I've been doing my own stuff uploading rough songs all the time, and my plan was to pick about 5 songs to spend extended time working on and bring them to a studio where I'd record my first ep if only to have something to show for my efforts. But lately I've been starting to think that I really am not going anywhere musically. I'd like to think that I'm doing something that's wholly my own, but I dunno... it just feels like no matter what I do, I'm never as good as what I want so I've been starting to think that maybe I should just stop wasting time focusin on my musical pursuits and just stop, sell my stuff, and move on to spending my time on something else...

Have you guys ever had these thoughts before? What do you think? Here's a link to my profile (www.reverbnation.com/blackscreen) with some of the songs I record so you can see for yourself if there's even any potential to them...

Last edited by Betaciao at Apr 4, 2013,
I listened to your first song "just a hit" and thought, this guy has to be trolling.
I listened to all your songs, Just a hit is the best one you got imo, even though it's barely a song simply because of it's length. Make it into one, it's really great, as long as you can find a good B part or A part to it, your set.
The rest is kinda hard to follow, it just doesnt flow harmonically and melodically.
No distinctive and characteristic melodies as far as i can tell. Remember, this is just my opinion.
You clearly have experimented alot, and have tried alot of different effects and you can produce something of your own, which is very good. Just spend more time with a song until you can say, ok this is really something here, i got something good here, this will be a song.
Just a hit is a really nice snippet of what could be a good song. And ofcourse you dont quit dude.
Last edited by Ignore at Apr 4, 2013,
If you feel your skills are lacking knuckle down and practice!
It really should be something you enjoy, if your not having fun why the hell are you doing it
i had these thoughts as well, i stopped composing music completely and play the guitar only on very rare occasions, currently in the process of selling my stuff

if you feel you need to quit, so be it, and you can come back if you find out you didn't actually want to
I don't expect to be a famous guitarist or make a million dolars. I play guitar because it is who I am and what I do, I love it.

Everything else I do is so that a, I can provide for my children and b, so that I can play music. Unfortunately those pesky things like working to feed my kids, put a roof over their heads, and keep myself in strings makes such an imposition on my time that I don't get to play as much as I would like. Something's gotta change.

The position that you are describing is not really something that I can understand.
Si
Quote by :-D
i had these thoughts as well, i stopped composing music completely and play the guitar only on very rare occasions, currently in the process of selling my stuff

if you feel you need to quit, so be it, and you can come back if you find out you didn't actually want to

Bummer bud... keep the bare necessities though. This feeling passes and suddenly you get to a "WTF did I do that for' moment. The last few years have been like that for me, but I never sold stuff cos I'm a frikkin squirrel, hehe. If need be, put it in a closet or garage (in a corner it can't get damaged by water or whatever happens in a garage nowadays).
Just play for the fun of it? Or find someone to work with.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by Betaciao
I've been doing my own stuff uploading rough songs all the time, and my plan was to pick about 5 songs to spend extended time working on and bring them to a studio where I'd record my first ep if only to have something to show for my efforts. But lately I've been starting to think that I really am not going anywhere musically. I'd like to think that I'm doing something that's wholly my own, but I dunno... it just feels like no matter what I do, I'm never as good as what I want so I've been starting to think that maybe I should just stop wasting time focusin on my musical pursuits and just stop, sell my stuff, and move on to spending my time on something else...

Have you guys ever had these thoughts before? What do you think? Here's a link to my profile (www.reverbnation.com/blackscreen) with some of the songs I record so you can see for yourself if there's even any potential to them...

Nice way to troll and simultaneously get listens on RN.
Everybody in any field or skill or artform or craft begins to get this feeling sometimes man. I started getting like that a lot. I recommend trying other ambitions and when you find something you love and do well THEN sell this stuff because I was on the same boat as you for months until I started getting a little more fans then usual on my soundcloud in the last week, but I still played and tried to write even in that rut. That said, I used to play football in middle school and high school and I put in all the off season work but when it came down to it, I sucked at football and I just didn't want to play everyday so after Junior year I knew it wasn't who I was even though I wanted to be a great athlete so I quit.
"Then I saw that there was a way to hell, even from the gates of heaven."
-John Bunyan
P.s. listened to your stuff, I thought it was actually pretty good and interesting. I like if only. You should try and keep occasional practice.
"Then I saw that there was a way to hell, even from the gates of heaven."
-John Bunyan
Chapman guy explained something in one of his videos;
-take a piece of paper and write everything you do or have at the moment
-record/film yourself playing

If you get lost after a while (like you are), then just have a look back at these recordings. You'll see wether you've had an evolution or not. Don't give up?

Sometimes a break of a week or a couple of days is enough to bring back motivation and even "skills". I had it multiple times, just playing around and failing, stopping for a couple of days, picking up my guitar again and playing like a mofo!
Last edited by AmirT at Apr 4, 2013,
I just had a listen, I quite like some of it. Ego death is cool, reminds me of the film escape from New York a little... Keep going I say!
So they can lick my
sack
Quote by 20Tigers
I don't expect to be a famous guitarist or make a million dolars. I play guitar because it is who I am and what I do, I love it.

Everything else I do is so that a, I can provide for my children and b, so that I can play music. Unfortunately those pesky things like working to feed my kids, put a roof over their heads, and keep myself in strings makes such an imposition on my time that I don't get to play as much as I would like. Something's gotta change.

The position that you are describing is not really something that I can understand.
This...

I can understand quitting a career in music (or pursuit of one). I can see how brutal that could be and how it could rob one of their love of the art. But to just quit all together? Ive only been playing 4ish years and I incorporate guitar into everything I can. I play the acoustic for the baby. I jam with my buddies. My strat, GB LP, Fender Jazz bass, 3 amps, backup acoustic, pedals and looper all live in my daughters bedroom (its huge). I bought her a nice mic and she's a great vocalist (for 12) and dubs loops all the time. Its ubiquitous in my house. I could go on about this all day...

I started playing guitar because I have been playing amatuer hardball (baseball) for about 15 years, knew it was getting near the end and started switching my focus from sports to music as I get older and creaky.

Hearing that someone wants to sell their gear actually makes me sad. The world is full of people that spout shit. I dont even log into FB because Im sick of politics and people's donkee opinions. What the world needs more of is people who put out music instead of crap. Dont leave!!!! Dont quit! Take a break, but music is a gift man. Take it from someone who from puberty to age 35 would listen to music on the headphones, hear those magic riffs and melodies that would make the hairs raise on my neck (aka goosebumps) and just wish I could create such magic. Its a gift mate... plain and simple.
he of tranquil mind
Thanks a lot for the motivation guys. Its good to hear words of wisdom from other people who've gone through the same. I'm only 22 so I guess I definitely do have a lot of room to grow and plenty of time. And sorry to the others who thought I was trolling for listens... wasn't my intention. I just sort of reached a breaking point last night where I was so fed up with myself because I tend to always expect better in what I do... But what you guys all said makes sense. If anything I think I need to start spacing out the time I spend playing and get back to enjoying it for the experience instead of always expecting some sort of master work to come out of what I do.
I think you're setting the bar too high, or playing for the wrong reasons.

I used to think I had a good chance at making alot of money playing music, but I did alot of gigging and came to the realization that it was very unlikely. A few times I do believe I was in a really good group and we had great ideas going, but the band always just fell apart.

I've gone through long periods of time without picking up my instrument.. but you always come back to it, even just to play for fun.. like you should be doing in the first place. I struggle to play often because after working a full time job, and being in a serious relationship I don't play nearly as much as i'd like to. Maybe you're like me and you need other musicians to stay motivated.. try and seek out a band or even just someone to jam with often
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Apr 4, 2013,
If you need to, take a little break. Don't sell your stuff yet.

What always helped when I'd get into of those schlumpy kind of mindsets is finding new music. Get into a new band, find something that inspires you. Even it's just learning a few new songs or wanting to write something similar to what you're hearing, getting inspired by some new music always helped me feel a lot better about it.

And if what you write now sucks (I'm not able to listen to it right now, so I'm definitely NOT saying it sucks, I don't know), then think about it. What did you not like about it? See what you were aiming for and listen to songs that you feel captured that. Learn the song (I'd recommend by ear), and see how it works. And keep writing more stuff. To find out how to right what you want, first you have to understand how to write what you don't want. When you write something you don't like, figure out why you don't like it. And if you absolutely can't figure out how to rectify the problem with it, learn some songs that don't have the problem, analyze them, figure out how and why they work.

So find some people to play with, find some new music. I can't understate the helpfulness of those two things. Without music to inspire you, you wouldn't want to learn to write music anyways, it's easy to forget about that. Playing with friends is just a huge learning experience and it's a lot of fun. Just have fun for a while. It's not always the most technically useful practice you could have, but sometimes it really helps you improve.