For home recording, playing, I wanna get that swedish death metal tone. I'll be running it through a UX1, will this work? I didn't wanna splash all out on a HM-2 and just get the HM300, or should I just got for the HM2?

Or can I get this tone through Guitar Rig without needing the pedal?
Last edited by Andrew/WK at Apr 4, 2013,
I have a patch I could send you if you want. It's a Guitar Rig 4 patch based on Desultory's guitar tone. I found it online randomly methinks.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW4MGqn8uk8

They are basically the same but there is some differences due to diferent parts used but you can get the same sound from both. All dimed for stereotypical Left Hand Path sound and fined tuned from there (like turning the hi/mid knob just hair short from max. maxed its more br00tal but is too fuzzy) to get your note definition back.

Biggest difference is built quality. The plastic casing is sturdy but build and parts are crappy, its Behringer afterall. So, have a spare if you gig with one.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 4, 2013,
Quote by Andrew/WK
Yeah please mate!

I forgot this thread, sorry.
Here it is.
It sounds pretty fuzzy and huge and I have a cheap strat knock off, dunno how it'll sound with a better guitar.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
To me, there is a difference -- the HM-2 sounds better. There's just something to its tonal character that can't really be duplicated exactly. But the Berringer can achieve an equally gnarly tone.

As a side note, I've never been able to get a good tone by diming all the controls like all the youtube videos say -- but that might just be that I'm using an already high-gain amp. It just sounds completely washed out and inarticulate/can't even identify what I'm playing. I actually run the "distortion" knob all the way off and in my effects loop as a boost to my lead channel. The low mid knob is all the way up, however; high-mids just shy of fully cranked (too fizzy and harsh with it all the way up). With those settings it not only gets that trademark buzzsaw sound, it is also very heavy on palm mutes and tracks my riffing very tightly.

When I run it up front of the amp it gets that tone even better, but I've found that the articulation is very lacking/not very tight.
Quote by nighttwolf
I just made this the other day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1amGBkcMLnQ it's a good comparison between the two. Check it.

Excellent comparison. Behringer is more aggressive but take both knobs down a notch and its closer to HM2. But still there is a clear difference. The difference is propably nothing more than couple of resistor and cap values, maybe pots too. I wish someone more electric savvy would take both apart and compare them to see where they differ and if HM300 could be modded back to HM2 specs.

behringer build quality is typically shit. I'd go for the HM-2

But thats the problem. HM2 is vintage gear, has not been in production since early 90s and bands using them are hoarding them. Hence the prices on ebay are rising (particularly the MIJ one) day by day. The Behringer clone is the only pedal that can do this sound and does not cost arm and leg for us bedroom guitarists.

I wish Boss would reissue this. There has been couple of petitions but response has been the same. Its old and Boss aims for future and offer its successor MT-2 as alternative. Our response to that is **** NO!

As a side note, I've never been able to get a good tone by diming all the controls like all the youtube videos say -- but that might just be that I'm using an already high-gain amp. It just sounds completely washed out and inarticulate/can't even identify what I'm playing. I actually run the "distortion" knob all the way off and in my effects loop as a boost to my lead channel. The low mid knob is all the way up, however; high-mids just shy of fully cranked (too fizzy and harsh with it all the way up). With those settings it not only gets that trademark buzzsaw sound, it is also very heavy on palm mutes and tracks my riffing very tightly.

The all knobs to 10 came from the Ekeroths vid and I think the consensus is that he was only half serious. You do get the tone, but a very unwieldly one. The Left Hand Path (and Rotten Sound) stuff and that album sounded ugly as sin. In a good way. Later ones were less crazy.

I've had best luck with running it through crunch channel (or OD1 in Valvestate with low gain) with both low and high/mid in pedal just short of cranked, level about 1 a clock and distortion turned just a hair, enough for it to actually do something. It sounds accurate but doesnt offer much crunch on palm mutes. That was fixed by adding a tubescreamer before it and boosting the pedal a bit. An idea I got from Lasse Lammerts video and it works great.

*edit* Might as well as link it. Its not a big boost, its just there to get more chunk for palm mutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw6c44hUK8o

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Nov 12, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus
I wish Boss would reissue this. There has been couple of petitions but response has been the same. Its old and Boss aims for future and offer its successor MT-2 as alternative. Our response to that is **** NO!

The all knobs to 10 came from the Ekeroths vid and I think the consensus is that he was only half serious. You do get the tone, but a very unwieldly one. The Left Hand Path (and Rotten Sound) stuff and that album sounded ugly as sin. In a good way. Later ones were less crazy.

I have one, not sure how much they vary (I think mine is Taiwan?) but IMO, all knobs to 10 puts way too many beez in the can. I rarely push the hi knob past 12, otherwise you lose all the chugga chug.

They seem to go on ebay for reasonable prices fairly often http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-BOSS-HM-2-HEAVY-METAL-Distortion-Effects-Pedal-by-Roland-Inst-of-Japan-/200984590030?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2ecb9d76ce

and this guy obviously didnt google hard enough to figure out the daisy chain trick...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Boss-HM-2-Heavy-Metal-Japan-/321246892045?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4acbce900d
Quote by 7thString
I have one, not sure how much they vary (I think mine is Taiwan?) but IMO, all knobs to 10 puts way too many beez in the can. I rarely push the hi knob past 12, otherwise you lose all the chugga chug.

They seem to go on ebay for reasonable prices fairly often http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-BOSS-HM-2-HEAVY-METAL-Distortion-Effects-Pedal-by-Roland-Inst-of-Japan-/200984590030?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2ecb9d76ce

I dont know about you but I dont consider starting price of 50 bucks (will end closer to 80 if I have to guesstimate) + 30 bucks for international shipping reasonable for a pedal that was cheap rubbish back in the day.

And turning the hi knob high is only for that monstrous Entombed sound. I havent managed to get it any way else atleast. Turn it down and it sounds something else.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Yeah I get what you mean. The way I see it, your getting a versatile, well made pedal that sounds good in a lot of situations; for the same price as any other modern-day dirt pedal of the same caliber.
Quote by 7thString
Yeah I get what you mean. The way I see it, your getting a versatile, well made pedal that sounds good in a lot of situations; for the same price as any other modern-day dirt pedal of the same caliber.

As versatile as all-knobs-11 allows.

Oh I WILL own HM2 at some point, just cant justify it right now. The Behringer will do to fix my occasional Swede hunger, for now.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by KailM
As a side note, I've never been able to get a good tone by diming all the controls like all the youtube videos say -- but that might just be that I'm using an already high-gain amp. It just sounds completely washed out and inarticulate/can't even identify what I'm playing.

When in front of the amp, the "everything at 10" setting only sounds good with solid state amps, most of those old Swedish bands used solid state amps on the classic albums. That setting would probably be pushing the preamp tubes too hard in a tube amp so it sounds all ****ed up. When I dial the level knob back to around unity level it sounds a bit clearer.

The best result I got from the HM2 with a tube amp is plugging it straight into the FX loop return and use the HM2 as a preamp. That way it's kind of like running it into a clean solid state amp yet you still get the feel of a tube amp.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Quote by godgrinder
When in front of the amp, the "everything at 10" setting only sounds good with solid state amps, most of those old Swedish bands used solid state amps on the classic albums. That setting would probably be pushing the preamp tubes too hard in a tube amp so it sounds all ****ed up. When I dial the level knob back to around unity level it sounds a bit clearer.

The best result I got from the HM2 with a tube amp is plugging it straight into the FX loop return and use the HM2 as a preamp. That way it's kind of like running it into a clean solid state amp yet you still get the feel of a tube amp.

One big culript is the level knob. I wouldnt turn that to 10 even on solid states. It adds nothing good to the sound, just noise and makes it feedback even worse. Better keep it around unity volume (around 12 a clock depending where the dist knob is set)

BTW, I tried to use my Behringer at FX Return and it sounded really anemic. Not a lot of gain even when the dist knob was maxed (and tubescreamer didnt help much). It was also very dark and not in a good way. I havent used it in a while so its possible the Behringer quality kicked and the pedal is kicking the bucket. Though I still did manage to get the Swedish DM sound when I putted it up front.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
BTW, I tried to use my Behringer at FX Return and it sounded really anemic. Not a lot of gain even when the dist knob was maxed (and tubescreamer didnt help much). It was also very dark and not in a good way.

Did you max the level knob? You would probably need a bit of volume out of the pedal so the power amp section gets enough signal...
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Quote by godgrinder
Did you max the level knob? You would probably need a bit of volume out of the pedal so the power amp section gets enough signal...

That helped. Thanks.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3