Question for my CV bitches. So there exist some sites (or at least one of them, I know Coursera) where you can do online university courses in various fields and from various universities; basically you follow lectures and make assignments (which get graded). Although most of them don't carry real credits from a university, you do have to hand in homework and sometimes make a test. If you pass all assignments you get a certificate.

If you had passed such a course with distinction, would you be able to put it on your CV granted that you have the certificate to prove it?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by captainsnazz
Yep. At the very least you get a some sort of reference from the teacher.

Does the certificate with his signature on it count as a reference?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11

Don't think so. Pretty sure you have to contact the person and ask for them to be a reference and get their details, like a phone number in case someone asks in the future
The time has come for all to see

The men behind the curtain cast at you disease

Yours Sincerely
I wouldn't. At most casually mention it in the interview to show you have interest in some area.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I wouldn't. At most casually mention it in the interview to show you have interest in some area.

So the 6 hours per week for 10 weeks was just a joke?

edit: there are actually a shit ton of universities participating in this project. Mine were provided by the universities of Stanford and Washington.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Apr 4, 2013,
Quote by Neo Evil11

Not sure, I've not actually taken one of these courses.

Quote by ErikLensherr

I think you're underestimating the value of these courses. They're definitely worth putting on your CV. They're modules run by actual professors from actual universities and you have to do actual work.
Maybe mention it in a personal statement/personal interests section to show that you actively pursue further knowledge and skills etc.

But unless they can get in touch with the institution and verify your results etc. I doubt they'd accept it as an actual qualification.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
Maybe mention it in a personal statement/personal interests section to show that you actively pursue further knowledge and skills etc.

But unless they can get in touch with the institution and verify your results etc. I doubt they'd accept it as an actual qualification.

I get a certificate and they can see my online profile on the site with all the grades and courses I took.

Ofcourse it's nothing "major" I was just wondering as some of these topics extended my knowledge in certain subjects a lot and simply weren't available at my university.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Lemoninfluence

Yeah this. Certainly mention it on your CV, but you can't list it as a qualification.

Put it in a personal statement, or with information about other experience.
Quote by MadClownDisease
Yeah this. Certainly mention it on your CV, but you can't list it as a qualification.

Put it in a personal statement, or with information about other experience.

Are you saying that my course in Neuroscience is not a qualification?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Are you saying that my course in Neuroscience is not a qualification?

As I recall even the website says it isn't an official qualification.

Nevertheless though, if you put it is certified/created/marked by Professor X (as in whatever professor, Dr Xavier's School for the Gifted don't offer any courses unfortunately) of whatever institution hopefully people should see it's not just meaningless.
Quote by MadClownDisease

Nevertheless though, if you put it is certified/created/marked by Professor X (as in whatever professor, Dr Xavier's School for the Gifted don't offer any courses unfortunately) of whatever institution hopefully people should see it's not just meaningless.

Actually, Professor X is the chancellor of my university
Quote by MadClownDisease

I was joking. I'm not a neuroscientist because I took an online course in it. I will just put it under the header: weird random shit I did.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I was joking. I'm not a neuroscientist because I took an online course in it. I will just put it under the header: weird random shit I did.

I'd be impressed if I saw it on a CV, it shows independent learning, which is so important.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by captainsnazz
Actually, Professor X is the chancellor of my university

God damn you. I'm graduating this year and I'd love to meet Patrick Stewart rather than some twat I don't know.

HOWEVER Martha Nussbaum is getting an honourary philosophy degree from my uni so I might get to meet her.
Maybe not a big name in film, but certainly a big name in the field of virtue ethics haha.

Quote by Neo Evil11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNPmhBl-8I