Page 1 of 2
playing Pixies type of music? Like that weird surferish alternative stuff. I know that the chances of making it in the music industry alone are pretty slim, so would playing surferish style alternative 90s stuff pretty much make it impossible? I mean like, not in the sense of rock stardom. But enough to make a decent living.
¯\_()_/¯
Last edited by CaptainCanti at Apr 5, 2013,
For the average musician I'd say maybe about 10%

But for you, my TS friend, I'll discount it to 2%

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
For the average musician I'd say maybe about 10%

But for you, my TS friend, I'll discount it to 2%

I don't know, I just found that funny.
Yeah, just stick to your day job.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
100% if you put the effort in. Unless you have extremely bad luck. But since starting Audio Engineering and observing people that work in the industry, pretty much if you put the work in, you will make it. Wether making it is what you consider making it, thats something different.
You may have a better chance making it if you formed a Dick Dale tribute band than a Pixie influenced band.
Quote by da_
100% if you put the effort in. Unless you have extremely bad luck. But since starting Audio Engineering and observing people that work in the industry, pretty much if you put the work in, you will make it. Wether making it is what you consider making it, thats something different.

The problem is there's literally 1000s who have bad luck, and I don't even believe in luck.
How's your luck?
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
"Making it" is sort of a broad idea, I think.

As far as being like Justin Bieber famous? Your chances are probably slim to none.

As far as making a living? I'd say your chances are quite high. Probably almost a sure bet unless you're really terrible, unlucky, or lazy.

I know a musician (not personally) who's never played a show and only releases a few thousand physical copies of each of her albums and she seems to get by quite nicely for herself from what I can tell. Though she seems to live quite modestly, she probably doesn't even own a car.

I actually know of several bands/artists that aren't very famous but manage to make a decent living (or I at least assume they do since they've been making music for so long). They mostly seem to have cult followings though, so I suppose those aren't really normal cases, but I digress.

tl;dr - Pretty good, I think, but I'm far from an expert on such matters.

Good luck with whatever you do though.
Last edited by Shawn1379 at Apr 5, 2013,
Quote by Morphogenesis26
There isn't really a market for that kind of music anymore, so extremely improbable.

Tbf, there's not a huge market for certain types of metal either, but some of the bands I really enjoy are doing well enough to continue touring (and I assume they have apartments/homes/shacks/somewhere they crash when not on tour). Point is, just because there's not a market for it, that doesn't mean you can't make a living at it if you work hard enough.
Quote by da_
You have to define the phrase "making it," before you make a "100%" claim like that. If by making it, you mean not starving to death, then you're probably right. But if you mean actually making a decent income, then 100% is an outrageous claim. It's not all about putting the effort in. You can work 20 hours a day promoting your band and rehearsing and performing, but if you're not putting yourself in the right situations and meeting the right people, it will all go to waste and you will burn out very quickly.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Tbf, there's not a huge market for certain types of metal either, but some of the bands I really enjoy are doing well enough to continue touring (and I assume they have apartments/homes/shacks/somewhere they crash when not on tour). Point is, just because there's not a market for it, that doesn't mean you can't make a living at it if you work hard enough.

It'd be pretty difficult for the kind of music he's wanting to play. I also assumed he meant "making it" in the sense of being able to live reasonably comfortable off the band itself. Unless your band is really good and advertises itself well, then you probably won't be able to make it big or anything on that style. That doesn't mean he shouldn't try if he really wants to, just that he shouldn't expect it to be easy.
If u enjoy and love what you play, you will make it no matter what!!!.... OH shit, this is a pit thread, then TS you suck and will never make it! boooo
pit 101: First and foremost, check spelling and attack grammar, continue to attack skills and musical education of original poster even if one has never met or heard of original poster. now tis time to wiki a random, useless arbitrary fact and pretend we are in fact mediocre intelligent, alas its now time to completely misunderstand any form of sarcasm and continue to correct original poster and follow on with "you must be 15, you suck, you dont understand music, im better then you, na na naboo boo!
Quote by SidKain
pit 101: First and foremost, check spelling and attack grammar, continue to attack skills and musical education of original poster even if one has never met or heard of original poster. now tis time to wiki a random, useless arbitrary fact and pretend we are in fact mediocre intelligent, alas its now time to completely misunderstand any form of sarcasm and continue to correct original poster and follow on with "you must be 15, you suck, you dont understand music, im better then you, na na naboo boo!

Who are you?
Quote by SidKain

You seem upset.
Quote by SidKain

Okay, I can't tell if you're serious or trolling. But I've been drinking so I'll go ahead and take this serious.

I think what you think is, the passion for music is what makes it big. But the facts are, that's simply not true. The main reason most bands don't get big are because
1.) a huge record label won't notice them,
2.) building a fan base has to be the hardest thing to when you're only playing locally, and
3.) the band doesn't have the will or determination.
Like, if they wanted to make it big, they'd have to pretty much be as persistent as they can possibly be for as long as it takes. Usually forever. Eventually, they just give up.

So no. Turn that 100% into about a 1% or 2%. And that might be kinda generous.
Kueller, i am very upset, i used to think my work was coming along nicely until the pit made me realise im 15 and crap.... since then i only play the Violin tuning flute
Quote by da_

This guy also needs to work on his soul-crushing pessimism
Quote by SidKain
Kueller, i am very upset, i used to think my work was coming along nicely until the pit made me realise im 15 and crap.... since then i only play the Violin tuning flute

1. Are you really getting that affected by people on the internet?

2. Did you really get that down from what was a glimpse at criticism and/or the real world reactions?
^ My god. Yes. I COMPLETELY forgot to mention this one. Thank you.
I would listen to that. If you're going in with the mentality of "making it," you're doing it wrong.
I think you have better chances of making it, than I have making an interesting post in The Pit.
"Since the comprehension of sweet sound is our most indefinite conception, music, when combined with a pleasurable idea, is poetry. Music without the idea is simply music."
- Edgar Allan Poe
Making it?
I'd say 0.0003% or something extremely small.

I've met bands that have been touring nonstop and have a large label support, still don't make any kind of money to live off of.

Good luck.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
If at first you don't succeed. Sell out.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Nameless742
If at first you don't succeed. Sell out.

If you haven't succeeded then you are in no position to sell out
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by hriday_hazarika
There is no making it.

You might just get lucky, that's all.

I would consider this to be the best answer.
Quote by CaptainCanti
playing Pixies type of music?

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
CaptainCunti at his best.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
The day you shit a gold bar, that's the day you'll make it, my friend! Sad but true.
za blooooooooos..
Page 1 of 2