Been playing 3 yrs. and have come in to some money and looking to upgrade. Budget $600

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Acoustic Lead Guitar Series G35FX 35W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp

Main Genre - Modern Worship i.e. Jesus Culture, Thousand Foot Krutch, Tye Tribbett, and Planet Shakers

Have learned, Green Day, P.O.D., Skillet, Kings of Leon, Foo Fighters and Lenny Kravitz etc.

I like the looks of Les Paul type guitars but am open to Fenders If it is best for the genre that I like to play the most. Also I live near a Guitar Center so I can buy new or used would even prefer used since I am wanting the most bang for the buck.
Amp > Guitar

As for which amp, I don't know anything about those bands, but modern worship type music is pretty heavy, so Peavey 6505+ combo
Why not both you can grab a use mim fender for $250 and that will leave $350 for a new amp I'm not sure what fender amps go for used but at $350 there are plenty of good amps.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
Why not both you can grab a use mim fender for $250 and that will leave $350 for a new amp I'm not sure what fender amps go for used but at $350 there are plenty of good amps.

I don't see why he needs a new guitar just yet.

And what fender amp, brand new at $350 is actually worth getting?

TS, I would actually suggest a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 with a Sanpera floor pedal, instead of my original suggestion.
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Amp > Guitar

As for which amp, I don't know anything about those bands, but modern worship type music is pretty heavy, so Peavey 6505+ combo

Lyrical content aside, as it's totally irrelevant here, music is music. I think TS is looking for a very stereotypical alt metal tone, a la pretty much the Dual Rectifier sound.

Obviously not gonna happen in that budget, but as you said, a Vypyr Tube certainly can. I've gotten some pretty damn good alt metal tones on my JSX just dicking around, a la Three Days Grace. But that's probably out of TS's budget if he needs a new guitar.

So basically reiterating what you said, joking or not, a used Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 w/ a Sanpera II should run you about $350. $250 will comfortaby get you a new Agile AL-2000, or a used Epiphone LP Std (may have to look around for a bit for that price though).

On top of that, the Vypyr will also let TS do anything else he needs, if he wants to play lighter/clean stuff, or heavier stuff, it'll be no problem at all.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Could always grab a fender blues jr or pro jr. Both sound great and take pedals well. Could get either new for about $600 or less. Pretty versatile stuff.
At $350 used there are plenty of good amplifiers, at the very least I say invest New pickups because the ones in that epiphone are god awful. TS don't listen to the 6505 and vypyr recommendations the cleans on those amps are pure feces.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
At $350 used there are plenty of good amplifiers, at the very least I say invest New pickups because the ones in that epiphone are god awful. TS don't listen to the 6505 and vypyr recommendations the cleans on those amps are pure feces.

What is wrong with the cleans on the vypyr?

It's not like he is playing jazz. He is going the alt. rock/metal route.

And you could at least list what new amps at $350 there are that are good, instead of just stating it.

Lastly, TS' focus should be aimed solely at the amp, everything else is second when it comes to tone. Now, if you dislike how your epiphone feels, then that is something to consider.
You didn't notice but 4 of the 5 bands ts listed need cleans. Used Mesa dc2 you can get one with out a reverb for 400 or with reverb for 500. Either or would make the vypyr its bitch all day long especially for what ts wants to play.
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
Lol what the hell is with this "Vypyr has bad cleans" bandwagon? Seriously?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If you want a tube amp, maybe try to snag a Peavey Ultra/XXX/JSX? They should be able to handle the higher gain stuff (Skillet, TFK, etc.), especially with a boost. Plus the combos can be had for pretty reasonable prices if you look around for a used one.
I pride myself on my humility.
If you like the way your guitar plays and like the lp kinda tone no need 2 change that. Maybe the pups one day but not now. Based on the bands you listed id say a jcm2000 would be a solid choice. Looking more at your genre ultra/xxx/jsx
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Howdy, fellow worship guitar player here. Are you typically mic'ed up at where you play Here is what I would look into if I was in your shoes. You can get a Bugera V22 combo for $380 brand new, eaisly more like $300-$350 (Guitar Center used even has one for $250 right now). The anti-Bugera bandwagon is pretty big, but in my opinion and experience the V22 is a dependable amp, and perfect for what you're looking for. Another fantastic option would be a Peavey Classic 30 combo. Look for them used, they pop up all the time.

For a guitar, I would look into some kind of HSS strat. Fender Modern Player HSS strats are $400 new, and I've seen them for $300 used.

Finally, if you have any cash left over (Squier makes some great stuff, and you never know what you might find locally) and you want to dabble into effects, the Line 6 M5 recently dropped in price to $129, and it's well worth checking out.

Where do you live? I might be able to find something for you on the local market.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by Guitarbaddie
What is wrong with the cleans on the vypyr?

It's not like he is playing jazz. He is going the alt. rock/metal route.

And you could at least list what new amps at $350 there are that are good, instead of just stating it.

Lastly, TS' focus should be aimed solely at the amp, everything else is second when it comes to tone. Now, if you dislike how your epiphone feels, then that is something to consider.

+1 i have no idea where vypyrs having bad cleans came from, at least the 60w or 120w tube.

to losing battle, i agree that a 5150/5150II/6505/6505+ cleans aren't all that great, but they are workable. but it just depends what kinds of cleans he likes and how often he uses them.

for example, i would play most of my stuff on a single channel amp if i had to, as long as you can roll back the volume on the gutiar, but i like a little grit in them. some amps i haven't ever really used the clean channel.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I stand by the recommendation of a used mesa dual caliber because ts plays a lot of worship music and it has avery workable dirt channel and if he really wants to play green day or kravitz ts can drop 50 bucks on a pod 2.0 and throw that bitch in front of the amp. I know I recomened the mim strat but this will serve ts much better. Wait to save an extra hundy for a used strat but get the amp first.
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
What are the tones that you CAN'T live without, because that's quite a range of tones. Jesus Culture is mixture of made in England Vox, Matchless DC-30, or Jackson Ampworks, depending on his mood and the room. Kings Of Leon is mixture of Ampeg Reverberocket and Matchless (also DC-30). Then you have everything else, which is sort of Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier-oriented...with a bit of Foo Fighters (Dual Rectifier and AC30 basically...with Fender Super Sonics and Suhr PT100s for good measure) Kravits (cranked Tweed and vintage Marshall) and Greenday (hot rod Plexi or JCM800/2000) thrown in. Planet Shakers is actually just a POD into the PA so I don't count them.

A Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 with the Sanpera footswitch (preferably the big one with lots of room for patches) might be the best place to start. It's not permanent, but it will be a step up until you decide what amp tones you want as your main sound and what effects you like best when buying pedals.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I learn all kinds of music in order to push me to play better. Goal is to play Worship sets at church so looking for gear that will best work for that
Well, my AC15 and rig is good for playing worship sets at church, but it wouldn't take a high gain pedal for well. Maybe try a Peavey Classic 30 or a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Both would need pedals for your style and take them well, but the Classic 30 has nicer sounding overdrive by itself. Both sound good clean. I recommend the Classic 30, because you can find a lot of great sounds from the amp and also do the big pedal board thing well. It won't get more dirty than the average old master volume Marshall type amp, but you can always run a good pedal for your high gain sounds. The Wampler Triple Wreck, Amptweaker Tight Metal, and MI Audio Megalith are all worth a look.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I was just about to recommend the Peavey Classic 30. Like stated already you will need to find a pedal to boost it. OTO, the tube vypyr would get you there without a pedal and probably be cheaper than the classic 30.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
get a used fender hod rod deluxe and a nice delay, thats all you really need, though a boost or tubescreamer is also nice.
Quote by gsplsngr
I learn all kinds of music in order to push me to play better. Goal is to play Worship sets at church so looking for gear that will best work for that

Go listen to a few of the worship bands in your area, if its anything like mine. Oh and talk to the sound guys too, some churches direct line in. But its a safe bet your going to need a good clean channel and at your price range a dual calliber with reverb is going to be real tough to beat in that department don't buy anything till you talk to people in your area. Nothing like dropping a couple hundred on something that isn't what you need. Come back here with some details Sunday and I will be glad to help.
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player