okay its a 7 string guitar, well two that i cant decide on. Either the new ibanez iceman ic507 for $800 or a ltd alex wade 7 string for $900

They both have dual dimarzio D activator pickups
Both Mahogany bodies,
but the ltd has a ebony fretboard while the ibanez a rosewood one
The ibanez is set neck and the ltd is a neck thru, i dont know what the difference between set and neck thru so please explain
and the scale length on the ibanez is 25.24 and the ltd is 25.5
They both set my need but dont know which to get so please help
Some people say that the fretboards make a difference. I won't go either way. Wait for the more regular guys to chime in. Personally I would go ebony over rosewood as I think it looks better.

The differences between a set-neck and neck-through joint is this: on a set-neck, the neck is glued into the body, like on many Gibson's (may be wrong on this, sorry) rather than screwed in like many Fender guitars.
A neck though is where they use one solid piece of wood for the headstock(?), neck, and the body where the pickups, bridge, and tailpiece are. On either side of the main piece of wood, are two other wooden "wings" made of usually the same type of wood as the rest of the guitar.

The scale length could be a big factor for you. Personally I don't see it as a big difference, (but I haven't been playing as long as many reg's here) either way you're not going to be able to play in lower tunings as easily, compared to a 27" or even 26.5" scale, which are more "normal" for 7 strings.

Hopefully that helped, and please read the purple in my sig.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Get the one that feels better.

If you can't play them get the one that looks better.

If you hate it send it back for the other one.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I personally would go with the ltd. I'm a huge ibanez fan but for the price the ltd sounds like a better deal and I've played the AW-7 and it's bad ass. I believe thru-necks usually carry more sustain and to me have better tone color(just my opinion though). I also prefer the xj frets of the ltd compared to the medium of the ibanez. As far as scale length it doesn't seem like a huge difference but considering 25.5" is pretty much standard on 6-strings(pretty sure about this) I can't imagine it holding drop tunings that well. That's just my 2 cents and I'm not downing ibanez, personally they're one of my favorites but i think the ltd would be better. but overall i would recommend going to a guitar shop and trying them both out and pick whichever you feel more comfortable with.
Just got an IC 507 last week and I love it. The only thing I had to do was move the upper strap button to the heel of the neck to correct the balance a bit, it was a little top/headstock heavy before I'd did that.
The action and set up from the factory was perfect, I was very pleased with that. I like the bridge a lot, perfect position to easily chug/palm mute. Also I was pleasantly surprised with the Dimarrzio Deactivators - more on that in a second.
The reason I got this guitar was playability, I bought an Ibanez Artist 307 last year and absolutely love how it plays - the IC507 and the Artist 307 have the same neck, so with the killer body style, I was sold. I love "explorer" type body's, and wanted a 7 that wasn't a "Strat" style body, so many are.....( Plus the other guys in my band have that covered! ) so I searched for one.... Not too many out there, and the Iceman has killer looks. So knowing how the neck felt it was an easy choice.
Scale - ok that could be your factor, depending on what you tune too. My 6's are CGCFAD but my 7's are BEADGBE which this guitar will handle perfectly. Now if you tune way low, the scale length might be a factor, but the LTD would be as well. If you tune to a really low tuning say G, look at longer scale guitars.
So on the pickups - the Deactivators actually sounded pretty darn good. The 307 came with EMGs and I hated that on that guitar, was the only thing I could say bad about it. I replaced them with Bare Knuckle's Miracle Man set and holy-hell that's a monster. So depending on your amp, (I play an Egnater Armageddon) you might just be ok with the Dimarrzios... And I can tell you my other guitar player has the LTD as well, and he's putting in the Bare Knuckle Aftermaths. So.... Hope this helps, but if you can, play them both and see what feels best to you, that's most important - pickups are an easy upgrade if the sound isn't right, but if you don't like how it feels, you'll never play it anyway.
Rock it!
Quote by stageleftguitar
Just got an IC 507 last week and I love it. The only thing I had to do was move the upper strap button to the heel of the neck to correct the balance a bit, it was a little top/headstock heavy before I'd did that.
The action and set up from the factory was perfect, I was very pleased with that. I like the bridge a lot, perfect position to easily chug/palm mute. Also I was pleasantly surprised with the Dimarrzio Deactivators - more on that in a second.
The reason I got this guitar was playability, I bought an Ibanez Artist 307 last year and absolutely love how it plays - the IC507 and the Artist 307 have the same neck, so with the killer body style, I was sold. I love "explorer" type body's, and wanted a 7 that wasn't a "Strat" style body, so many are.....( Plus the other guys in my band have that covered! ) so I searched for one.... Not too many out there, and the Iceman has killer looks. So knowing how the neck felt it was an easy choice.
Scale - ok that could be your factor, depending on what you tune too. My 6's are CGCFAD but my 7's are BEADGBE which this guitar will handle perfectly. Now if you tune way low, the scale length might be a factor, but the LTD would be as well. If you tune to a really low tuning say G, look at longer scale guitars.
So on the pickups - the Deactivators actually sounded pretty darn good. The 307 came with EMGs and I hated that on that guitar, was the only thing I could say bad about it. I replaced them with Bare Knuckle's Miracle Man set and holy-hell that's a monster. So depending on your amp, (I play an Egnater Armageddon) you might just be ok with the Dimarrzios... And I can tell you my other guitar player has the LTD as well, and he's putting in the Bare Knuckle Aftermaths. So.... Hope this helps, but if you can, play them both and see what feels best to you, that's most important - pickups are an easy upgrade if the sound isn't right, but if you don't like how it feels, you'll never play it anyway.
Rock it!

I really like the ltd and i am planing on tuning to drop G so do you think the 25.5 scale will handle it?
On top of what everyone else's said, I'd suggest checking out where they're made. I'd also be wary of 'signature' models, because you (potentially) end up paying for the artist's name rather than the guitar itself.

I'm a huge ibanez fan but for the price the ltd sounds like a better deal and I've played the AW-7 and it's bad ass.

I disagree on the better deal part - I wouldn't say the fretboard and thru neck are (necessarily) worth paying $100 more for. If you play them and prefer the LTD, then it's worth paying the extra for. Also try a cheaper and more expensive 7-string. That should give you an idea of where these two guitars have cut corners (build quality would be my guess) to offer you a non-bolt on neck, branded pickups and a mahogany body for less than a grand.

I'd suggest having a look for something second hand too, as you may be able to get an ESP or MIJ Ibanez second-hand for not much more than $900.
Last edited by Quiffmiester at Apr 5, 2013,
Ok - cool that your choosing what you like best. Now as far as scale and tuning - the 25" is a little short for that drop BUT that doesn't mean that it's not good or won't work. What you'll want to do, and I can't stress this enough, is have the guitar professionally set up for your tuning. Set ups generally run for fixed bridge guitars $25-65 depending on where you are, and your dealer might even do it for free upon purchase!. It is worth every penny you spend on it! Reason: when you tune that low there is much less tension on the neck, and most guitars are not set up for that, and I know for sure that the factory set up on an LTD is not. You will have intonation, tuning and buzzing issues if you don't set it up properly. A good shop can have it done in an hour! Makes all the difference in the world!
one more thing i forgot to mention, the ltd has locking tuners, will that help the strings stay in tune for drop G?
Locking tuners are always a plus, and a must if you have a tremolo system. Again, the most critical thing is to have he guitar set up professionally for your tuning - it'll rock and you'll love it. Let me know what you do & hit me up anytime.