Hey people, I have a question. Can someone please explain Gibson/Epiphone guitars to me? I mean what are the differences between a standard or pro or tribute or historic and so on and so forth. Sorry if this is a dumb question but it needs to be explained to me. Thank you for your answers in advance.
Standard: pretty self explanatory. It's the standard model
Studio: no frills like binding or high gloss paint
Tribute: I think those are the artist models (not 100 percent sure though)
And historic are the reproductions of older guitars

Gibson: usa made full mahogany best parts available.

Epiphone: not made in USA with cheaper parts and woods (still good guitars)

Are you looking new or used? Because if used you need to look at how to spot a fake. People counterfeit the crap out of these things
Quote by rander7917
Standard: pretty self explanatory. It's the standard model
Studio: no frills like binding or high gloss paint
Tribute: I think those are the artist models (not 100 percent sure though)
And historic are the reproductions of older guitars

Gibson: usa made full mahogany best parts available.

Epiphone: not made in USA with cheaper parts and woods (still good guitars)

Are you looking new or used? Because if used you need to look at how to spot a fake. People counterfeit the crap out of these things

No I'm looking to get the thunderhorse Epiphone new (not out yet) but I was just wondering what are the differences are. Are those the only four?
Well I'm far from an expert this is just stuff I know from shopping around and owning a few but I believe the thunder horse is gonna be an upgraded custom. Which is basically the standard with bad ass pickups and cooler colors.

Note: I've been looking at it too. Looks sick doesn't it?
Also I'm sorry the tribute is a decade model like the tribute 70s les paul. And the special is the cheapest one
The Thunderhorse is just a normal Epiphone (made in China) guitar with Gibson pickups thrown in at an inflated price due to it being a signature model. Epiphone make other Explorers that are the same quality and cost much less; you can buy one of those and a set of nice pickups and install them yourself for less than the Thunderhorse will cost you.

If this is the only model you are interested in, you don't need to know about what other terms like Studio and Historic mean (and no, Tributes are not artist signature models).

To put the difference in very simple terms, think of Epiphone as being like a Burger King or Pizza Hut while Gibson is like a 5-star restaurant.
Everything from Epiphone is more or less the same, slightly different flavours but basically the same sort of thing churned out by the thousand. It will get the job done but isn't thrilling in any way. Gibson are the opposite; every item is different (each individual guitar, not just model of guitar) and there's really nothing they lack, at least in terms of basic quality.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The Thunderhorse is just a normal Epiphone (made in China) guitar with Gibson pickups thrown in at an inflated price due to it being a signature model. Epiphone make other Explorers that are the same quality and cost much less; you can buy one of those and a set of nice pickups and install them yourself for less than the Thunderhorse will cost you.

If this is the only model you are interested in, you don't need to know about what other terms like Studio and Historic mean (and no, Tributes are not artist signature models).

To put the difference in very simple terms, think of Epiphone as being like a Burger King or Pizza Hut while Gibson is like a 5-star restaurant.
Everything from Epiphone is more or less the same, slightly different flavours but basically the same sort of thing churned out by the thousand. It will get the job done but isn't thrilling in any way. Gibson are the opposite; every item is different (each individual guitar, not just model of guitar) and there's really nothing they lack, at least in terms of basic quality.

yeah i know man look at post number 7