Hey, so I feel like I'm in a songwriting rut where any riffs I come up with are 1-2 bars long that just end up repeating themselves, sometimes with small variations and changing notes but overall the same thing. However, when I look at tabs and listen to bands like Periphery, the riffs seem to be a lot longer (example: Insomnia after the initial chugging, even the chugging has a more varied rhythm than I could think of) and more interesting than what I can think of. How can I think in terms of longer riffs?
OK, well lots of band write repetitive riffs. It's a boring example, but Enter Sandman is three repeats of the same figure followed by a 2nd figure. So it's a 4-bar riff that uses 2 ideas. According to Kirk in the Some Kind Of Monster film he wrote it as a 2-bar riff and that's how it stayed, until James suggested he repeat the 1st figure 3 times and use the 2nd figure as the 4th bar. So there's one idea ...

Repeat the first figure (the first bar) of your riff a number of times and use the second figure (the 2nd bar) of your riff as a 'tail' to the first bar's 'head'.

As far as Periphery goes I'd never heard of them, but I've had a quick listen to Insomnia ...

The riff starting at 0.31 is composed of 4 cells - the first cells sounds like 7 notes of a descending arpeggio that's been buggered around with a bit. The next cell sounds like the same arpeggio in reverse - it's also 7 notes long. The rhythms of these two are identical - straight 16ths. There's a couple of chugs. Cell 3 is another ascending thing, same rhythm but continues for 11 notes. Cell 4 continues the ascending thing further up the fretboard and extends for 15 notes.

So this is still fairly repetitive (arpeggiated figures), but the idea's spun out in a different way - descending/ascending/ascending a little further/ascending further still.

So there's another thing you can do.

Write a 1 bar riff, reverse it, extend it, extend it further.

It's not going to be quite as simple as that makes it sound - it's unlikely you'll like the reversed version of the riff so you might need to muck around with a bit to make it work - but that's the general idea.
Quote by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
I struggle with this sometimes too. One thing that helped to inspire me was something I noticed about a few Lamb of God songs back when their guitarists were doing a column in Guitar World(like 8 years ago, damn where's the time gone!)

Anyway, I don't remember which songs exactly, but a few of their riffs are fairly repetitive but they would be structured so that the bars are constantly changing. The bars would go like this:

A | B | A | C | A | B | A | D

So basically every other bar is a repeat but the second bar is different or it could be thought of as a 4 bar repeat with 2 endings, but because bars 1 & 3 are the same it makes it feel like its repeating more often with different endings.
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
Something from Messiaen ... additive rhythms.

Take a phrase in constant 8th notes against a constant back-beat. Now play exactly the same notes, but alter the duration of one (or more) of the 8th notes so it's a dotted 8th note. This will shift the rhythmic emphasis of the notes against the back-beat.

You can also throw your rhythm off-kilter by inserting a couple of chord chugs (like in Insomnia), a short phrase, or just some silence between segments of the riff and then continuing where you left off. If you've got a good drummer in your band they might be able to keep the back-beat going in one hand/foot, while emphasising the off-kilter rhythm in another hand/foot as you play (or you can always call on Doktor Avalanche to do it for you if you've no drummer).
Quote by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat