Hello!
I need to know, whats the best way to paint the guitar body.
I think spray cans aint soo good, so
Whats about Car Paint?
Im thinking of painting guitar in Car paintshop, i mean, if i can do that.
Car paint must be good i think,
i just need guitar body to be smooth.
What you think?
Spray paint works well if you use enough coats and get the right paint. And by "right paint" I mean "use Krylon or any other top shelf stuff or else it's going to look like dick".

Car paint will work just fine. If I'm not mistaken, I think old Fender's were painted with car paint. But I think that was something I overheard.
Painting with automotive paint has gotten a bit different now, depending on the local regulations. In a lot of North America solvent based paints have been banned due to the VOC content in them and replaced with a new Waterborne paint. For the most part I believe solvent based paints were your polyurethane and nitro; waterborne is slightly different being latex. Some tone snobs might not approve of this but honestly I cant see it being that much of a difference.

You can certainly use and spray bomb and get good results, it is just a crude form of a compressed air spray gun. The biggest factor in a nice paint job is how you prep the wood to take paint. I used spray bombs to paint a new fender for my car one time, three cans of color and two of clear coat, once the clear was dry I wet sanded it and polished it up, almost matched the factory paint identically. Just make sure the surface is clean and oil free, use constant motion and spray in small bursts and stay the proper distance away to reduce the chance of over spray.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
A lot of guitar companies in the past used automotive paint. Spray paint works alright but you better use two to three cans and then at least a can or two of clear coat. Wet sanding is a must. I prefer automotive paint because it doesn't chip as easily...
Throwing my 2 cents in: I have done 4 guitars this way. I go to the autoparts store and buy sandable primer, my color choice, and a can of clearcoat (I like "Duplicolor" products). Pay attention to what you are doing, make sure the body is clean, and follow the instructions on the can. Hell, I've even successfully pulled off a greenburst on an old strat style guitar! If you are worried about the look, try on some scrap wood first.
Oh, if you have a wide open grain to deal with, stewmac has some good grain filler.
Check out Reranch spray lacquer. Prime, paint, clear coat, level and buff. Do it right and you'll have a glass finish.
Im from Europe, we have some another stuff here mean - paint can brands.
In good paint, i mean Good quality painting, so body will be SMOOTH!
I need it to be ideal!
Nitro is a type of laqcuer. It is considered to be vintage-spec. It is very thin and ages nicely. I prefer shellac or polyurethane, though.
Can i get this type of paint, laqcuer in spray-can? Will body be smooth?
I've gotten good results using Duplicolor (car paint) rattle cans. It's laquer based so it works nicely with Minwax clear and such.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by BaDG0oD
Can i get this type of paint, laqcuer in spray-can? Will body be smooth?

The smoothness of the finish is dependent on you more than the paint. You must prep the paint surfaces and WET SAND to get a smooth surface. I typically use 7+ coats of color and at least the same amount of clear.

You need to put on light coats of paint and let them dry inbetween coats. after you do the color coats then you wet-sand starting with 600 grit and moving to 800, 1000,1200,1400+. This will smoth the paint out. Then you start your clear coats. after the clear coats I then wet-sand again. Then I use car-polish swirl remover with a sponge drill attachment.

Look on youtube there are some great videos
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I got alder body, its never been painted, so its clean wood.
So,
First i polish it, surface will be smooth,
Then i start to paint, i put light coats of paint.
After paint coats are finished, i start to wet-sand the body?
After it i put some clear coats, and then wet sand it again,
Right?

I just wonder, i have another option. I thought i can go to Car Paintshop, and ask car painter to paint my guitar. I will polish guitar, prep. for painting, and master will paint it like car? Like, few coats, polish it, and clear coat? I guess.
Just my option.
Quote by Robbgnarly
The smoothness of the finish is dependent on you more than the paint. You must prep the paint surfaces and WET SAND to get a smooth surface. I typically use 7+ coats of color and at least the same amount of clear.

You need to put on light coats of paint and let them dry inbetween coats. after you do the color coats then you wet-sand starting with 600 grit and moving to 800, 1000,1200,1400+. This will smoth the paint out. Then you start your clear coats. after the clear coats I then wet-sand again. Then I use car-polish swirl remover with a sponge drill attachment.

Look on youtube there are some great videos

After i polish clean body, should i put something on it, or i can start putting paint on it?
Go to youtube and look up sullys guitar garage channel. The guy has great videos on refinishing with spray cans. He has a ton of videos on everything guitar building. I highly suggest you look at them it will answer your questions and he will show you the steps.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by BaDG0oD
I got alder body, its never been painted, so its clean wood.
So,
First i polish it, surface will be smooth,
Then i start to paint, i put light coats of paint.
After paint coats are finished, i start to wet-sand the body?
After it i put some clear coats, and then wet sand it again,
Right?

I just wonder, i have another option. I thought i can go to Car Paintshop, and ask car painter to paint my guitar. I will polish guitar, prep. for painting, and master will paint it like car? Like, few coats, polish it, and clear coat? I guess.
Just my option.

You miss understood me, polishing the guitar is the last step you do. You will paint the body first.

Taking it to a car painter is a great idea, and they will typically have good paint.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
But, im going to paint it black, so i think i should use Primer?
I primer the guitar body, then polish it?
And then starting to paint, right?
Quote by BaDG0oD
But, im going to paint it black, so i think i should use Primer?
I primer the guitar body, then polish it?
And then starting to paint, right?

Yes you will want to use primer
No you do not polish the body after priming, you do that after you have painetd and clear-coated the guitar, then you wet sand and polish the guitar.

LOOK AT FINISHING VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE. I recommend Sullys guitar garage on youtube.

If you do not do it right it will look like crap
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate