Okay so I want the new alex wade signature guitar (AW-7) and not only because im a fan of whitechapel and alex wade but also because i like the specs, theres only one problem. Its a 25.5 inch scale guitar, do you think it could handle drop G tuning for songs like I dementia by whitechapel? What the tone suffer, will the strings be super wobbly and if so how wobbly? and do they make 7 guitar strings with a really high gauge to eliminate the wobbliness or do i have to assemble my own set of strings?
Sure it can be done. You'd probably need a 13 gauge set of strings with a wound G, or thicker.
Quote by Lavatain
Sure it can be done. You'd probably need a 13 gauge set of strings with a wound G, or thicker.

Lol im new to 7 strings, it dont really know what that means, can you explain it to me? and can i just buy like 12-54 and add like a 62?
62 is not enough for Drop G. Its decent for Drop A and even there its floppy kind, not optimal for heavy handed chugging. (IMHO) Try 8 string set and throw the thinnest string away.

http://www.ernieball.com/products/electric-strings/2020/8-string-slinky-electric-nickel-wound

74 bass string should be enough I guess.

There are 7 string sets with thick bass string, but I cant find one at the moment.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 5, 2013,
Ive got 62 for B on a 25,5 ltd mh 417 and it gives me 18.0 tension some kinda medium heavier. You'll need 76 and 11-52 or 11-54. i guess to keep the tension right, for A my mate got 68 and tension is same as 46 on E. 74 will not not cut it enough i guess
Last edited by rockstar256 at Apr 5, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus
62 is not enough for Drop G. Its decent for Drop A and even there its floppy kind, not optimal for heavy handed chugging. (IMHO) Try 8 string set and throw the thinnest string away.

http://www.ernieball.com/products/electric-strings/2020/8-string-slinky-electric-nickel-wound

74 bass string should be enough I guess.

There are 7 string sets with thick bass string, but I cant find one at the moment.

Awesome thanks i'll consider the 8 string set and through the thinest away and look for a 7 string set but are you sure that using the 8 string set and throwing the thinest away and being left with the 13-74 will fit the bridge, tuners and the nut? i dont want to mess it up or something?
Quote by rockstar256
Ive got 62 for B on a 25,5 ltd mh 417 and it gives me 18.0 tension some kinda medium heavier. You'll need 76 and 11-52 or 11-54. i guess to keep the tension right, for A my mate got 68 and tension is same as 46 on E. 74 will not not cut it enough i guess

Unless my tension calculator is mistaken 74 would give 15.98lbs in G, about the same as a 10 an E standard. So it should work just fine unless you like the strings stiff.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by rockstar256

i dont mind it wobbling a little, but will it work? i am sorry i didnt really understand what you said.
Quote by GuitarNewbee
Awesome thanks i'll consider the 8 string set and through the thinest away and look for a 7 string set but are you sure that using the 8 string set and throwing the thinest away and being left with the 13-74 will fit the bridge, tuners and the nut? i dont want to mess it up or something?

A nutjob (no, not that ) and proper setup is definetly required. Does it fit through tuners? No idea. Nothing that a little drilling wont fix. Honestly, it would be pretty stupid for 7 stringer to not have big enough hole for 70+ gauge string though thats just my common sense talking.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
@GuitarNewbee yup, u have to drill tuners and holes, most 6 strings are made for 60-62.

@maaZeus yes but bass string should have higher tension, any thing thats gives lower tension than 17.00 has floppy feelin. And i dont like heavy tension , just regular or slighty heavier. Matter of opinion but 76 will be optimum
Quote by rockstar256
@GuitarNewbee yup, u have to drill tuners and holes, most 6 strings are made for 60-62.

@maaZeus yes but bass string should have higher tension, any thing thats gives lower tension than 17.00 has floppy feelin. And i dont like heavy tension , just regular or slighty heavier. Matter of opinion but 76 will be optimum

True. I prefer stiff low string myself. 74 was biggest I could find with quick search though, so custom is required I guess. Not a big problem. 13-56 or 13-62 6 string set and add 76 on top.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
A nutjob (no, not that ) and proper setup is definetly required. Does it fit through tuners? No idea. Nothing that a little drilling wont fix. Honestly, it would be pretty stupid for 7 stringer to not have big enough hole for 70+ gauge string though thats just my common sense talking.

Will i only have to make the tuning keys bigger or will i have to make the holes where you put the strings through (the guitar is a body through) aswell? and how would i do this nutjob?
Quote by GuitarNewbee
Will i only have to make the tuning keys bigger or will i have to make the holes where you put the strings through (the guitar is a body through) aswell? and how would i do this nutjob?

I was talking about the hole where your string goes through the tuning peg. If the hole in the guitar is not big enough aswell, then it needs drilling too though I'm not sure I'd have guts to do that.

And about the nut, if the slot is just little bit smaller than the new string, you can try to file it bigger with the new string unless the nut is bone or metal. However, I recommend taking it to guitar tech/luthier that does it properly and have a proper setup done at the same time. This is something you should do with your new guitars anyway, it is usually less than ideal from factory and also because you are installing much thicker strings than it has now. The truss rod will need adjustments.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
i have a 7 string 25.5 scale i think, tuned to d standard plus a low A. (what do you call that? that a mouthfull) anyway, i order individual strings in packs of 3 and 6 and i have a 74 for my A string. it's a bit to loose for my taste at A, but i like my strings tight, i use a 60 for my D. i think the tension would be suitable for most people, but it's certainly sloppier then my d string. i've tuned it to gcgcfad and it worked but pretty sloppy. if you could find an 80 or 90 you'd be better off, but i don't know if most guitars can intonate properly that size. and the thing is, even looking at individual strings i couldn't find anything thicker then 74. i wanted thicker... so i think for that low you would be better off with another guitar with a larger scale. it's never going to reach it's full potential, unless you do find something thicker then 74. BUT don't let me deter you! like i said i like my strings tight... i don't want to be held responsible if i convinced you to make a bad decision lol. this is just my 2 cents, and hopefully there's a good dollar or more worth of posts here.
Quote by manvspig
i have a 7 string 25.5 scale i think, tuned to d standard plus a low A. (what do you call that? that a mouthfull)

A Standard
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
definitely can be done. you just gotta get bigger strings. my guitars got a 24.75 scale and i keep it in g# or g. i like 65s for the biggest string. 74 seems a bit overkill to me.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
it can be done but the gauge string u use will be so thick that the higher and higher u go up on the fretboard the harder its gonna be to play and its just an uncomfortable experience..... this will slightly mended with a proper setup.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Just slap a set of Dr DDT7's they go 13-65 on there. I know that alex uses 11-56 plus a .70 on there. and it seems to work fine for him. Especially with those D' Marzio activator 7's on there.
I"m actually thinking of buying a set of them. they're cheaper that the Seymour Duncan blackouts I was looking at too.
Mate, the chick from Kylesa plays in drop G on a Les Paul, I am sure you'll manage on a 7 string