Hello all,

I know there is no definitive answer for this, so I am looking for more if a consensus feel. When you are playing a piece that is at the upper area of your ability, and you nail it, how many of you stop right there? How many of you keep going until it deteriorates? I'm just wondering if ending on a high note (pun intended) is better than doing it again and again and getting diminishing returns or worse you start flubbing notes.

What are people's thoughts?

Mine are it's better to do something once perfectly (a skill that you are trying to master) than 100 times that are less so. Again, I'm not talking about a sime piece or something you are working the kinks out of, but something that takes a lot of focus and effort to play.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
If I can nail it then I'll call it a day. I never try to do it again because if I fail I'll keep trying until I play it properly and just get frustrated.

edit: When I get it right I usually stop playing and just sit down and actually think and analyze my playing and how I was able to play it, helps me a whole lot.
Last edited by tappooh at Apr 4, 2013,
I'm not quite sure I understand..... Let's say you are trying to learn a hard section in a solo. You work on it for a few hours/days. You eventually pull off (pun intended) a flawless run though at full speed so you then don't play it anymore so that you have ended on a high note (pun copied). Is that what you are saying?
Good clarification question,

No, but I understand why you thought that.

What I mean is you are working on a hard solo. You get through it once (not at full speed but at a steady speed) and you nail it.

Do you:

A) take that as a win and work on something else until the next practice session or day

Or

B) keep working on it, even though your accuracy might decress with each pass.

Hope that helps.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Yeah, it helps tonnes. Sorry for getting the wrong end of the stick!

It's a good question and I look forward to hearing replies.

Me, I tend to keep working on it. Not through any conscious decision as to whether I should top or not though. I guess that just does not occur to me....

On top of that, I find that progress nowadays is anything but linear. Lots of ups and downs. And I sometimes find that I play the riff/lick etc better when I first pick up the guitar. I'm convinced that it has something to do with being relaxed and not overthinking. Being in the "zen" headspace. Then as I start to think about it more, analyse, etc. I get worse. Sometimes is then comes full circle and by the end of the practice it can peak. But it's definitely more of a roller coaster for me....
Hey, if you had the question, others did as well.

Roller coaster, that's how I feel!
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by tappooh
If I can nail it then I'll call it a day. I never try to do it again because if I fail I'll keep trying until I play it properly and just get frustrated.

I wish I had the self control to do that, I usually do the latter. Sometimes, it's good to just sit back and enjoy your victories, and it's much better for your mental health, especially if you nail it late at night!
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
I wish I had the self control to do that, I usually do the latter. Sometimes, it's good to just sit back and enjoy your victories, and it's much better for your mental health, especially if you nail it late at night![/QUOTE

So do I man.

Why do I have a feeling this thread will turn into a support group?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Plus I think there's something to be said for finishing on a positive. The brain processes a lot of information while we sleep (which I guess is why we're often better at things the next day - I certainly see the most progress of new things after I've slept) and I reckon it's probably going to remember the last thing you did the most, it's possible re-trying repeatedly will do more damage than good. Of course I'm no... brain.. understanding.. person, but that's my guess.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
I either find out where my top speed is (if I'm playing it slower than I need to be) and stop or I keep on working on it until I start repeatedly making random mistakes that I shouldn't be making, like if one finger decides on its own to fret a wrong note instead of the proper finger fretting the correct one like when I was playing it consistently perfect 60 seconds before. That's when I know it's time to either start working on something else or just put the guitar down for a little while, depending on how long I've been practicing and whether or not my mind is starting to wander to things unrelated to guitar.
That is what I often do, and I was wondering if that is counter productive.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Honestly you shouldn't really be practising at a speed where you make mistakes. All you do is practice the mistakes.

I do occasionally go a bit quicker but you should be trying to never get it wrong rather than nail it once.

For any material you intend to perform anyway. Not that I've ever fluked anything for my youtube covers or anything. (to be fair, usually stuff I like enough to cover but not enough to practice a day more )
LOL!

It's impossible not to make a mistake man, or we'd never play with any speed. I get what you mean though.

Some of us take months to learn a song. Aren't you special! :P
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by llBlackenedll
I wish I had the self control to do that, I usually do the latter. Sometimes, it's good to just sit back and enjoy your victories, and it's much better for your mental health, especially if you nail it late at night!

That reminds me, why does it seem like I play better at night, like 9-10 o'clock?? That seems likes that's the only time I feel like playing.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
If it's out of your range, then move onto something else to practice something new. Technique progresses at a slow rate. Your technique is a multi-facted combintation of multiple thing going on. You want to work those things in a holistic fashion instead of linear. You will find when you play other things, you are working on new techinques. When you come back to what you are playing later down the road, you will immediately see how much easier it is for you if you are doing things right.

I find the challenge is knowing how to work on something and focusing on it, and when you hit a peak, knowing when it's time to leave it for something else.

If your not there yet technically, don't focus on practicing it wrong because you'll ingrain bad habits that require even more work to undo.

I wish I could find a guitar instructor that can give intermediate level students the right songs to work on to develop certain aspects of technique in a holistic fashion, but I am going by my own gut for now.
Actually TS is referring to the very edge of your playing ability, the absolute 100%. I think its alright to attempt something that difficult once or twice, if you fail then tough shit and just know that you still have some work to do. If you nail it then call it a day and just know that still have work to do in order to be able to play it correctly all the times.
Quote by tappooh
Actually TS is referring to the very edge of your playing ability, the absolute 100%. I think its alright to attempt something that difficult once or twice, if you fail then tough shit and just know that you still have some work to do. If you nail it then call it a day and just know that still have work to do in order to be able to play it correctly all the times.

Exactly, I don't mean something that is out of your range. I mean something at the top of your range.

I also don't mean the same mistake over and over again, but little random flubs. Pros make mistakes, I don't get where this "it's got to be flawless" notion comes from. It's unrealistic.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
You can be REALLY ****ing good though.

Different people have different standards for "ok". Ultimately that standard is often what limits your playing as much as the amount of work you put in. Part of the reason Andy James is better than me is because his "ok" is much cleaner than me.
I'm not really good and at 35 I doubt I will be. I missed those kid and teen years to learn stuff.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Flubbed it a few times, but I managed to play the part I was working on 100% memory!
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
It'd be interesting to do this with a Rusty Cooley song (lick).
ESP Horizon NT-II (Seymour Duncan) + Marshall JVM410C =

No pedals or any of that stuff, just a raw Marshall tone ran by my fingers!
Huh???
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10