Just looking for opinion, is using an amp simulator on a digital muti fx pedal through a valve amp drowning the valve feel/warmth tone
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
I am assuming that you are referring to a multi-effects unit that has amp/cab simulations in addition to effects built in..similar to PODHD or BossGT type units.

The answer can be yes and no depending on the quality of the particular amp simulations and how you connect it to your valve amp.

I have the GT100 from Boss and had the HD500 from Line6, my primary amp is a Mesa Boogie Mark V.

Needless to say, I don't use the amp sims very much however when using the 4 cable method you can use your valve amp and effects from the mfx and/or can use the amp sim from the mfx which will be routed to the power amp section of your amp which will "warm" the amp sim.

Regardless of what anyone says, the amp simulation technology being marketed today is getting VERY VERY good. The tone and feel are there, maybe not 100% but 80-90% and live virtually no difference.

Try out different sims through your amps effect loop (not through the front) and as long as you know how to eq an amp you will be successful in getting great tones.
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
Quote by Dazzl1113
I am assuming that you are referring to a multi-effects unit that has amp/cab simulations in addition to effects built in..similar to PODHD or BossGT type units.

The answer can be yes and no depending on the quality of the particular amp simulations and how you connect it to your valve amp.

I have the GT100 from Boss and had the HD500 from Line6, my primary amp is a Mesa Boogie Mark V.

Needless to say, I don't use the amp sims very much however when using the 4 cable method you can use your valve amp and effects from the mfx and/or can use the amp sim from the mfx which will be routed to the power amp section of your amp which will "warm" the amp sim.

Regardless of what anyone says, the amp simulation technology being marketed today is getting VERY VERY good. The tone and feel are there, maybe not 100% but 80-90% and live virtually no difference.

Try out different sims through your amps effect loop (not through the front) and as long as you know how to eq an amp you will be successful in getting great tones.

Well im playing the mesa drive effect through my amp (clean)
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Yes. Digital processors dilute and shape the the original signal. That is unless your amp uses a parallel series FX loop, but using a parallel FX loop can be extremely difficult.