Is your amp bangin'?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Is your amp bangin'?

Hmm. I would only run new $200+ pickups if he has a spider IV or an MG.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Is it for sale or is that your current guitar? Or what?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by Offworld92
Is your amp bangin'?

Yeah why would anyone buy 200 dollar pickups if they have a crappy amp... its a peavey 6505+
Quote by GuitarNewbee
Yeah why would anyone buy 200 dollar pickups if they have a crappy amp... its a peavey 6505+

People do that every day. A ton of people don't take into account what an amp is or does - they think pickups are little magic boxes that make your entire tone.

Which leads to an important point - pickups only make up the last 5-10% of your tone. As a former BKP owner I think they are stupidly expensive for what you get, and massively hyped up. But that's just my opinion.

If you have the cash, by all means, go for it. But if you do, why are you trying to put them in a $300 guitar? I'm of the opinion that the right SDs or DMs will get you 95% of the way you want to go with BKPs.

You made an extremely vague OP. What were you hoping to get out of this thread? Just people's opinions?

If you want actual pickup suggetsions, we need to know specifically what sounds you want to get close to, what bands/songs.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 4, 2013,
Boutique pickups are for people who love everything about their rig, want to tweak the response they get just a tiny fraction more after they've already taken their amp, guitar and pedals as far as they can go, know exactly what they're buying and want absolute customisation regardless of cost.

If you're having to question it and are asking people on a forum whether it's worth it, you don't need it. In fact if you have to question it, you probably wouldn't notice the difference between it and a standard aftermarket pickup.

I also wish to stress that scatterwound pickups tend to exaggerate a guitar's nature, almost regardless of the actual specification of the pickup. A $350 guitar with $210 pickups won't sound like a $560 guitar, it will just sound more like a $350 guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Offworld92
People do that every day. A ton of people don't take into account what an amp is or does - they think pickups are little magic boxes that make your entire tone.

Which leads to an important point - pickups only make up the last 5-10% of your tone. As a former BKP owner I think they are stupidly expensive for what you get, and massively hyped up. But that's just my opinion.

If you have the cash, by all means, go for it. But if you do, why are you trying to put them in a $300 guitar? I'm of the opinion that the right SDs or DMs will get you 95% of the way you want to go with BKPs.

You made an extremely vague OP. What were you hoping to get out of this thread? Just people's opinions?

If you want actual pickup suggetsions, we need to know specifically what sounds you want to get close to, what bands/songs.

i need alot of diversity in the pickups but i mainly play some what harder stuff, it can range anywhere from
nirvana
blink 182
green day
My Chemical Romance
to stuff like slayer
megadeath
Iron Maiden
Pantera
Metallica
Guns N Roses
Aerosmith
Rush
Judas Priest
The Devil Wears Prada
August Burns Red
Parkway drive
HIM
Underoath

And i thought that instead of buying a new guitar that would cost around $800 it would be better to just upgrade the one i least use to make it better.
Quote by GuitarNewbee

And i thought that instead of buying a new guitar that would cost around $800 it would be better to just upgrade the one i least use to make it better.
False economy. A cheap guitar with upgrades does not become an expensive guitar. No matter what you do, you can't upgrade the wood it is made from and the way it was made.

More to the point, out of all the acts you listed, the only ones which would really benefit from the nuances of scatterwound pickups would be Aerosmith and Rush. Everything else is pretty straight-forward and would actually benefit more from using regular production pickups with well-matched coils fo the more aggressive response.

If you're really set on changing the pickups, try a DiMarzio Tone Zone or Seymour Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge and a SD Pearly Gates in the neck. If you happen to run your amp with the mids cranked up and the treble backed down a bit then a SD JB would work well for the bridge, too.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
False economy. A cheap guitar with upgrades does not become an expensive guitar. No matter what you do, you can't upgrade the wood it is made from and the way it was made.

More to the point, out of all the acts you listed, the only ones which would really benefit from the nuances of scatterwound pickups would be Aerosmith and Rush. Everything else is pretty straight-forward and would actually benefit more from using regular production pickups with well-matched coils fo the more aggressive response.

If you're really set on changing the pickups, try a DiMarzio Tone Zone or Seymour Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge and a SD Pearly Gates in the neck. If you happen to run your amp with the mids cranked up and the treble backed down a bit then a SD JB would work well for the bridge, too.

okay thanks
Quote by MrFlibble
Boutique pickups are for people who love everything about their rig, want to tweak the response they get just a tiny fraction more after they've already taken their amp, guitar and pedals as far as they can go, know exactly what they're buying and want absolute customisation regardless of cost.

I also wish to stress that scatterwound pickups tend to exaggerate a guitar's nature, almost regardless of the actual specification of the pickup. A $350 guitar with $210 pickups won't sound like a $560 guitar, it will just sound more like a $350 guitar.

this is pure truth right here through and through, that the difference i've found between bkp/lundgren and SD/Dimarzio etc. there are very very slight differences, almost akin to boutique amps or guitars really
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
+1 to Custom 5, I have a Custom in my H-301. It's a good jack of all trades, which it sounds like you want.

That list is pretty huge. You may be better off narrowing it down to 2 or 3.

You could also consider a modeling amp, or saving up for another amp to cover all that ground. A 6505 excels at some of it, but would be quite a bad choice for some of it.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X