black ice is a on-board distortion for your guitar.. however I read from stew mac that it doesn't work with active pickups.. I was thinking about doing this to a guitar project im working on but need something that will work with active pick-ups.. is there any that will??
doesnt emg have some onboard effect like distortion or clean boosts im pretty sure
those work with active pick ups
edit:
http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/323/142/4
Last edited by supersac at Apr 4, 2013,
The EMG products are a clean boost in output. If distortion is what you want then they are of no use to you.

The 'black ice' is a very simple circuit that simply throws some harsh transistor clipping on your signal. It's not worth making yourself for $5, let alone buying the 'black ice' unit for.

If you want distortion or overdrive in your guitar, Artec do some 'okay' units that are basically like a cheap distortion pedal mounted in a volume/tone pot. Guitarfetish also do a version. If you're desperate, they'll work, but not sound particularly good.

The only way to get decent-sounding distortion in your guitar itself is to gut a good distortion pedal and mount that in.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The EMG products are a clean boost in output. If distortion is what you want then they are of no use to you.

The 'black ice' is a very simple circuit that simply throws some harsh transistor clipping on your signal. It's not worth making yourself for $5, let alone buying the 'black ice' unit for.

If you want distortion or overdrive in your guitar, Artec do some 'okay' units that are basically like a cheap distortion pedal mounted in a volume/tone pot. Guitarfetish also do a version. If you're desperate, they'll work, but not sound particularly good.

The only way to get decent-sounding distortion in your guitar itself is to gut a good distortion pedal and mount that in.

I was hoping someone would put this ridiculous notion to rest. Well done.
Unless the black ice people overhauled their circuit, a black ice unit is nothing more than two anti-parallel schottky diodes inside an epoxy cube. completely passive. the clipping is subtle and can darken the tone.
Basically you want diodes with the lowest forward voltage drop possible. high output pickups are a bonus. if the thought struck you of adding a gain stage before the diodes to compensate for the low pup output and diode drop then youd end up with an electra distortion circuit...
Last edited by Invader Jim at Apr 5, 2013,
im using emg81 active.. nothing more.. but from what im understanding is, its not worth modding if its goin to sound like crap anyway.. well thanks everyone