Hi, i need help with guitar headstock.
I bought some new 70's neck, i think its STARcaster fender neck. So i need to load it with nut, tuners.
Headstock holes are 10mm, so i found some tuners pic here:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Brand-New-SECO-Strat-Tele-Chrome-G-Deluxe-6-In-Line-Guitar-Tuners-S-55-BS-/00/s/MjgyWDUzMw==/$T2eC16V,!zEE9s3!Y%28+lBQrV!+Ih%28g~~60_12.JPG

And as you can see, bushing are 9mm.
Can i place them, or i need exactly 10mm tuners?
Thanks!
Quote by BaDG0oD
Last one! its totally the same. Kind of 70s style, isnt it

Yes, it's the 70's big headstock style. Those starcasters are fenders, not squier (really!), they were made for department and retail stores (kind of like the silvertones and kays of the 60's) like target and best buy and can be found from online stores sometimes. They are fairly recent guitars, though I am not aware of if they have stopped production or not, I know that there are examples of the arrow style headstock ones (middle pic) at least as far back as 2004 and somewhere between then and 2007 they switched to the 70's style large headstock. They have standard chinese parts but are well built for the price point. On mine only three parts ever had problems: the nut broke with heavy gauge strings though that was more my fault for putting too heavy of strings on a cheap nut (though it's plastic so it was bound to eventually), the one saddle (A) became sharp in the groove and became a break point for strings (the A would break every month or so with normal use, but I strum hard with stiff picks), and the tuners got a little stiff but nothing a little cleaner couldn't help.

The first headstock is from an original starcaster from the 70's, it was one of fender's models from when they made semi-hollow guitars. The most well known user of original ones would probably be Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead. They look like this:

Fender decided to reuse the name for the line of cheap strat-body guitars to sell as a starter pack.

The "dual output strat" in my sig was an 07 starcaster (I got it new, the chrome red with non-matching large headstock is the rarest color, though I do believe there was a black one with flame graphics at one point), but the only original parts left are the body, neck plate, bridge (saddles have been swapped though), and jack plate. The replacement neck is a GFS vintage gloss fat-C shape one.

The original neck now resides on a black strat-copy body my buddy found and fixed up as a gift for me, he even made HH because I was jonesing for a blacktop strat at the time. I had given him the neck in a trade for some pickups because he was going to use it for a project, he wound up putting a new waterslide on the headstock (it says "fender" only, no "strat" denotation, similar to old lefty mustangs) while he had it, but never got around to putting the body he wanted to build together for it so it wound up coming back to me anyway.
Last edited by tukk04 at Apr 5, 2013,
But Question is:
Headstock with 10mm holes, will fit tuners with bushing whats only 9mm???
Or i need exactly 10mm bushings?????
Quote by tukk04
All that info, no answers. Anyway no you'll need 10mm tuners or conversion/adaptor bushings.

Stew-mac sells them (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Tuner_parts/3_8_Conversion_Tuner_Bushing.html)
but you can find them other places too.

By the way, thanks for the huge information, very interesting!
What you think about my fender neck? Is it good?
Its for jazzmaster projeect btw.
Quote by BaDG0oD
By the way, thanks for the huge information, very interesting!
What you think about my fender neck? Is it good?
Its for jazzmaster projeect btw.

It should look pretty cool, and it should fit well. The only thing you may need to replace at some point would be the nut. Jazzmasters are teh awsom btw! Seriously though, I love offsets.
Lol, offsets makes me crazy... Jaguar, mustang, Jazzmaster makes me almost ... eh
I need to buy nut, dont have it yet.
Also, i found Kluson Style tuners, with 8mm or 10 mm ferrules! You can choose ferrule size.
Then go with 10mm so you won't even have to get conversion bushings. Kluson style are my favorite tuners. No locking stuff to mess with, no specific way to do it like modern style tuners, just trim the string a bit put it in the hole and tune up, easy as possible. I put the GFS ones on my red starcaster's new neck and my tele came with them too.
Quote by tukk04
Then go with 10mm so you won't even have to get conversion bushings. Kluson style are my favorite tuners. No locking stuff to mess with, no specific way to do it like modern style tuners, just trim the string a bit put it in the hole and tune up, easy as possible. I put the GFS ones on my red starcaster's new neck and my tele came with them too.

Hey man, you painted your guitar bodies by urself?