few days back I was given the idea of upgrading an epiphone les paul pickups to a few options by seymour duncan. I passed on this idea to my cousin. The only thing he is asking is that is it necessary to buy a les paul standard? or a les paul studio would also work if he upgrades the pickups? as he is getting the studio cheaper than the standard
Pickups work in any guitar as long as the cavity on the body is the right size for the pickup.

The guitar isn't the problem, it's whether it's worth doing it.

Am I right in thinking you don't even have the guitar yet? If you don't, why are you thinking about swapping the pickups out on a guitar you don't really know yet?

Get the Standard, it's a better guitar. The Studio will be cheaper because it's a cheaper guitar overall. Play it for a bit and then decide what you want from the guitar.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Apr 4, 2013,
^ Yes, with Epiphone it's worth the money to go for the Standard than the Studio. I played for the sake of fun few days ago with both Epi Studio and Standard.. The Standard was much better in feel and it isn't much more expensive. It's also got bit of an eye candy too. Gibson is a whole other story..

TS, changing pickups is useless IMHO if:
1. You don't even have the guitar
2. Your amp is quite poor which means that new pickups wouldn't do justice
3. You don't really know what you're going for (as in terms of sound and so on)
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I'm going to assume that you mean to do this in order to get a good sounding lp shape guitar for a decent price. If that's the case then it would work as long as you have a decent amp and you can play alright. If you don't mind the absence of binding then the studio would work, as it really is a visual upgrade.

If you do this you will want to play the exact guitar that you will be buying though. Epiphones can be nice instruments, but especially with the studio, there will be a lot of lemons. I will also recommend changing out the rest of the electronics. Mostly because it doesn't make sense to upgrade to nicer pickups and leave in the cheap wires and pots.

This is all considering that you have a good amp already. If not, by all means get the guitar, just again make sure its one you enjoy playing. Don't bother upgrading the pickups until you upgrade the amp though. You will realize very little sound improvement.
Quote by soundjam
I'm going to assume that you mean to do this in order to get a good sounding lp shape guitar for a decent price. If that's the case then it would work as long as you have a decent amp and you can play alright. If you don't mind the absence of binding then the studio would work, as it really is a visual upgrade.

If you do this you will want to play the exact guitar that you will be buying though. Epiphones can be nice instruments, but especially with the studio, there will be a lot of lemons. I will also recommend changing out the rest of the electronics. Mostly because it doesn't make sense to upgrade to nicer pickups and leave in the cheap wires and pots.

This is all considering that you have a good amp already. If not, by all means get the guitar, just again make sure its one you enjoy playing. Don't bother upgrading the pickups until you upgrade the amp though. You will realize very little sound improvement.

The amp is Vox Valvetronix VT40+ and he uses it for practice. The reason for choosing studio is that he wants to make a all white guitar like he would put white pickup covers and white knobs and everything else white etc
Quote by karimbaig
The reason for choosing studio is that he wants to make a all white guitar like he would put white pickup covers and white knobs and everything else white etc

But i always thought blue guitars make the best sound.
Quote by karimbaig
The amp is Vox Valvetronix VT40+ and he uses it for practice. The reason for choosing studio is that he wants to make a all white guitar like he would put white pickup covers and white knobs and everything else white etc

You don't choose a lesser guitar based on colour, man.

Well, you can. But it would be a dumb move.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Sakke
^ Yes, with Epiphone it's worth the money to go for the Standard than the Studio. I played for the sake of fun few days ago with both Epi Studio and Standard.. The Standard was much better in feel and it isn't much more expensive. It's also got bit of an eye candy too. Gibson is a whole other story..

TS, changing pickups is useless IMHO if:
1. You don't even have the guitar
2. Your amp is quite poor which means that new pickups wouldn't do justice
3. You don't really know what you're going for (as in terms of sound and so on)

IMO that is the most major reason for changing pickups. you have to get to know the guitar to see what you want to improve. you may be happy with it for a while, then want to upgrade.

and buying a cheaper guitar to mod doesn't get you a better guitar than a slightly more expensive guitar. the rest of the guitar is higher in quality, not just the pickups, at least in this situation.

get the standard.

enjoy.

then you may still want new pickups

enjoy.

two stages of gratification... haha

but keep the stock ones, then if you decide to sell it, put it back to stock. you would still have your two nicer pickups, and modded guitars don't get your money back.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Mephaphil
You don't choose a lesser guitar based on colour, man.

Well, you can. But it would be a dumb move.

There is very little difference between the studio and standard if the guitar is made decent. Which will be checked if he actually plays it first. If he likes how the guitar plays and sounds then I don't see any problem with getting a guitar that he likes the looks of as well.

TS, if played through a decent amp, an epi standard and studio won't sound any different with the same pickups in. As long as you can find one that is built properly, there is no reason why you shouldn't get a while lp studio if you find one you like.
If you see a two guitars and you pick one based on its colour, without having tried it properly then I'm sorry but it's a dumb move.

Especially if you are leaning towards the lesser guitar, which objectively the studio is.

He hasn't said he's played them, he said said his Brother wants one of them.

Stupid thread.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

What's the point in upgrading your pickups if you don't know how the guitar sounds like stock? I mean, you should only upgrade pickups if you know that the guitar lacks something in sound. I know it's fun to mod your guitars but sometimes it's just better not to waste your money on modding. What if you happen to like the sound of the stock pickups or the pickup upgrade doesn't make it sound the way you would like it to sound?

And I wouldn't even buy a guitar that I'm not happy with. If I know the sound doesn't satisfy me, I don't buy the guitar.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by karimbaig

No need to make it look white....

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Template:Les_Paul_Studio#Les_Paul_Studio_Deluxe

LP Studio Deluxe is offered in alpinewhite

It is exactly the same guitar like a Standard - just without binding
If your 'cousin' can afford the Standard, get the Standard.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by karimbaig
But I heard the construction is very cheap on the studio les pauls

You heard wrong - or from people who heard it from a friend who heard it..............

construction is the same, same wood, same electronics - just without binding
Quote by paruwi
You heard wrong - or from people who heard it from a friend who heard it..............

is it as thick as the standard? cus if its not it might effect the sound
These threads give me the royal shits because the replies wander so far away from the original topic. The question wasn't is the studio better than the standard or vice versa or are they constructed differently... TS, worst case scenario, if he buys either of those guitars and some new pick ups at the same time, he runs the risk of liking the original pick ups more than the new ones and losing some money/time installing the pick ups. Its not the end of the world. Give it a go, that's how you learn what you like. **** what everyone else likes, most of them are too scared to outlay some coin and have a go anyway.
What is your amp?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by paruwi

I can say from first hand experience they aren't quite the same. The Studio has a smaller channel where the wiring goes that's much smaller than a Standards. I had to really work at it to get the pickup leads for an SH-4 to the pots on the Studio. And the Studio tuners are not as good as a Standards either.

The Studios aren't bad guitars, but they aren't really a Standard minus the binding either.

TS, tell him to go with the Standard, it's worth the extra $50 or so.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What is your amp?

Quote by karimbaig

Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Well then he knows what i'm gonna recommend. Goes without saying really.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee