I'm talking about songs that everyone in the room usually starts singing them. My songs I use are:
1. Wild Thing by The Troggs
2. Twist and Shout by The Beatles
3. Just A Friend by Biz Markee (Just the chorus "Baby You, you got what I need, but you say he's just a friend" that song)
4. Foxy Lady by Jimi Hendrix is good
and last but not least...
5. The Joker by Steve Miller
Hakuna Matada by Elton John (I think) is pretty awsome too plus every one loves hearing it.

You Are My Sunshine by Johhny Cash is one everyone likes to hear but it's not all that catchy just sad. Oliver Hood wrote it for any smart (i dont know the censorship rules on this forum) trolls
Quote by ThatGuyOnDrugs
You Are My Sunshine by Johhny Cash is one everyone likes to hear but it's not all that catchy just sad.
FWIW, "You are my Sunshine". has it's own Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Are_My_Sunshine Johnny Cash's version is a cover.

A few doable catchy songs for acoustic would be: "Here Comes the Sun", "Brown Eyed Girl", (<extra catchy), "Paint it Black", and since you mentioned "Wild Thing", I'll see that, and raise you, "Get off my Cloud".

Mary-Chapin Carpenter has a few memorable issues also, "Slow Country Dance", "He Thinks He'll Keep Her", "Twist and Shout", and "Never Had it So Good".

Things that stick in my head, and possibly no one else's: "Beside the Rio Grande" (The Strawbs), "Roads to Moscow" (Al Stewart), "Bonny Portmore" (Loreena McKennitt), "Matty Groves", (Trad. Arr. Fairport Convention).

EDIT: For some reason when someone mentions "You are My Sunshine", the very next thing that pops into my head is Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land".
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 5, 2013,
Twist and Shout is a good one. A couple other of my favorites are Should I Stay or Should I go? , Are you Gunna Be My Girl, and The Fugees cover of No Woman No Cry by Bob Marley. That and The Kinks You Really Got Me.

btw Captaincranky I know Johnny Cash covered you are my sunshine thats what the sentance after it was for.
Quote by ThatGuyOnDrugs
btw Captaincranky I know Johnny Cash covered you are my sunshine thats what the sentance after it was for.
Forgive me. I was sidetracked by the parenthetical phrase with musings about forum censorship policies, and the out of time period and context references to "trolls".
since you bring it up cranky.... what's the difference between the rolling stones and a drunken scotsman?

the stones sing " hey hey you get off of my cloud"
the scotsman shouts " hey hey ! McCloud ! get offa my ewe !!"

as for catchy songs... Rod stewarts maggie mae gets everyones attention( with 2 guitars the mandolin can be done)
Quote by stepchildusmc
since you bring it up cranky.... what's the difference between the rolling stones and a drunken scotsman?

the stones sing " hey hey you get off of my cloud"
the scotsman shouts " hey hey ! McCloud ! get offa my ewe !!"
Ah, it's a cruel world up there in the hee-lands". The poor lamb never saw it "coming", when McCloud told her, I'm taking you to dinner .....

Quote by stepchildusmc
as for catchy songs... Rod stewarts maggie mae gets everyones attention( with 2 guitars the mandolin can be done)
Right, capo guitar 2 up a 4th. (5th fret?)

(Key of C major open plays as G. Key of D major open, of course, plays as A).

I suppose The Stones "Angie" qualifies as a "catchy tune". Although I fear what ethnic wrath you might be able to inflict it.

And then there's the Philly favorite, the "Vic Snyder Plumbing Jingle". ""
SING IT! "To reach Vic Snyder any time, call Plumber 3 1919... Plumber 3, 1919." Wow... it's burned in my brain!
...Simply rousing, I tell you.

Um, "Pinball Wizard"....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 5, 2013,
Glory glory glory have you forgotten " Johny be Good" Cheers