Was just looking at a few guitars on eBay, and noticed on a guitar of one with a Tune O Matic (les paul style) bridge, the strings were threaded through the tail piece from the "wrong" side and wrapped around. Now I know you get some wrap around tail pieces like on a PRS single cut Tremonti for example, but I've never seen that on a two piece bridge assembly.

Has anyone seen this before? Would it have any advantage like sustain perhaps, or just someone's old habit?

Cheers!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Some claim that it enhances sustain because it allows for you to screw the tailpiece right to the deck of the guitar, but i've heard no difference myself.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Some claim that it enhances sustain because it allows for you to screw the tailpiece right to the deck of the guitar, but i've heard no difference myself.

Can you not screw the tailpiece right down anyway?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

It's more of a string tension thing. When I top wrap, I find my strings to feel a bit slinkier. That doesn't increase sustain or anything like that.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It's more of a string tension thing. When I top wrap, I find my strings to feel a bit slinkier. That doesn't increase sustain or anything like that.

Ah that's cool, I might give that a try sometime. Interesting, as it's technically not increasing scale length but experimenting with
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Quote by makutoid

you could but then the strings would make contact with the bridge behind the saddles. and that would be bad.

here is a normal set up. see how the tailpiece is way up off the body? people think that's bad, all robbin' your lester of toanz.

but see how the string only touches the bridge at the saddles and not behind the saddles? that's good.

compare to this.

now the tailpiece is flush with the body and the strings still don't touch anywhere behind the saddles as well.

the point is to drop the tailpiece, but keep string clearance behind the saddles.

now whether there is an increased slinkyness or improved sustain, that's been debated to death and i'm staying out of it.

but that's what they are trying to achieve.
I did it because it does honestly make the strings feel like a gauge lower.

II thought the other day about scale lengths and people saying the strings feel looser or tighter. But surely that's a load of crap because the strings need to be pulled to the same tension for them to hit 440 not matter how long they are?
tried it once and didnt notice any difference on sustain or tone. what i didnt like was that now my hand was sort of resting on the strings between the bridge and tailpiece, and it was kind of distracting really.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by makutoid

You can't without the strings touching the edge of your bridge and cutting your strings.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

II thought the other day about scale lengths and people saying the strings feel looser or tighter. But surely that's a load of crap because the strings need to be pulled to the same tension for them to hit 440 not matter how long they are?

The longer the string is, the more tension they need to reach the same pitch.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 5, 2013,
I would wager that there might be a difference in sustain but it depends entirely on the quality/material of the tailpiece. A more vibrant metal would likely yield a slightly higher sustain, with the opposite also being true.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
This thread makes me love my LTD EC100qm, tailbar sat as low as it will go, no top wrap and my strings still sit in the saddles perfectly. I have quite a low action though, so the lower bridge will affect this.
Quote by Acϵ♠
I would wager that there might be a difference in sustain but it depends entirely on the quality/material of the tailpiece. A more vibrant metal would likely yield a slightly higher sustain, with the opposite also being true.

vibrant meaning it's what exactly? not sure i follow what you mean by vibrant.
Quote by gregs1020
vibrant meaning it's what exactly? not sure i follow what you mean by vibrant.

more conductive of vibrations, ergo sound. If you have a thick, dense, heavy tailpiece that vibrates a lot, i would bet that the sustain would be greater (however immeasurably or otherwise). If your tailpiece was really crappy, light, and not dense, it would kill vibrations off faster, thus limiting the sustain

like i said, it would have an effect, im just not sure how big or small that effect would be. By having more of the string in contact with the tailpiece in a wraparound style, it would certainly be a factor in sustain though.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Acϵ♠
more conductive of vibrations, ergo sound. If you have a thick, dense, heavy tailpiece that vibrates a lot, i would bet that the sustain would be greater (however immeasurably or otherwise). If your tailpiece was really crappy, light, and not dense, it would kill vibrations off faster, thus limiting the sustain.

Ive only heard the opposite in terms of LPs. Everybody wants the aluminum tailpieces and shit.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Yeah, it depends on the metal, im not exactly sure which ones would be best in terms of maintaining the vibration and resonance. But the science behind it is still true.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

I thought that this thread was about Tom.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
I thought that this thread was about Tom.

Tom wrap-around?

Totally not gay.
Quote by TheSennaj