North Carolina introduces bill to declare an offcial state religion.

Page 1 of 2
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/03/north-carolina-religion-bill_n_3003401.html#slide=467180

SECTION 1. The North Carolina General Assembly asserts that the Constitution of the United States of America does not prohibit states or their subsidiaries from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.

SECTION 2. The North Carolina General Assembly does not recognize federal court rulings which prohibit and otherwise regulate the State of North Carolina, its public schools, or any political subdivisions of the State from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.

So yeah according to the article the bills backers say that the constitution only really applies to the federal government and that the state and local governments are allowed to pass whatever laws they want because that you know... makes sense.
But North Carolina's so chill. :/
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
This is the same state that recently killed a medical marijuana bill because too many people in favor of it were calling their representatives asking for their support and they claimed this as "harassment" . Good thing I don't plan on staying here for much longer.

Although I'm not reading the whole thing. All states should decide their own laws. Federal government should only have a say in foreign policy, heathcare, and military.
Last edited by Wormholes at Apr 3, 2013,
I LOOOOOOVE YOUUUUUUU JEEEEEEEESSSSUUUUUUUUS CHRIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSTTTT
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Well that's definitely not unconstitutional.

If this passes then America will have lost the only political thing of real value it had to offer the rest of the world.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Hmm...
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
do people just get to the 5th Amendment and get bored?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Todd Hart

Exactly. I mean, the detractors could get this struck down as unconstitutional; they're making it easy for them.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 3, 2013,
Quote by Lemoninfluence
do people just get to the 5th Amendment and get bored?

I plead the fourth!
I think actually that this bill should pass, and a new reign of Hinduism should overtake North Carolina. Would be amusing to see how the Christian Right would react: after all, all they wanted was a state religion.
Quote by WCPhils
I LOOOOOOVE YOUUUUUUU JEEEEEEEESSSSUUUUUUUUS CHRIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSTTTT

this is all i hear every time somebody tries to make a big deal about religion
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Todd Hart

If this passes then America will have lost the only political thing of real value it had to offer the rest of the world.

Hmm...

How come when one state does something stupid all of America gets blamed? Clearly Americans who live in New York are much different than Americans who live in North Carolina.
Am I being dumb or is it not actually unconstitutional? I mean, it says CONGRESS shall make no law etc etc....but if a state does it then isn't it different?

You Americans and your silly divisions.
Quote by WaterGod
How come when one state does something stupid all of America gets blamed? Clearly Americans who live in New York are much different than Americans who live in North Carolina.

Because if one state contravenes the constitution the whole thing's pointless
Quote by WaterGod

North Carolinians are more polite.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
lel
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by WaterGod

Because if the rest of America (or more precisely, America's political forces) doesn't step in to stop this crap then the enterprise of having a 'United States' rather falls flat on its face.
Quote by willT08
Because if one state contravenes the constitution the whole thing's pointless

I think what he meant is that there are always stories about a state doing something stupid and everyone acts like it's all Americans who want the change.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
I think what he meant is that there are always stories about a state doing something stupid and everyone acts like it's all Americans who want the change.

Yeah, so?

I'm sure you don't discriminate between what people in Yorkshire and Rutland think.
Quote by Wormholes

Although I'm not reading the whole thing. All states should decide their own laws. Federal government should only have a say in foreign policy, heathcare, and military.

Then that basically makes are government the equivalent of Russia.
Quote by willT08
Yeah, so?

I'm sure you don't discriminate between what people in Yorkshire and Rutland think.

But our states are real places.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by Todd Hart
Because if the rest of America (or more precisely, America's political forces) doesn't step in to stop this crap then the enterprise of having a 'United States' rather falls flat on its face.

No it doesn't.
Quote by willT08
Yeah, so?

I'm not saying you're wrong. I agree that if by some miracle it passes it would make the constitution pretty pointless.

I'm just saying it's annoying when a state like Texas does something dumb and people act like everyone in the country thinks like that.

I don't know anything about the different places in England. I'm sure they're different though just going by how most of you guys on here talk about them.

I would have to think that the differences in the US would be a bit more varied since England is smaller than 26 states
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by Todd Hart

Hmm...

I think technically that only applies to the US Government though, not individual states. Which is their argument. Although if North Carolina ratified the Constitution, could you argue they've implicitly agreed to uphold the first amendment? Now that I think about it more, the Supreme Court has struck down individual state laws violating the Bill of Rights before, so I don't see why this would be any different. State vs Federal. Has, is and always will be one of the main issues in the US.

It won't be passed in the first place anyway. But I suppose the Supreme Court could and would strike it down.
#DTWD
Quote by blake1221
No it doesn't.

Yes it does. If you're going to have a constitution that must be obeyed by all parts of the union then one part not obeying it invalidates the point of a constitution entirely. You can have a universal law/system of law that isn't universal.
Quote by Todd Hart
Yes it does. If you're going to have a constitution that must be obeyed by all parts of the union then one part not obeying it invalidates the point of a constitution entirely. You can have a universal law/system of law that isn't universal.

Yeah, but their (dumb) argument is that the Constitution only forbids a national religion, thereby deeming a state religion okie dokie.
Quote by blake1221
Yeah, but their (dumb) argument is that the Constitution only forbids a national religion, thereby deeming a state religion okie dokie.

But their dumb argument is dumb.
Quote by ErikLensherr
But our states are real places.

And they're also states, not cities. You can't really make this analogous to something happening in two towns in England because it's not.
#DTWD
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by primusfan
And they're also states, not cities. You can't really make this analogous to something happening in two towns in England because it's not.

You could try and make it analogous to two countries in the UK.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by primusfan

The lines between states are as arbitrary opinion-wise as the lines between counties.
North Carolina: Too small to be a country, too big to be an insane asylum.

I'm aware that was originally meant for South Carolina, but I think NC just surpassed them in terms of crazy
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by primusfan

Neither Yorkshire or Rutland is a city
its stupid, but nothing in the constitution i see explicitly states that a state government cant pass a law like this. Although, going by that logic I suppose state government could also ban free speech and assembly? I wonder if NC thinks that would be constitutional.
Last edited by pugachev at Apr 3, 2013,
Quote by pugachev
its stupid, but nothing in the constitution i see explicitly states that a state government cant pass a law like this. Although, going by that logic I suppose state government could also ban free speech and assembly? I wonder if NC thinks that would be constitutional.

14th Amendment.

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Establishing an official religion would result in unequal treatment of people who did not follow that religion.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
14th Amendment.

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Establishing an official religion would result in unequal treatment of people who did not follow that religion.

The reaction most people will have to this post: 'There's a fourteenth amendment?'
Quote by Lemoninfluence
14th Amendment.

thanks
I've lived in Alabama and Texas. I know my backwards republicans pretty well. For years I've been trying to tell people that NC is by far the most right-wing place I've ever experienced. They've got such a cool reputation, but the truth is so, so right winged.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
lel at people who think Yorkshire is a city

I have no reaction to this in general though. We all knew murica was a silly place already.

Quote by WCPhils
I would have to think that the differences in the US would be a bit more varied since England is smaller than 26 states

Ye but England is bare more densely populated than the US. Your country is about 75x bigger than ours but only has about 5x the population.
But if someone in London said something stupid and everyone in the rest of the world was like "lol England is stupid", the rest of us would totally distance ourselves from them too.
Last edited by captainsnazz at Apr 3, 2013,
Page 1 of 2