Hey guys, sorry if this is in the wrong section, really wasn't too sure which part to post this in seeing as it's not directly a sale post.

Basically I have a pickle and i'm wondering what everyone else would do in my situation. Forget what model of guitar it is, for the purpose of my question just imagine it's like your dream guitar or one of at least.

Basically my car has finally packed it in which means i'm currently vehicle-less. My band has been talking about getting a van for a while now so it seems like the time has just come one way or another.

A few people have said I should get the boys in the band to chip in but I can see the reasons for and against doing that e.g. (against) it'll be my only vehicle to drive around in so I should get my own thing rather than relying on the boys, (for) I'd be driving the van everywhere and if something were to go wrong with it it's kind of left to me to sort it out.

So i've come to the point where I need to raise some money and hopefully sooner rather than later. I'm currently not earning enough to afford something out right so my main reason for this post is this:

I have a Maton BB1200 which is basically pretty much one of the guitars that my guitar hero Josh Homme from QOTSA uses. I can get a tidy amount of cash for it but the actual parting ways with it is a really hard decision. Never thought I'd own one but I actually haven't gigged it as regularly as my les paul. I could sell it and get a nice chunk of money for some new wheels and maybe for some other things or keep it and have to think of another way to raise cash quick which is providing difficult.

What would you do? and what you would suggest I do?

Sorry for the excruciatingly long post, just thought it was necessary to explain things well. Thanks in advance to any replies
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
thats a tough thing to decide...

If you need a vehicle urgently sell the maton... if not, sell your old one for parts/scrap.

save up and buy the van, make sure you 100% own it, then when its used for band purposes, make the other guys pay for fuel costs.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Several years back I had to make a decision about whether to keep gear or take care of business. I ended up selling a beautiful Olympic White Strat, my first strat and a Fender FM 212 amp. The amp was kinda meh, but the strat as soon as it walked out the door I knew I made a mistake. I even kept the guys number in my phone and almost called about trying to buy it back sometime later. I wish I would have cut corners elsewhere, maybe went without a cellphone a couple months, sold something else. I don't know. I know that I regret it now. It sucks when your backs against a wall and you NEED money. You gotta get around though to work and gigs I suppose. Up to you man, but I would make it a last resort if that particular piece of gear means anything to you.
Guitars and Motorcycles
You can't have others pay for a van that you will be driving daily. Just find a cheap car, if the band wants to get a van then work that out separately.
Cheers guys, been helpful so far. J_W while I do agree with you at the same time i've always been the one person in the band to drive everyone everywhere anyway so on the flip side it's always been me pushing my car more than the boys would even attempt with theirs, simply 'cos I had the biggest vehicle. We could fit all of my gear, my drummers stuff and the three of us in it minus my bassist's cab. On my side of it it's possible my car would have lasted a lot longer if it didn't have to make so many long trips with all the weight in it. The boys won't have that strain on their vehicles as they never chip in in this way. I do agree with you though it just not as black and white as that I think sometimes. I'm the only one that would be able to drive a van anyway though due to age, but I know when we go on a tour my bassist will be a fanny about it and I'll likely have to drive the entire tour.

I can probably sell my old car for parts once it's broken up but ideally I'll need something within the next 6 weeks without fail and I don't know if I can get that much money by then without a sale =/
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Let me ask: could the Maton do the work of the Gibson? Do you love it more than the Gibsn?

If so, the question isn't "Should I sell the Maton?", but "Which guitar should I sell?"* You'd have to analyze what your options were if selling the Gibson would net you less money.

And, looking at your gear list- 2 heads and 3 cabs- is selling a guitar your only option? I mean, I am not a gigging musician, so I don't know your needs, but I make do with a single Fender HRD combo amp and a bunch of pedals. I AM looking to add a more "metal" combo amp to the collection, but it would be a luxury, not a necessity. Do all of your cabs see regular use?

* assuming, arguendo, that you HAVE to sell gear in order to make the vehicle purchase
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 4, 2013,
tell the rest of the band you simply can't afford to get a new vehicle and to drive them everywhere, they will soon miraculously have a load of cash to throw around for a vehicle imo. No offence but it seems your band mates are a set of lazy, slacking twats.
Danny - The Gibson is definitely my workhorse without a doubt! That guitar is going in my cremation pot with me! I'd sell a kidney before that haha! And sadly the vampower is in need of some speakers, and the ampeg is currently not in working order =/ I COULD sell one of the heads but it'd probably not bring in enough for what i'm after vehicle wise, I also think it's a good thing to have a back up amp. Be a lot easier to just get a cheaper replacement for a guitar in the long run

N1ghtmare I wouldnt not disagree with that last statement lol soemtimes you can't force the horse to the waterhole though!

We've just bagged a support slot with Gene Troutman and Dave Catching from QOTSA's new band though so hopefully they'll get a kick up the backside from this show!
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

We've just bagged a support slot with Gene Troutman and Dave Catching from QOTSA's new band though so hopefully they'll get a kick up the backside from this show!

Hey, good luck with that! You going to come through Texas?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Thanks man! I'm afraid it's just one show in Cardiff in the UK, what I'd do to go on tour and play a show in Texas though! that'd be awesome! Hopefully one day eh?
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

I had two cars, the people who were storing the one I wasnt driving got all pissy and wanted it gone so I sold it at a horrible loss, then four months later the vehicle I was driving shit on itself. I couldn't bring myself to sell my gear, as I know I would feel exactly the same way you do, I now walk to work and catch the bus to other locations, sucks big time but yeah. Have you looked at some cheap POS off craigslist or something to get you by for the mean time?
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
I've currently got my parents old crappy nissan micra, does the job fine for getting to work and such but getting my gear in it is simply not gonna happen! haha I think us getting a van has been inevitable, just the funds to getting one is the problem and the suddenness of it too
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

do what every successful 70's to 90's band did to keep afloat in the early years.

sell medicine...illicit medicine. But you didnt hear that from me and i strongly urge you not to do it as its immoral and illegal (... or do i )
keep the gear, buy a cheap car or motorcycle to get buy. Skip the van until it is a serious thing. Beg borrow and Steal.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
I don't know about the UK, but in the states we have U-Haul and you can rent trucks or trailers for really cheap. I rent trailers for $15 a day which is perfectly fine, and for an extra $5 you get $5000 of insurance. I have towed them all over the USA playing gigs.

If you do buy a van, the band should at least pay the gas when you have a show, the rest is on you. It is the basic dilemma of being in a band, how much do you like it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate