Hi guys, I'm looking for a cable that goes straight from guitar to my soundcards microphone input, what kind do I need? Thanks!
YᵒᵘOᶰˡʸLᶤᵛᵉOᶰᶜᵉ
it actually can work that way for most native soundcards with a mic input.

the native soundcard should usually have a 1/8" TRS input on it for the microphone. since this input is for the microphone it usually has a preamp on it. this is everything you need to run electric guitar into the computer.

i usually use a 1/8" TRS cable (like an ipod patch cable) with a 1/8" TRS female to 1/4" TS male converter on it and then plug that into the guitar with the 1/8" TRS side running to the computer's input.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Apr 3, 2013,
you really just need 1/4 to 1/8 inch converter thingie but if you connect directly like that... it probably wont sound too good on its own
an interface will help alot with latency and youll get way better sound quality
I just wanted to say, I had a decent USB interface ($70 Tascam something) and going direct to motherboard destroyed the interface. From my experience, it's best to go with a mic, not direct from the guitar though.

Do you have a standalone soundcard or just integrated? If you don't know, I would be 99% sure it's integrated.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
A $70 Tascam something is definitely not a decent interface, just sayin.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Let me rephrase. TS doesn't know how to even record directly (No offense intended I assure you), based on that, he probably isn't looking to drop a few hundred on recording equipment. $70 isn't enough to be worth it and be a significant upgrade over your computer's card.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay