I have been offered a Blues Deville 2x12 from 1994 as a trade for my Blackstar. My concern is how distorted can the blues deville get? I figure that I will need to have a pedal get me into metal territory. I have a boost already and I am really not too keen on distortion pedals. On the other hand the blues devlle is a pretty sweet amp, but I do like playing metal. I know that in the long haul the deville will be worth more, but I am not after an amp for resale value alone, not to mention the guy wants me to throw in cash on top of the deal, which I get, but...?
Thanks for the help and if there is a distortion pedal that goes well with the amp then I am all ears, but I have tried a handful of pedals and I prefer amp distortion.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Fender & Metal? You'd need some good pedals to boost the distortion up for that. I tried the HT20 at XMas when looking for an amp. It sound spretty good clean & distorted and the semi closed cab increased the low end I thought.
Moving on.....
What genres do you play? If you only play metal, I see no point.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I do play a variety of genres and clean/dirty blues are fun to play. Lately I have been playing them a lot more, especially with my Reverend. However, I do like to play metal and having an amp that can get there would be ideal. I might just stick with the blackstar for a while. I am finally building a 2x12 cab. One that is complete I might make the switch to amp heads.
Line 6 M13
What kind of metal are you talking about? If it's just classic metal and nothing heavier, I think it could do it, at least with an OD in front. And if you are mainly playing blues and clean stuff, it might be a good deal. Maybe try the amp and buy it if you like it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
if you play a lot of metal and prefer amp distortion, I'm with maggaramarine... I don't see much point. Your call, of course, and if you see yourself playing more blues and the like later it might be worth it... but yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I do play metal, mainly mastodon, baroness, etc. and BTBAM, devin townsend stuff. So, I kind of need the distortion. I might see if the guy wants to trade and then buy a head for the 2x12 cabinet that I am building. I don't think the other guy is that amped (no pun intended) for the trade, he would be taking a loss.
Line 6 M13
I've got a mid 90s Blues Deville setting right beside me. It's a good sounding amp on the clean channel. The gain channel has always be junk. You can't even get a passable crunch out of it without pedals. It also has the classic Fender problem of going from zero to loud as hell before you hit 1 on the volume knob. Add to that the issue of having to fix this amp more times than any other amp I've ever owned and I'll have to recommend again the trade. The FX loop has always been problematic on this one. It's blown multiple capacitors as well and fried the footswitch circuit a couple times.