Hey folks, iv got a fender jaguar hh. Iv had my guitar for about 3 years maybe and absolutely love the playability of it. Iv been doing a lot of gigs and recordings after not playing with an amp for some time and have noticed the guitar doesn't have as much oomph as it used to (especially while distorted.) My friend told me to change the pickups (the current ones are dragster humbuckers) as they are notoriously weak. My question is would a change in pickup make a great difference to the sound and if so what ones to go for? I'd like to be able to coil tap/split them (not 100% which one is the correct term.) The music I currently play is stuff like reuben, biffy clyro, nirvana, white stripesy kinda stuff if that matters, any advice would be great
Well, you'll have to do some wiring mods or pot mods to get the coil capability, but I recently modded my Jag HH for the same reasons.

I threw in a Dream 90 at the neck and a Fat Pat in the bridge to get some bigger crunch with the distortion/overdrive. I liked that the Dream 90 kept the neck from getting too washed out when driven, and I'm quite happy with it. GFS is on the lower end of price, but they're great sounding pickups, and not just for the price.
OffsetOffset
cheers man
yea I was planning on getting rid of the rhythm circuit and using that's volume and tone as a blend kinda thing, and using the swith for a kill switch. Not too great with the whole electronics thing but iv got time and you guys to help me haha.
Ill definitely have a look into the pickups mate cheers
additional question, did you change your pots on the tone and volume, mine feels it changes quite drastically with a small change. The volume in particular gets to full volume at about half way up
I'd go with the a GFS Mean 90 in the bridge and a Dream 90 in the neck. Great sounding pickups.
Do you want to stay HH configuration? Of would you be interested in H/P90? And what kind of budget do you have?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by simon valensi
cheers man
yea I was planning on getting rid of the rhythm circuit and using that's volume and tone as a blend kinda thing, and using the swith for a kill switch. Not too great with the whole electronics thing but iv got time and you guys to help me haha.
Ill definitely have a look into the pickups mate cheers
additional question, did you change your pots on the tone and volume, mine feels it changes quite drastically with a small change. The volume in particular gets to full volume at about half way up

Hey man, I actually didn't swap out pots when I changed the pickups, as they suited me quite well (I play almost full open though, maybe 80% tone up). I will say, if you go with my suggestion, that it's worth trying the rhythm section with the new pickup configuration. I hated it with the old pickups, but with these, it's way punchier.
OffsetOffset
Pickup output only really matters if you're trying to drive a low- or medium-gain valve amp. Unless you want more distortion but don't want to put your gain knob higher, pickup output can be more or less ignored.

As for the pot taper, how a pot rolls in/out your volume/tone depends on how you want to use it. If you want to use your volume pots to control how loud you are with a low-gain amp, use audio taper pots; if you want to use it to control your output to a higher-gain amp, use linear taper pots. Fender guitars typically come with audio taper pots, so it sounds like you're using enough gain to compress the signal to where this is causing the uneven response. Change to linear pots and then you'll be able to roll down to a cleaner tone smoothly, or use less gain if you want to control how loud you are.

For pickups themselves, the ones that come stock in the HH Jags are already moderately powerful. Moving to things like P-90s and PAF copies will be a reduction in output and give an overall brighter tone. If it's "oomph" you feel you are lacking now, you'll need to jump up to something like a DiMarzio Super Distortion (lots of bass if you have a bright amp), Seymour Duncan JB (lots of upper-mids if you have a dark-sounding amp) or SD Custom (even mix). You may also find that simply raising your current pickups closer to the strings will also give you the increase in mids and output that you want.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Yea, trying out the new pickups with the current circuitry is probably a good idea before cutting things up haha. Before this thread I was thinking about a super distortion (bridge) and a super 2 (neck.) Anything wrong with this combo?
Depends what your amp is for the bridge. As I said before, the Super Distortion is great if you have a bright amp, since it has so much bass, but if you have quite a thick-sounding amp then it will very quickly descend into inaudible rumble. You need to remember that your amp is by far the most important part of your tone and pickups need to be chosen to compliment your amplifer.
For the neck I would simply never recommend a Super 2 to anybody, ever. It's essentially the same sound as an SD Jazz—a fantastic neck pickup for almost any genre—but with harsher, more grating treble. The plain strings get very, very bright, almost like a Telecaster bridge pickup. If you want a bright neck pickup with some power to it then try a SD Jazz or DM PAF Pro.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Other folks have already mentioned GFS pickups. I would support this--i have GFS Nashvilles in my Jaguar HH and they sound phenomenal. Very clear sounding, but very responsive to tone roll-off. Even at very high gain, you can play chords and still hear each note ring out and they cut through a mix beautifully. Can get that classic Fender jangle--and the bridge especially sounds fat as f*ck when driven hard.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬