Hi guys,

I used to be a regular here until I got lost into the oblivion that is the pit, but no worries, I'm back!

So, lets dive into topic. I've gotten very, very bored with my ibby RG1570 lately. I drifted away from metal so naturally I've come to hate the sound of this guitar, and I want to freshen things up and get a new guitar that can handle jazz, indie and some soft rock.

Luscious, crispy cleans is a must. I don't want a dark sounding guitar, or high output pickups either. I want a hardtail, or a one way tremolo ( jeez, is that what it's called? been out of the game for a long time ) and any combination of pickups that can handle clean tones well. My budget is ~800$, but I usually wait for sales before buying anything so for the purpose of this thread lets assume that my budget 1000$.

Sorry for the rather long post and thanks in advance.
Are there certain shapes you really don't like? Others you're very fond of?
Brands you just can't cope with?
New/used?

I was thinking of some sort of (semi-)hollowbody guitar or a telecaster, but above questions are pretty important to suggest stuff. :P
I'd go for a Tele, maybe a '69 Thinline Reissue. Lots of good clean tones, and if you're willing to go used or can get one on sale, it should be right in that range.

Edit: great minds think alike, ninja'd!
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at Apr 3, 2013,
Quote by I K0nijn I
Are there certain shapes you really don't like? Others you're very fond of?
Brands you just can't cope with?
New/used?

I was thinking of some sort of (semi-)hollowbody guitar or a telecaster, but above questions are pretty important to suggest stuff. :P

As far as shapes go... I'm alright with anything that doesn't scream "IM A M3T4LH34D XxxxXXx"

Brands I can't cope with -

Jackson
ESP
Ibanez

Definitely new.
Quote by SteveHOC
I'd go for a Tele, maybe a '69 Thinline Reissue. Lots of good clean tones, and if you're willing to go used or can get one on sale, it should be right in that range.

Edit: great minds think alike, ninja'd!

It looks fantastic. Is it MIJ or MIA?

Also, was looking at some PRSs, and good god what happened to the prices? An SE torero for 1099$ ??
Check out Godin.

I'm a big fan of their "Strats"- extremely well made, great sounding guitars.

However, over the past few months, I've been exposed to guitarists using their "LP" style guitars on "Live at Darryl's House" and- most recently- in the jazz combo playing the Easter Brunch I attended this year. THAT cat was smooooth. Great tone.

And their 5th Avenue guitars are pretty damn highly regarded as well.

http://godinguitars.com/godin5thaveseriesp.htm
http://godinguitars.com/godiniconseriesp.htm
http://godinguitars.com/godinxtsap.htm
http://godinguitars.com/godinsigseriesp.htm

The high-end ones are probably outside of your budget new, but used, should be quite affordable.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 3, 2013,
Quote by archenemyfan
It looks fantastic. Is it MIJ or MIA?

Also, was looking at some PRSs, and good god what happened to the prices? An SE torero for 1099$ ??

If you're looking to go new, it'll likely be MIM. You might also consider a Jazzmaster, I just saw a pristine MIJ Jazzmaster (bound and blocked) go for $900 with a hard case in my area. It was used, but barely. I know you want new, but man, if I weren't about to make a 1,000 mile move, I'd have picked it up.

Edit: forgot about them trem, damn! How about a MIJ Fender Jaguar Special? No trem, jangly sounding humbuckers, great construction. I changed mine to P90/HB configuration and it has become my top player. Good for all kinds of stuff.
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at Apr 3, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Check out Godin.

I'm a big fan of their "Strats"- extremely well made, great sounding guitars.

However, over the past few months, I've been exposed to guitarists using their "LP" style guitars on "Live at Darryl's House" and- most recently- in the jazz combo playing the Easter Brunch I attended this year. THAT cat was smooooth. Great tone.

And their 5th Avenue guitars are pretty damn highly regarded as well.

http://godinguitars.com/godin5thaveseriesp.htm
http://godinguitars.com/godiniconseriesp.htm
http://godinguitars.com/godinxtsap.htm
http://godinguitars.com/godinsigseriesp.htm

The high-end ones are probably outside of your budget new, but used, should be quite affordable.

Thanks for the reply man! I definitely check them out. Godin doesn't sound too familiar to me though, are they new?

Quote by SteveHOC
If you're looking to go new, it'll likely be MIM. You might also consider a Jazzmaster, I just saw a pristine MIJ Jazzmaster (bound and blocked) go for $900 with a hard case in my area. It was used, but barely. I know you want new, but man, if I weren't about to make a 1,000 mile move, I'd have picked it up.

Edit: forgot about them trem, damn! How about a MIJ Fender Jaguar Special? No trem, jangly sounding humbuckers, great construction. I changed mine to P90/HB configuration and it has become my top player. Good for all kinds of stuff.

You mean this?
linky
As far as looks go, this is guitar is the SEX. How would you rate it's quality? and durability?

Also, just found out that I should be able to sell my RG1570 for about 750-800$. If that's the case, Budget bump to 1000$
Quote by archenemyfan
You mean this?
linky
As far as looks go, this is guitar is the SEX. How would you rate it's quality? and durability?

Also, just found out that I should be able to sell my RG1570 for about 750-800$. If that's the case, Budget bump to 1000$

That's the one! If you check out my profile, you can see some mods I did to mine.
It's extremely well built and very durable. I have nothing but good things to say about the construction, and believe me, in person it's even more beautiful.
I only did a pickup swap because I wanted a little more beef in my overdriven tones.
To hear it in action, check out the band Listener do their song "Good News First" on YouTube; there's an Audiotree Session version that really showcases the Jag's tone.
OffsetOffset
Thanks for the reply man! I definitely check them out. Godin doesn't sound too familiar to me though, are they new?

Godin is a smallish company, but it has been around a few decades. They're pretty low profile, though.

I don't own one, but my personal, hands-on experiences with Godin is limited to about 10 (mostly used) guitars over the past few years- all positive- but I keep missing out on buying one. Still, I have yet to meet a Godin owner who didn't like their guitars.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

An RG1570 shouldn't have any problem doing those things. Is it stock? What amp are you using?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm personally a fan of strats. You can get a new one for 500 and deck and or block the bridge. I personally really like the twangyness that only comes from single coils
Quote by Offworld92
An RG1570 shouldn't have any problem doing those things. Is it stock? What amp are you using?

Currently using this, don't pay attention to my sig haven't updated it in a while. Anyway I want to get rid of my RG1570 though

But I'm moving to a new apartment so I'm going to sell my amp and invest on a good USB interface and logic pro.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Godin is a smallish company, but it has been around a few decades. They're pretty low profile, though.

I don't own one, but my personal, hands-on experiences with Godin is limited to about 10 (mostly used) guitars over the past few years- all positive- but I keep missing out on buying one. Still, I have yet to meet a Godin owner who didn't like their guitars.

Hmm.. interesting. As far as general quality goes, from what you've experienced, how would a comparatively priced Godin compare to an MIJ jaguar?
Last edited by archenemyfan at Apr 4, 2013,
My experience with Godin is that they are comperable in quality of manufacture with Fender's MIA/MIJ guitars.* Not surprising, in one sense: their entire production is located in Canada, possibly in one factory.

Personaliy, I prefer them to Fender**, but that is purely a matter of feel, not quality. Fender makes great guitars, but I have never found one that felt good enough to me to make me want to buy one.

Here's the deal: if resale value matters to you, go with Fender, period. On the whole, pretty much only Gibson holds value like Fender does.

If, OTOH, resale value is not a factor for you when you buy a guitar, rest assured that Godin** guitars will be of similar quality- and possibly, better price (especially if buying used)- than an analogous Fender.

* FWIW, the same can be said of G&L's USA models and Fret-King's Blue, Green or STVDIO lines.

** again, ditto G&L and Fret-King.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 4, 2013,
For a complete change from your Ibby, I suggest the Gretsch G5122. I know it's got a Bigsby but the tuning is very stable if you use it sparingly. Or a Tele. Can 't go wrong with a Tele.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
Quote by dannyalcatraz
My experience with Godin is that they are comperable in quality of manufacture with Fender's MIA/MIJ guitars.* Not surprising, in one sense: their entire production is located in Canada, possibly in one factory.

Personaliy, I prefer them to Fender**, but that is purely a matter of feel, not quality. Fender makes great guitars, but I have never found one that felt good enough to me to make me want to buy one.

Here's the deal: if resale value matters to you, go with Fender, period. On the whole, pretty much only Gibson holds value like Fender does.

If, OTOH, resale value is not a factor for you when you buy a guitar, rest assured that Godin** guitars will be of similar quality- and possibly, better price (especially if buying used)- than an analogous Fender.

* FWIW, the same can be said of G&L's USA models and Fret-King's Blue, Green or STVDIO lines.

** again, ditto G&L and Fret-King.

Thank you very much, again. So far Godin sounds like a good buy, I'll give it some thought and compile a list of finalists.

^^ thanks for the suggestion, but TBH I'm not a big fan of the way most Gretsch guitars look.

Also one last question, A few years ago Carvin was pretty much one of the best value brands around. Is it still the same story? I headed over to their website and I can configure pretty much my dream guitar for around 1000 and get some custom pickups later on.
Carvin still delivers shockingly good guitars for their price.

A similar company- slightly pricier- is US Masters.

And, FWIW, if you're willing to spend $1000, you should at least give a cursory look at American luthiers. For a variety of reasons, there are a lot of guys out there who are doing semi- to full custom guitars starting in the $1000+ range. I have a semihollow Jon Kammerer (Illinois) guitar with 2 Golden Age Humbuckers & coil tapping I got for just under $1K, and a solidbody of his with 2 splittable SD HBs and a tremolo for the same price. Both are standard designs for him.

And I'm having a pair of full customs done by Rock Beach (New York) guitars for about the same price per axe. Since I commissioned those, I've found several luthiers in my own metropolitan area (Texas) with guitars starting in the same price range...and above, of course.

If you look around, you may find someone online or in your area doing good work in the same price range.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 4, 2013,
I have liked he Ibanez doublecuts for some time...what are the pickups on that model like?

Wow, that solid body Jon Kramerer looks really pretty. Seems like an absolute bargain for under 1000$, only thing is his website doesn't seem to work properly on my computer.. weird.

Saw this while browsing carvin galleries. In love

Quote by archenemyfan
Wow, that solid body Jon Kramerer looks really pretty. Seems like an absolute bargain for under 1000$, only thing is his website doesn't seem to work properly on my computer.. weird.

PICTURE

Seems like you enjoy strat-ish/PRS kinda shapes.

Check this out:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs-se-custom-semi-hollow-electric-guitar/h70027
banned
Quote by archenemyfan

His website is under RE-construction. It was taken down by some malware a year+ ago, and his tech buddy has been under some RW unpleasantness, so its just now coming back. In the meantime, you can catch him on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/jon.kammerer.3

Carvins make outstanding guitars for the price! Personally, I love their SH550s, but there have been some STOOPID 7-string Carvin NGDs pop up on UG this year.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 5, 2013,
welcome back

one-way trems are unrecessed, though even unrecessed ones can be set up to float.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
welcome back

one-way trems are unrecessed, though even unrecessed ones can be set up to float.

Thanks

and if I'm going carvin, I'm deffo going fixed bridge. But my carvin total with a birdseye maple board and gold HW comes out to 1135$ before tax a bit too much imho.

How well do carvins hold value?
^ not too well, i think, but don't quote me on that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hard to say- they don't show up in the used market all that often. But imagine the pricing nightmare of figuring out all the optional stuff on a given Carvin...

Yeah, true true.

Well folks, seems like I've gone a full circle and am back to Fender again... I decided resale value was important to me so godin, carvin american luthiers are out of the question... sorry guys

Could a fender expert please clarify what the difference between an american standard strat and an american special strat is?
Well folks, seems like I've gone a full circle and am back to Fender again... I decided resale value was important to me so godin, carvin american luthiers are out of the question... sorry guys

Ain't nothin' wrong with that.

+1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?