Page 1 of 2
A police force has begun recording attacks on members of subcultures, such as goths and emos, as hate crimes.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) is the first force in the UK to treat the offences in such a way.

Previously hate crimes were only registered for offences against race, religion, disability, sexual orientation or transgender identity.

GMP has worked with a charity set up following the murder of 20-year-old goth Sophie Lancaster in 2007.

Ms Lancaster was attacked in a park in Bacup, Lancashire, on 24 August 2007, along with her boyfriend Robert Maltby, because of the way they were dressed.

She was kicked and stamped on as she cradled her badly beaten boyfriend.

After her death, family and friends set up the Sophie Lancaster Foundation.

The charity campaigns to change attitudes in society towards people who may have a different lifestyle or appearance.

Saucy

Whaddaya think? Meaningless, or long overdue? Have these groups been bullied too much, or not been bullied enough (I'm looking at you, Neo)?
I, for one, have long thought that emos and similar degenerates were as bad as (if not worse than) queers, and should be treated as such in the eyes of the law.

██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████

[Dropbox]
why do you have kensai's signature?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Is emo even still a thing? Damn.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Is emo even still a thing? Damn.

The woman talking about this on the news also mentioned 'punks'.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
how will they grow out of that phase if they're not bullied out of it? bullies are a necessity in providing us with adults that don't wear emo shit (im looking at you billie joel armstrong. you're far too old to be wearing eyeliner)
There all just looking for attention, stop giving it to them!
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by Hydra150
The woman talking about this on the news also mentioned 'punks'.

Punks are very much still a thing, as are skinheads and all that jazz.

Does attacking chavs count as a hate crime?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by SkepsisMetal
What about chavs?
Are we still allowed to kick them when they pass out in shop doorways?

ur 1 cheeky kunt m8
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Does anyone remember 'Chavs' were called 'Townies'???
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

Quote by slash_GNR666

Yep They sound so unthreatening as 'townies'.

Quote by blake1221
so I don't exist?

You're stuck in 2007, man. You're like Rip Van Winkle with a fringe.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Trowzaa

Thank God it wasn't just me then
Quote by lambofgod127

hate crime laws r stupid
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Trowzaa

In Newcastle (when I was in school at least..) people called them 'radgies'.

He's a proper radgie.
Now all they need is a time machine to go back to last decade

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by SMH07
In Newcastle (when I was in school at least..) people called them 'radgies'.

He's a proper radgie.

I still hear that used down here. We use it more for just complete scumbags, rather than chavs. Like all chavs would be radgies but not all radgies would be chavs.

Quote by slash_GNR666

yeah.

When I was in school someone once asked the teacher if he was a Townie and he replied, 'No, i'm a villager.'
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by slash_GNR666

I still call them "scallies".

I find "chav" a bit embarrassing really. Nobody said it until one year for some reason the newspapers all decided that kids being twats was breaking news and hit on chav as a buzzword.
Quote by cptcomet
yeah.

When I was in school someone once asked the teacher if he was a Townie and he replied, 'No, i'm a villager.'

Quote by MadClownDisease
I still call them "scallies".

I just call them knobs
Quote by lambofgod127

The goths I hung out with when I was in high school had names like Psycho, Rage, Syd, and Bloodrack.

They were all pretty violent and didn't need any help from anyone. I don't think I ever saw any of them crying, for any reason.

What are they a bunch of pansies now?

Psycho will be rolling over in his grave over this. (He died in a knife fight that he started all by himself, in the projects, Senior year. RIP Psycho)
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by Hydra150
Have these groups been bullied too much, or not been bullied enough (I'm looking at you, Neo)?
I, for one, have long thought that emos and similar degenerates were as bad as (if not worse than) queers, and should be treated as such in the eyes of the law.

I think that they were not bullied enough, but this goes too far.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Emos are like the N. Korea of people. They aren't gonna do shit, they're frail, and most civilized people want them blown off the face of the Earth.

I'm sorry, what's this thread about?
Quote by captainsnazz
I would normally make a joke, but I remember when that girl died and it was pretty sad

In all seriousness I'm totally behind this. It was a hate crime.

word up I agree
Perty soon they'll make'a hate crime for nerds, too. Can't beat up or give a swirlie to a nerd cuz it's a hate crime!
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by magnus_maximus
Good. Also stop pretending to be Kensai with that sig, I'm onto you.

It's not a sig, he added it to his post so that people would think it was Kensai with another BBC article. It's a hommage. Beautiful
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
in er herts
;_;

How do you people feel about the possibility that the police will take the bullying/harassment of someone with stupid hair, skinny jeans and a band T shirt more seriously than if the act was committed against someone with a respectable haircut (etc)?
Quote by Hydra150

How do you people feel about the possibility that the police will take the bullying/harassment of someone with stupid hair, skinny jeans and a band T shirt more seriously than if the act was committed against someone with a respectable haircut (etc)?

They wont.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Frankly, they are taking this too far. Bullies are necessary for life. It's proof of Darwin's survival of the fittest. I was bullied - a lot - and to be honest, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. It made me normal, and fit in. Emos, Goths and Gays and anyone else who is different should be bullied into being normal.

RIP Adam
It's just a gesture, anyone convicted of hate crimes again "alternative subcultures" or whatever is not going to receive a harsher sentence.

It also seems a bit lacking in how it defines victims; how many piercings do you need to be a goth? How many colours in your hair to be an emo?

I'm all for filing crimes committed due to appearance under hate crimes, but that fact that this law is addressed specifically at alternative subcultures, combined with the issues mentioned above, makes me think it's nothing more than a pretty meaningless gesture which might raise more issues than it helps.
Up The Boro!
Quote by Oddsbodkins
It also seems a bit lacking in how it defines victims; how many piercings do you need to be a goth? How many colours in your hair to be an emo?

It's not necessary to define it, if some chavs are attacking you because they think you're a goth or something (whether you identify as one or not), then it is a hate crime.
Quote by SexyLikeAPig
Frankly, they are taking this too far. Bullies are necessary for life. It's proof of Darwin's survival of the fittest. I was bullied - a lot - and to be honest, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. It made me normal, and fit in. Emos, Goths and Gays and anyone else who is different should be bullied into being normal.

Those who aspire to normality and those who aspire to mediocrity are by definition indistinguishable.
Quote by captainsnazz
It's not necessary to define it, if some chavs are attacking you because they think you're a goth or something (whether you identify as one or not), then it is a hate crime.

Well that's what I think it should be, yeah, but it's not clear that it is like that at the moment. Otherwise why would they feel the need to specify what sort of appearance the victim should have, even vaguely? Why make it about alternative subcultures, not just general appearance? Once you break down the group it applies to, at all, you've made boundaries and grey areas.
Up The Boro!
Croydon is also in Surrey
Page 1 of 2