Hello Guitarists,
I am having a hard time finding effects that will give me a unique metal tone.
What I am trying to find is a combo that will give me great tone but not break the bank.
At the moment I have $250 (I could stretch a little more). The current effects pedals I have are fulltone gt 500, mxr 6 band eq, rocktron hush. I went to Guitar Center yesterday, and brought meself a mxr fullbore metal, Boss distorion ds1. My plan was I would try the fullbore with the rocktron hush (to tame it more.) At first I didn't like it, but I messed with the eq on the thing and tamed the farty bass. But it still isnt what I am looking for. So my plan B is to go with the GT500 + Boss ds1 (for additional distortion) IT WAS LOUD, but it wasn't smooth. I know GT500 emphasizes a lot on the treble end and it was a bad combo with the Boss since that focused on that also. I also borrowed my friends OCD, but nothing worked with that either. All of the combos I tried are either to spunky or muffled. Here are some links on the tone I am trying to get.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pQEywzR4QbM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rXLe-PjzAxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G7VTdpkZnfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RjVT0MhSNeo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Can you recommend some effects/ effects combo's that could help me get to this?

I'm wanting something between a very good thrash tone, but not to fuzz on the distortion, very tight distortion almost like with mishas in periphery. good enough for fast articulate alternate picking on a heavy gauge downtuned string. Youknowwhattameanjellybean?

Anyways....

thanks for your knowledgeable assistance,
Blaughsfame

P.S. Although I brought the two mentioned pedals, I plan on returning them back and buying used ones on ebay. I just brought them there to try them out and return them. But being a college student that lives 40 min. away from the nearest guitar center, I can't afford to make this trip frequently.

P.S.S. I like to try them on my amp that I have on my house, which is a 5150 peavy single speaker 1x12 amp combo. and my guitar, an Ibanez rg470ah with a d activator x in the bridge. and I almost for got to mention, what I am looking for is something that comes close to the Insane setting on the Peavy vypers but I want more control in its uniqueness if that makes any sense.

Also this is my first post.
Current amp?

Edit saw 5150, buy a voodoo lab micro vibe it actually does metal extremely well in metal and wouldn't be a common combo.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Apr 4, 2013,
Quote by blaughsfame

P.S.S. I like to try them on my amp that I have on my house, which is a 5150 peavy single speaker 1x12 amp combo. and my guitar, an Ibanez rg470ah with a d activator x in the bridge. and I almost for got to mention, what I am looking for is something that comes close to the Insane setting on the Peavy vypers but I want more control in its uniqueness if that makes any sense.

Almost nothing in this paragraph makes sense.

There is no such think as a 5150 1x12, and there is no insane setting on a Vypyr.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Almost nothing in this paragraph makes sense.

There is no such think as a 5150 1x12, and there is no insane setting on a Vypyr.

x2. Troll fail.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
No idea about the 5150 1x12, but I think he means the insane setting on those line 6 amps. Could be wrong though, just trying to make sense. I also know nothing about the vyprs.
Well, I found out that you cant see the videos from the links. How do you post links on here? I am new to forums. I am trying to get something close to Ron Jarzombek's from Blotted Science. I really love his tight tone, I also like the tone from Periphery, not the Djent, but the tone that is very tight and really articulate. What are some pedals that could give me that tight distorted tone without flooding with fuzz?
Just get an EQ, Tubescreamer and a noise gate. Why are you trying to mess around with a bunch of crappy distortion and overdrive pedals when you have a 5150?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It's kinda strange that you want a dirt pedal with a 6505 for modern high gain. Even if you're really set on using a pedal, the 6505 probably isn't the best option for playing that pedal. Sell your 6505 plus your budget should get you $700 to buy a new amp with easy. Then you can look at some differently voiced high gain amps like JSX, Ultra, Engls, and Mesas.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
You could pick an eq or a boost.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.