Page 3 of 4
Quote by Bigbazz
Talking about age/wisdom.

This forum has a much higher percentage of younger people than the other guitar forums I'm a member of, specifically teens and early 20s and it really shows, when I look around other forums like the Music Radar, Marshall amps and Seymour Duncan forums I don't see anywhere near as many aggressive, pride driven wikipedia experts arguing endlessly and pointlessly, because those forums have a much smaller percentage of younger members.

For a start, someone who has enough experience in stupid, pointless arguements that I often see popping up on these forums will be wise enough to not let it get out of hand. Yes you can say "oh bla bla evidence this, prove that etc etc" but really to the reader who has seen it time and time again it just looks like you're all full of shit, making a massive thing out of nothing and nitpicking to the very extreme just prove yourself to be right or "win" an arguement.

Have your opinion and use your experiences but expect other people to disagree, the problem with this internet and the wikipedia geniuses is that everyone is an expert in everything and often enough think they know better than the real experts with real world experience.

How many threads have to turn into turd throwing contests over something so pointless and petty? If there was any degree of "wisdom" around here I can tell you that it wouldn't be this many.

well, we're judged guys. next step: damnation.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I like what I get out of my Ampeg, for like thrash/black metal. The Gallien-Krueger RB400 I used to use, for bass, sounds pretty decent. Cheap too. That's a big part of it is cheap, I really don't have >1k to blow on an amp right now, or I totally would.

A buddy of mine use to own a GK RB400. Sounded pretty good for the low price tag.
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Apr 8, 2013,
^Yeah, it's like, I'm a musician, not a money fountain.

That would be cool though...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

Yeah. I have a hard enough time dropping $2000-$3000 on a used car without breaking the bank.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

You're a musician? I thought you played bass.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
FWIW, coming from an engineering perspective, SS amps should be more reliable, but in practice, it's usually the other way around. Tube sockets, the weight of transformers, incredible amounts of heat, etc. should make tube amps much more prone to damage, and low end tube amps *cough*Bugera*cough* often show all of the disadvantages of tubes. SS amps on the other hand, have lightweight transformers, no sockets, dissipate less heat, use less power, etc.

The problem is that 1) every SS amp on the market is wave soldered (which isn't necessarily disadvantageous, unless the machine is poorly set up, which it often is in overseas factories, guaranteeing cold joints which will fail prematurely) and 2) the majority of SS amps on the market are built as cheaply as possible; this includes using components that are rated at the bare minimum to ensure a working product, cheap hardware, cheap semiconductors (which often equate to more noise), leaving out protection circuitry (the Marshall AVT is notorious for this, where they left out a series of protection diodes which results in damage to op amps when unexpectedly large signals are present at the input) and various other cost cutting measures.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Cathbard
You're a musician? I thought you played bass.

Yeah, I get stuck playing bass sometimes. I seem to be the only person alive that can lock in with a rhythm section.

Nothing worse than a sucky bassist...

I do add some flail though. Bringing the ring finger in on fast runs is hella fun.

I WOULD LIKE TO ADD (wow it's like I'm e-drunk or something) that many SS amps have pcb-mounted jacks and pots. This factor alone makes their reliability plummet maybe.
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Apr 8, 2013,
Quote by Arby911
Age has little to do with either knowledge or wisdom, that's utter rubbish.

While both can be acquired by experiential learning (Aka the hard way, the school of hard knocks, life etc.) that's far from the only method available, nor is it the 'best'.

If age were the determinative factor, every old person would be both smart and wise. Since that's clearly not the case, I'd say your claim falls overwhelmingly short.

Since your claim was neither wise nor knowledgeable, we can now use it as an example to further reinforce that age isn't the primary (or even a particularly salient) determinant.

So you're telling me you knew more when you were 20??!! I'm sorry for you for peaking a tad too early. I never stated older people are all smarter but I guess you read differently & your logic is pretty absolute.
What ever a person's basic intellegence is, ie the ability to learn, will develop and grow thru their own experiences making them more than the sum of what they've simply read or been taught. While young kids today are very much the "I want it all now generation", we are talking time fior this to happen.

Quote by Bigbazz

This forum has a much higher percentage of younger people than the other guitar forums I'm a member of, specifically teens and early 20s and it really shows, when I look around other forums like the Music Radar, Marshall amps and Seymour Duncan forums I don't see anywhere near as many aggressive, pride driven wikipedia experts arguing endlessly and pointlessly, because those forums have a much smaller percentage of younger members.

For a start, someone who has enough experience in stupid, pointless arguements that I often see popping up on these forums will be wise enough to not let it get out of hand. Yes you can say "oh bla bla evidence this, prove that etc etc" but really to the reader who has seen it time and time again it just looks like you're all full of shit, making a massive thing out of nothing and nitpicking to the very extreme just prove yourself to be right or "win" an arguement.

Have your opinion and use your experiences but expect other people to disagree, the problem with this internet and the wikipedia geniuses is that everyone is an expert in everything and often enough think they know better than the real experts with real world experience.

How many threads have to turn into turd throwing contests over something so pointless and petty? If there was any degree of "wisdom" around here I can tell you that it wouldn't be this many.

Sometimes I forget UG doesn't have a "like post" button. Shame, I'd have pushed for this one. You're right of course what do I care about the opinions of people I really don't know and likely wouldn't be hanging around with anyway as we're too different.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Apr 8, 2013,
I was brightest when I was in elementary school. This is before I stopped giving a ****.
looks like the adults have showed up to tell how bad we are.

hey man, if 'us kids' are so damn bad then stop hanging out in at Romper Room and go to some cork sniffer, proper adult site where the put a cloth napkin on their laps when they eat.

i don't show up to your sites telling you how stuffy, old, and arrogant you sound like because it's rude and i have better things to do with my time.

btw, i am 33. i consider myself an adult, but also consider it incredibly immature to point your finger at everyone and make it a point of telling everyone how juvenile they are acting.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
looks like the adults have showed up to tell how bad we are.

hey man, if 'us kids' are so damn bad then stop hanging out in at Romper Room and go to some cork sniffer, proper adult site where the put a cloth napkin on their laps when they eat.

i don't show up to your sites telling you how stuffy, old, and arrogant you sound like because it's rude and i have better things to do with my time.

btw, i am 33. i consider myself an adult, but also consider it incredibly immature to point your finger at everyone and make it a point of telling everyone how juvenile they are acting.

Somebody needs to do it, all I see on this website is decent discussions turning into turd throwing contests by a few people who want to "win" discussions and can't keep their ego/attitude in check. Feels like every other thread that could possibly split opinions turns into one of these type turd throw contest threads.

And for what it's worth you're older than me, I'm a relatively young and dumb one too at a leisurely 27 years old. I'm here because I share an interest in music and guitarist equipment in particular, not because I want to read people going mental at each other.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Bigbazz-

You need to start a thread in "The Gear Page" and ask what the best OD pedal is for under $550.

It's a bunch of randy old men arguing about the best tube screamer clone...

Also people have different opinions and you can expect discussions to pop up. When people don't argue I get worried that there is a bunch of bandwagoning. It happens too often.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by KenG
So you're telling me you knew more when you were 20??!! I'm sorry for you for peaking a tad too early. I never stated older people are all smarter but I guess you read differently & your logic is pretty absolute.
What ever a person's basic intellegence is, ie the ability to learn, will develop and grow thru their own experiences making them more than the sum of what they've simply read or been taught. While young kids today are very much the "I want it all now generation", we are talking time fior this to happen.

Sometimes I forget UG doesn't have a "like post" button. Shame, I'd have pushed for this one. You're right of course what do I care about the opinions of people I really don't know and likely wouldn't be hanging around with anyway as we're too different.

Do most people generally gain more knowledge as they get older? Yes. Does being old in the first place necessarily make you more knowledgeable? No. Thats all there is to say on this point.

Bigbazz: It was the old guy who turned a simple argument into a discussion about age. Instead of arguing the point or providing a counter argument he basically said hes older and wiser and thats enough. Well, its not.

As far as speaker coils opening up and taking out a couple of resistors and blowing a set of tubes, shit happens. Definitely makes me reconsider a 1x12.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Bigbazz
Somebody needs to do it, all I see on this website is decent discussions turning into turd throwing contests by a few people who want to "win" discussions and can't keep their ego/attitude in check. Feels like every other thread that could possibly split opinions turns into one of these type turd throw contest threads.

i started on this site in my late 20's, at some point i found myself 'policing' practices i found unacceptable... but that was really just me projecting my morality. if i find content i don't approve of on UG i generally just ignore it (i really don't know why i am replying to this tbh).

really, i am here becuz i would have loved to have someone explain certain things to me when i was younger. so when i see a question i try to answer it without making the TS feel dumb for asking the question. i do this because that is what i would have wanted as a younger guitarist.

i feel there are a number of really knowledgeable members that use site for similar reasons.

what other people use this site for... . it's not up to me and i won't call them out unless there advice is malicious or misleading.

i think as long as you are having fun (and you are not having fun at the expense of someone else) then: welcome to UG, i hope you play guitar.

Quote by Kevin Saale
Do most people generally gain more knowledge as they get older? Yes. Does being old in the first place necessarily make you more knowledgeable? No. Thats all there is to say on this point.

that is pretty much the point. i have been pretty humbled by people older and younger than me. i prefer to base my evaluations off merit rather than age.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Apr 8, 2013,
Get off my ****ing lawn, you godamn whipper snappers.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Get off my ****ing lawn, you godamn whipper snappers.

shit, the old man has had his coffee. grab the ball and run.

-ae
Just watch for his signature dildo stick, he's been training with it for years.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Just watch for his signature dildo stick, he's been training with it for years.
Careful or I'll turn you into a popsicle.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
A bit of the ol' stealyourface?
Always close by to sort out you whipper snappers if you give me any lip.

Now get off my ****ing lawn!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by Bigbazz

That's bollocks. I agree that there is a lot of antagonism on these forums, but that isn't to do with the age of forum users. I used to go on another forum called "BassChat", which was mostly full of middle-aged blokes who were at least as antagonistic if not moreso than people on here.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by Kevin Saale
Do most people generally gain more knowledge as they get older? Yes. Does being old in the first place necessarily make you more knowledgeable? No. Thats all there is to say on this point..

That's all I said in bold. the rest was you're assumption.

Quote by Kevin Saale
Bigbazz: It was the old guy who turned a simple argument into a discussion about age. Instead of arguing the point or providing a counter argument he basically said hes older and wiser and thats enough. Well, its not..

Again, I gave you my experiences as a working technologist for over 30 years which you simply brushed off as if you'd know more about elctronics than me (with what training you've had)?. Sort of proves you wouldn't listen to any other opinion than your own doesn't it. Secondly I didn't say anywhere I was wiser than you I said, if your read carefully, that your not as smart as you think you are and that's common to young people your age.

Quote by Kevin Saale
As far as speaker coils opening up and taking out a couple of resistors and blowing a set of tubes, shit happens. Definitely makes me reconsider a 1x12.

The "debate" was never about "how" damaged or broken something was, that fact was it was damaged and needed repair.

I'm done with you.
Moving on.....
All that knowledge and wisdom and you still can't just shrug off someone whose opinion you supposedly give no value? Pathetic.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by KenG

Again, I gave you my experiences as a working technologist for over 30 years which you simply brushed off as if you'd know more about elctronics than me (with what training you've had)?. Sort of proves you wouldn't listen to any other opinion than your own doesn't it. Secondly I didn't say anywhere I was wiser than you I said, if your read carefully, that your not as smart as you think you are and that's common to young people your age.

Do you really want to compare resume's?

Because I'm pretty sure I can match you line for line, but I'm smart enough to recognize that there are some younger folks here that simply have more electronics knowledge than I do, and several that have a significant amount of hands-on experience. There are at least 5 regular posters here that I wouldn't hesitate to hire for electronics design, installation and/or maintenance if I had the need.

Electronics isn't as difficult as some like to pretend it is, it follows well-known rules and once you know the rules and how to properly apply them it's relatively simple. I've been able to make a very good living the last several years by taking skills that are 'supposed' to take years to acquire and teaching them to motivated learners in a far shorter time period.

I've found that age is irrelevant, only capacity and motivation matter.

Here's the bottom line. You may indeed be highly skilled, and you may have a significant amount of knowledge and experience to offer and if that's the case you would undoubtedly be an asset here.

But you come off like a douche, so nobody cares about that other stuff. Respect begets respect and you're new here so consider you haven't earned any yet...

This is a good group of folks, if a bit abrupt on occasion (I'm guilty of that more than most). Give them a chance to give you a chance.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

Because I'm pretty sure I can match you line for line, but I'm smart enough to recognize that there are some younger folks here that simply have more electronics knowledge than I do, and several that have a significant amount of hands-on experience. There are at least 5 regular posters here that I wouldn't hesitate to hire for electronics design, installation and/or maintenance if I had the need.

Electronics isn't as difficult as some like to pretend it is, it follows well-known rules and once you know the rules and how to properly apply them it's relatively simple. I've been able to make a very good living the last several years by taking skills that are 'supposed' to take years to acquire and teaching them to motivated learners in a far shorter time period.

Here's the bottom line. You may indeed be highly skilled, and you may have a significant amount of knowledge and experience to offer and if that's the case you would undoubtedly be an asset here.

But you come off like a douche, so nobody cares about that other stuff. Respect begets respect and you're new here so consider you haven't earned any yet...

This is a good group of folks, if a bit abrupt on occasion (I'm guilty of that more than most). Give them a chance to give you a chance.

Best post so far.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by KenG
I said that your not as smart as you think you are and that's common to young people of any age.

ftfy

as i grow older i find my peers are just as stupid and narrow-minded as they were in earlier life (me included if i want tbh about it), they just tend to have more experience so as not to show it.

how you are addressing Kevin show precisely how people (of any age) have a difficulty seeing past their own perception and overvalue their own POV.

Quote by Arby911
There are at least 5 regular posters here that I wouldn't hesitate to hire for electronics design, installation and/or maintenance if I had the need.

+1

i am older than all of them too.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Apr 9, 2013,
Quote by Arby911

The poster in question (ill stop using names), was the 1st one to start the cycle, but yes I should've brushed it off. I didn't and appologize. But at least I took the time to see what his profile said before coming back to argue. I like to be informed on what or whom I'm dealing with (provided of course they've bothered to include any info on their profiles, so many don't).
This is probably something you could've done before you stepped in. You would've seen the fact that I'm hardly new here joining back in 06. I haven't frequented the site much in the last few years having noted the trend in members interests getting away from guitar per se to more less metal guitar. You can only read som many posts on how a "guitar has to have 24 frets for metal" or "$200 Agile is as good as or better than Gibson Les Paul" before you dismis the general membership altogether. I spend most of my time on another site & yes it has generally a more "seasoned" crowd on it.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Apr 9, 2013,
Which part of your wisdom advised you to come back to a site you've dismissed as immature and start an argument?

See that's the issue people are having; you're calling us all immature and not worth your time... Yet you're here, spending your time. It just doesn't add up. The only logical conclusion is that you're just a pompous old dude who enjoys talking about how 'experienced' he is. Your user title would lead me to believe the same. I don't care how old you are, that's immature behavior.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Ken- You are aware many different styles exist?

Its a fact that as every year goes by more younger people will join and probably listen to music we don't like.

I will post and try to help them learn rather than call then names (okay, I may call them a few in the process), as I was once in their shoes and didn't really know jack shit.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by KenG
The poster in question (ill stop using names), was the 1st one to start the cycle, but yes I should've brushed it off. I didn't and appologize. But at least I took the time to see what his profile said before coming back to argue. I like to be informed on what or whom I'm dealing with (provided of course they've bothered to include any info on their profiles, so many don't).
This is probably something you could've done before you stepped in. You would've seen the fact that I'm hardly new here joining back in 06. I haven't frequented the site much in the last few years having noted the trend in members interests getting away from guitar per se to more less metal guitar. You can only read som many posts on how a "guitar has to have 24 frets for metal" or "$200 Agile is as good as or better than Gibson Les Paul" before you dismis the general membership altogether. I spend most of my time on another site & yes it has generally a more "seasoned" crowd on it.

I agree with the metal stuff.
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Apr 9, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
Always close by to sort out you whipper snappers if you give me any lip.

Now get off my ****ing lawn!

That is hilarious!
Quote by KenG

I find it unfortunate that you still felt the need to tell me what I could (let's be honest and read that as 'should' shall we...) have done, since the expressed concern wasn't material to the discussion at hand and came off as needlessly nitpicky.

Out of courtesy I'll address it anyway. You're 'new' here, as in this group and this (sub)forum. Your join date is immaterial since, as you said, you haven't been on much in the last few years.

I'm done reasoning with you, the ball is in your court from here on out. You can accept or reject my perception, characterization and advice as you will.
Charles Darwin
When is there EVER a nitpicky argument where one of the parties says, "Hey, I'm sorry. You were right allllll along. I should've known better. I've been a prick.".....Pretty rare. Pretty rare, indeed.
OK let's review the history

Here's my 1st post in repsonse to a comment on tone. No real issues.

Quote by KenG
I was able to get some sparkly Fender single sounds out my LP on the HD500. Normal tone controls don't usually have the range of adjustment in frequency, bandwidth or gain for this. In fact many classic tube amps tone controls are passive and can only cut the ranges they adjust.

Next here's my comment simply stating some points on semiconductors vs tubes. It's simply a statement directed at no one in particular nor was any member quoted

Quote by KenG
Transistors do not have a defintive life to them like tubes. That being said excessive heat will kill transistors. Running an amp flat out could do it, mismatching impedances may draw excessive current through a transistor which would overheat it. Another thing that can occur is if the transistors (or FETS) are ganged in parallel to increase power and one fails the others will overheat and quicly follow.
One thing they don't do though is blow when there's no load. Tube amps will and I've repaired a few that this has happened to.
I think the whole question is somewhat loaded as there's a lot more SS models at the lower end of the price spectrum than tube amps.
As someone who actually remembers the original decline of tube amps in favour of SS way back, the SS amps back then failed to deliver the tube sound, especially on distortion. Thats not really true these days as there's been tons of designs developed that are much more satisfying than the old harsh sounds of years ago.

Here's the response I got. Quoted my post paost and directed at me. This was the 1st smartass answer.

Quote by Kevin Saale
Tubes don't have a definitive life either.
Tube amps blow when they don't have a load attached. Wow, user error, not an error in the design.

Here's my response back trying to be reasonable and explain a little further..

Quote by KenG
Tubes do wear out, that's we had tube testers to measure tube performance. They just degrade slow enough that most people don't notice. If they aren't driven they can last a long time yes. Transistors, MOSFETs generally work and when they fail it's quick. They do not "wear out"they get damaged, either during manufacturing by things like ESD through improper handling, poor design of the circuits they are used in or as I mentioned being run at 100% during use, or by overheating for other reasons, (fan failures, poor installation affecting cooling or even cascade type failures. One of our current products uses 3 MOSFets per side on an electronic regulator and the designer found variances between production dates that had them (FETs) not all performing equally, when one had a lower on resistance the others, it would take more than it's share of current over stressing it and resulting in its failure.
The two tube amps I repaired with damaged power amps lost the load when the speakers coils opened up, hardly user error..

This is the response I got. He insinuates the above post by me is bs. Politely maybe, but this is where it started to get personal.

Quote by Kevin Saale
Everything wears out, that isn't a point at all.

The only 2 amps you've ever repaired were because of speaker coils failing? Seems pretty unusual to me. Still not a fault in the amp. Sure the design isn't perfect, but you still don't see folks calling for protection for this kind of thing. Just isn't that big of an issue. Most tube amps are fine without a load attached for a bit. I just find it hard to believe that a speaker coil would fail and the amp would instantly blow the output transformer. If something else blew its really not that big of an issue..

After this post I responded I mentioned I'd repaired a lot more than 2 amps, explained my career experience and made the statement that he seem pretty confident for some who was so young. From then on it degraded.

Now, this is all in the order it happened. The first smart ass answer that went from a general discussion betwen us was from Kevin. When I offered more information he again came back as a smartass know it all, then I fired a shot. That's two of his before mine, it's all here on this post if you want to go back. SO make me out to be the "bad guy" the posts speak for themsleves.
Moving on.....
Quote by Dimarzio45
When is there EVER a nitpicky argument where one of the parties says, "Hey, I'm sorry. You were right allllll along. I should've known better. I've been a prick.".....Pretty rare. Pretty rare, indeed.

Agreed.
Charles Darwin
Jeese. Only on UG can a simple comment about something can be twisted and turned into a huge flaming argument of pure mental ******ation.

Ugh, it's rather a painful sight to see.

Can't we all just, you know, not fight like a bunch of 3rd graders, conduct some intellectual discussions that don't involve shit throwing, and actually talk about the instrument??
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build