Hey guys, I want to retube the preamp section of my Marshall DSL. It's a year 2000 model.

Right now its all stock (was retubed long time ago with the same tubes by previous owner).
Anyway right now for a really solid hard rock tone with enough gain I need to have the lead channels gain at at least noon to get to where I need it to be, on ultra one (my lead tone). I also usually play with the clean channel's gain cranked, and an TS9 in front of it to get a my standard tone. I do this to try and get a clean channel, dirt channel, and a lead channel.

I'm wondering if the old tubes are whats taking out some of the thickness and gain of the amp.

Anyway, this amp can be incredibly bright, and sometimes depending on the venue I need to kill all my highs, presence, and even sometimes the use mid shift.

I know this is hard to explain, but I'm hoping to get a nice edgy tone, that is still rounded and smooth and not over bearing. So I want to round out the sound a bit but still make it a rock machine. I currently have two spare 5751's that got used in another amp for a little while, but nothing drastic. I also do not completely understand what to do with the phase inverter position. So help there would be awesome!

Any suggestions of tubes and positions would be incredible. I also need to swap my power tubes eventually, but I can do that later.

Also I'm very happy with my amp, I just want to round it out and maybe allow for more flexibility with my tone.
Thanks guys!
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
put the 5751 in the outside 2 preamp spots, this is V1 and V4. I have a DSL 100 and I have found that using a new Mullard 12ax7 in V1 and V4 and a JJ ecc83 in V2 and V3 work really nice also if you don't want to pay the NOS premium
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I will try that as soon as im home!
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5