cover bands it's in a major key, but these suggestions that a minor third is part of the harmonic context has me doubting myself as its been a while since I listened to the original.

But if it is, that aoelian suggestion is very funky. Crap even. Minor 6th in a major key anyone?
Admittedly, I can't remember how long it's been since I've heard the original. I couldn't even tell you what the solo sounds like.

Every time I've played it though, I've always interpreted it as a blues (dominant 7th chords, minor pentatonic scale). I think a major scale would sound kind of odd over it.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Apr 4, 2013,
^^^^ Both should work if its in a major key.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
^^^^ Both should work if its in a major key.
Generally speaking, yes. However, based on the melody and the rhythm in this case, I would lean more towards the minor pentatonic.

Then again, I think it goes without saying that you should never blindly wank on the minor pentatonic in a major blues. You use minor notes when you need them and major notes when you need them. I didn't mean to speak in absolutes earlier, it just was easier to give a solid answer.

The note I was concerned about was the major seventh, not the major third anyway. The again, it would definitely sound fine over the V chord or as a passing tone.

Moral of the story, use whatever notes you want...
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Apr 5, 2013,
^^^ For sure. It comes down to arrangement too - I dont use 7th chords (mostly) when playing it.
Soundcloud