So I've been playing for a little while on the epi lp I've had since I started out, and I think I'm finally good enough to start thinking about a more professional guitar... First off, I was thinking about springing for a semi hollow electric and just putting nicer pickups in my epi, but is it worth it, as in, it's worth it doing this instead of spending all my money on a new gibson lp? If so, which semi hollow should I buy? I generally use a pretty high level of distortion, and I'm into grunge, alternative rock, that sort of thing... (and please don't say to get a solid body guitar just cause of the genres i play, Im interested in the semi hollow idea and I want to hear what real opinions other people have on their rock capabilities because I don't know much about them)
Final Stand of the Rock People
Read this: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696

It'll make it easier for us to help you if you follow the guidelines.

Semi-hollows are fine for rock and overdrive/distortion. Generally I find them to sound a little fuller than solid-bodies, but I also find that they lose a bit of note articulation if driven too hard. They may also be a bit more prone to feedback than solid-bodies.
OffsetOffset
I guess a gibson es if you want to spend that money, or get a gretch, i know their good and i know the falcons are amazing, look into them.
Quote by marko jawornick
I guess a gibson es if you want to spend that money, or get a gretch, i know their good and i know the falcons are amazing, look into them.

The Gretsch Falcon is fully-hollow, big difference. If we are talking in that budget, you have a good deal of options.
OffsetOffset
A Custom Thinline Tele may fit the bill, too.
If you can find one, and your budget permits Gibson launched a Les Paul Called the Florentine around 17 years ago. If you can find one give it a go....
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.