Page 1 of 2
I am about to complete my associates degree. I do not know if I want to continue and go on the get a bachelors. If I was to get a bachelors I would sure have a job from what I am studying...and be making good money around 50k a year.

However...I feel like it is not what I want to do. I want to pursue music and make money from being in a band. If you are going to be a full time college student that is equal to 40 hours of studying a week..and if you want a part time job on the side then you can basically forget about having any time to practice guitar anymore.

Do you think it would be wise to just drop out of college and join a band? Or should I complete college with a bachelor's degree? If I go the college route...I will have to kiss my dreams goodbye.

But even if I make minimum wage equivalent in a band playing small gigs I will be happy.
Quote by Unreal T
Do you think it would be wise to just drop out of college and join a band?

As much as I wish you were kidding, I'm sure you are probably serious...
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Do your dreams include at any point a family or long-lasting relationship? Get the degree. Do music for fun.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
You can study, and be in a band. Just manage your time wisely.
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive
If you're happy sleeping in your car, being pitied by those who know you and eating tonnes of crap food then do it!
From my experience... i learned to play guitar only after i joined college. So yea... you will get time in college to practice. And after i got into a 40 hour a week job, i still get atleast 2 hours of practice a day during weekdays. My main reason for learning to play was to enjoy the music. So this way, music is more of a relaxation and a break from routine rather than a "job". Hope this helps.
Also, you will have money to buy good gear, and cover the initial expenses of your band.
Drop out, but don't join a band because that's incredibly stupid.

Join a Glee Tribute Troupe instead. Then learn German, buy an iguana farm, and marry a crab fisherman. They're usually stout and strong, so they make good companions when they're sober.

This is my advice. Now live the life I've planned for you.
If you drop out, you're gonna have to get a job anyway to support yourself and you'll be in the same scenario. Finish your degree, get a decent job that pays well and join a band after or now if you really want. The more money you make the more time you can take off work, for gigs and such and not be hurt finicially for it. People in your band are gonna have similar schedules and priorities and won't be surprised or object to having them as well, and you'll just have to work around it. Such is life.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Apr 4, 2013,
Quote by Unreal T
Do you think it would be wise to just drop out of college and join a band?

First, college will not be 40 hours a week, unless you're in med school or you're one of those get-by-by-working-really-hard-not-slipping-by-by-relying-on-your-innate-intelligence types.

But either way you'll still have time to practice. If you can put off going to college for a little while to go after your dreams, fine. But if this is your only chance and there's something you think you might like to study, I'd say go to school. The likelihood of you making a decent living in a band is almost zero. You might make enough to scrape by with a full-time job at the same time. And that job will be for very little pay.

(okay, so you might be putting in 40 but I'm in upper level physics and I just MIGHT be putting that many hours in, including going to class)
Last edited by RealUnrealRob at Apr 4, 2013,
Get your bachelors, get a good job, play in band on the side.

/thread
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Get the degree.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Because nobody has ever gone to college, been in a band, worked a minimum wage job, and been a huge stoner simultaneously...

BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
You can do it all if you manage your time well. Depending on what level your band is at, you could practice once per week (maybe more if you have time), then maybe gig over the weekend, get your studying done during the day.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by Wormholes
Dude seriously, drop the **** out so someone who deserves an education can get one.

Deserves?

It's about whether you can afford one or not. College doesn't turn away full fee paying kids to reserve spots for other kids who have better grades.
The question is, are you actually guaranteed to get a 50k job when you leave uni? Or is that just part of the crap they tell you to entice you to go on the course? It really depends on what you're doing, but don't think having a degree is some kind of guarantee of getting a fantastic job because it's really far from it. If you don't enjoy what you're doing, I would say just don't even bother.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Sell drugs.
You'll have plenty of free time for practice/band stuff and make tons of money.
Unless you get busted.
Then you'll just have plenty of free time and have an all expenses paid vacation at the gray bar hotel.
i had this quandry when it was possible to get a record deal in the late 90s.

Now you would have to be a crazy ****er to not cobtinue.

Mind you i know loads of folk who did a bullshit worthless degree.. and they are ALL working in shit jobs.
Quote by StopReadingThis

This
I'm at uni, and I'm in a band
Quote by StopReadingThis

This..

But if it really has to be one or the other. Degree, obviously.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
The degree would, in the long run, serve you much better. However, when it comes to college, you have to want to do it to do it well. Joining a band may be what you want to do, and it may be fun, but is it really going to give you as many opportunities as a degree?

Do both.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
So..Whats it gonna be Boy??? On Your feet or on Your knees! GO FOR IT..LIVE YOUR DREAM!!!

Yea..Life Sucks,Then You Die!
Rule number one of quitting your day job: Already be at a point with your hobby/other job where you can support yourself.

Bullshit about kissing your dreams goodbye. I've had to cut back severely on recording and making music since I got into college, but I still find time to practice and work on the side. Not to mention that it's only three years. There's still plenty of time to start a band after college, and I will call extreme bullshit on anybody who claims that making music is their one true dream, and their passion, and simply cannot MAKE the time to pursue it while doing things in order to support themselves. If you drop out, you'll spend your time working menial jobs instead of studying, anyways.

It sounds cool, and it makes for great stories once you're rich and famous (yeah man I used to sleep in a van, lol!), but actually doing those jobs is shitty, and having to constantly worry about rent and food is also shitty. Not to mention not being able to afford new strings being super shitty.
Dude, by the time your done with college, you're 22 (some people are even 21) and you have a degree that, if you don't become the super great rockstar man, you can still work and make good money.
22 is young as shit. Your not losing anytime by studying. You don't need to be 16 in the rock world. In the pop world maybe, but in the rock world they want people who are older and, you know, actually have life experience.
stick with college, join a band and practice a lot. By the time your done, you will be better at playing, a smarter person, have more experiences, and a degree that can get you a decent job while you peruse rock stardom. Keep pushing through, stay in college.
Last edited by macashmack at Apr 5, 2013,
Oh, and one more thing: One of the few touring musicians on here is DeliriumBassist, who has a degree in either Medicine or Biology.
Quote by Unreal T
If you are going to be a full time college student that is equal to 40 hours of studying a week.

lolwut
Quote by Wormholes
Dude seriously, drop the **** out so someone who deserves an education can get one.

Um...what? Why is someone else more deserving of an education than TS?

@TS:
If you feel that further education would not benefit you, then drop out. I personally would get a bachelor's; but the thing is, if you're going to do that, you have to put 110% into it. You can't show up to university, barely do anything, and expect to make it.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 5, 2013,
Finish college, get your degree, get a job, play in a band on the side, focus on the band once it starts making enough money while keeping up the job, once it pays more than you earn at your job you quit your job.

The most future-proof way. If the band breaks up, atleast you'll have your degree to fall back on.
Quote by JustRooster
What is your degree in, TS?

I am planning to major in Mathematics or Statistics and maybe pursue grad school. I kind of started college late ...I am 24 right now and a junior in college.

A lot of people say you cannot do anything with a math degree ...but you really can if you can get internships and play your cards right.

The more I pursue college the more I do not feel it is for me. I mean, I do not want to sit in a damn office all day, but there really is nothing else for me to do. I have no trade skills or anything.

I read a lot of the comments here and hear how a lot of people think that it would be very hard to make a living as a musician. The thing I believe is that being a musician requires hard work devoted to practice and knowing your stuff, which I think requires a serious commitment if you want to be a really good musician.

Sure it is possible to balance college and music and do both..but still you are going to have to make sacrifices which hinders your musical goals.

What if you are really talented though, as in surely above the rest...not the average joe guitar player ...just enough skill to really shine. Wouldn't that make your chances of succeeding better as a musician? Or is it basically a zero chance in hell still?
Quote by CoreysMonster
Oh, and one more thing: One of the few touring musicians on here is DeliriumBassist, who has a degree in either Medicine or Biology.

Well, that is enlightening!
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Um...what? Why is someone else more deserving of an education than TS?

@TS:
If you feel that further education would not benefit you, then drop out. I personally would get a bachelor's; but the thing is, if you're going to do that, you have to put 110% into it. You can't show up to university, barely do anything, and expect to make it.

Exactly...110%!

That is what I think as well. If you are in college it needs to basically be your life if you want to truly shine in your profession and really know your stuff. The only thing I want to give 110% to is music!
Quote by CoreysMonster

Then we have Tom Scholz.
He got a Masters in Mechanical Engineering from MIT well before Boston was a band.
Quote by SuperKid
do both, or part-time college

what kind of music do you play, plz don't tell me you are dropping out of school to play metal

Hahaha...

I play mostly rock, hard rock, pop/rock. That is probably just as bad...but if you think about it ...it is mainstream and where the money is at....plus I like that music loads!
Page 1 of 2