I don know much about equipment.

But why do multieffects pedals have "pre amp" settings? Or why do multieffects pedals have a bunch of different amp versions?

What i am looking for in a multieffects pedal is one that brings all the effects that a typical amp would not like chorus, flanger, whammy, wah etc.

When i look for a multi effects pedal i am not looking for something to replace the tone of my amp.

Would anyone like to recommend me a semi pro multi effects pedal keeping in mind these things?

Im also in the market for a new amp that would work well with it. I like playing rock and 'grunge' type stuff but i also like to get creative and make real smooth spacy sounding stuff with effects.

Budget: ~$1200
TC Electronics G-System
Not semi-pro though, it's fully pro - but you should be able to find one in budget somewhere. If I was building a new rack it would be at the top of the shopping list.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 5, 2013,
If you're looking for Effects without amps you should consider Line 6 M series
Or better yet, buy the line 6 vetta II amp. All you need in one package! In your budget too.
Quote by Cathbard
TC Electronics G-System
Not semi-pro though, it's fully pro - but you should be able to find one in budget somewhere. If I was building a new rack it would be at the top of the shopping list.

Sorry i meant budget is 1200 with a new amp so amp and effects pedal. And also effects pedal must have that patch system where i can quickly switch to preset tones by foot switch.
Quote by fupashredder
But why do multieffects pedals have "pre amp" settings? Or why do multieffects pedals have a bunch of different amp versions?
Because some people want them. You don't have to turn the (pre)amp model on.
Quote by fupashredder
This probably sounds like a goofy question but what makes that amp worth $560 while my line 6 spider 2 amp only like $200

Because:
1- It's a Traynor
2- It's tube powered. Oh excuse me, Vaaaaaaalve powered.
3- Your amp is the entry level line 6 (continue reading)
4- .........it's a spider edition.

Edit: I liked my Spider 4 (It being my first half stack). However, it's just a lower quality amp. Plus side, it's priced like that. I liked some of the tones I was able to get out of mine. The only downside about it was that it seemed to bottom out, especially on the low end, close to the half way mark. I liked its bell-like clean tones though. They just don't tend to shine at higher volumes.

I'm not sure about the older spider editions, but, I like mine and I feel people down talk them a bit too much for what they are. They're pretty versatile.
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Apr 5, 2013,
Not much help on grunge amps myself, but I can highly recommend spending half your budget on the M13 with a mission engineering expression pedal. Use the other half on the amp of your choice and you'll be set.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Those big multi-fx boards are like that because they work best when plugged into the FX loop of your amp. The FX loop bypasses the preamp circuit, so essentially it allows you to closely emulate a specific amp as close as you can without a Kemper Profile. I messed around with a Line6 Pod XT Floor or something like that it was pretty cool but I found with my tube amps that didn't have effects loop it didn't sound good to me so I had to unload it.

dkunick hit it on the head with the M13 its pricey but I believe it is all of Line6's pedal simulations in one floor board with nothing else; however I don't think you get a whammy pedal with it, but I am not 100% on that never messed around with one.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Quote by ne14t
Those big multi-fx boards are like that because they work best when plugged into the FX loop of your amp. The FX loop bypasses the preamp circuit, so essentially it allows you to closely emulate a specific amp as close as you can without a Kemper Profile. I messed around with a Line6 Pod XT Floor or something like that it was pretty cool but I found with my tube amps that didn't have effects loop it didn't sound good to me so I had to unload it.

dkunick hit it on the head with the M13 its pricey but I believe it is all of Line6's pedal simulations in one floor board with nothing else; however I don't think you get a whammy pedal with it, but I am not 100% on that never messed around with one.

i think you are right about the whammy pedal. i do have the digitech whammy which i like but it constantly goes out of calibration within 5 mins of playing every time!!! drives me crazy
Quote by ne14t

That's why I recommended the expression pedal, it doesn't come with one but is essential to using the wah and harmonizer fx as well as the many other fx on the fly. Amazing combo for the price. 4CM lets you assign the fx channels either preamp or in the loop as desired and any config can be saved as a foot switchable patch (scene) for quick access. Super easy to use.

TS, recommend an amp with an fx loop to get the most out of any MFX unit.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by fupashredder
I don know much about equipment.

What i am looking for in a multieffects pedal is one that brings all the effects that a typical amp would not like chorus, flanger, whammy, wah etc.

When i look for a multi effects pedal i am not looking for something to replace the tone of my amp.

Would anyone like to recommend me a semi pro multi effects pedal keeping in mind these things?

Im also in the market for a new amp that would work well with it. I like playing rock and 'grunge' type stuff but i also like to get creative and make real smooth spacy sounding stuff with effects.

Budget: ~$1200
digitech rp7, nuff said
Quote by DESTROYER5000
digitech rp7, nuff said

Um...no. With TS' budget there are much better and newer options. C'mon.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by Cathbard
TC Electronics G-System

+3.14159265359

it is one hell of a unit. i should have bought one a while ago, there was one up for a really good price on CL. at the time i thought my pedals would be all i need. but the G-system is about as 'professional' level as it gets. i would take it over either one of the line 6 pedals (m9 m13) any day, but line 6 is putting some good stuff out there.

another option which is really nice is the G-maj 2 sounds pretty good on demos, but i haven't played one. it has a really nice harmonizer effect. it traces really well, you set the key you are playing in and it tracks really fast. i think there is a video of five finger death punch demonstrating that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
No doubt TC makes quality fx, but with a $1200 budget for amp and fx TS won't get there from here. G-Major 2 is a bit more in range but then TS would still need a controller floor board and expression pedal and a rack to mount it in. For the money, ease of use, and pure/absolute flexibility of parameters and chain placement of any fx, I think the M13 is hard to beat.

TS, FYI, if your interested in the Traynor previously recommended there is a 50W combo with new tubes and V30 spkr for $400 used on eBay now, he'll ship anywhere it appears.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw=Traynor+YCV20+15W+guitar+tube+amp+with+Celestion+Alnico+Blue+speakers
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Last edited by dkunick at Apr 6, 2013,
Quote by dkunick
No doubt TC makes quality fx, but with a $1200 budget for amp and fx TS won't get there from here. G-Major 2 is a bit more in range but then TS would still need a controller floor board and expression pedal and a rack to mount it in. For the money, ease of use, and pure/absolute flexibility of parameters and chain placement of any fx, I think the M13 is hard to beat.

TS, FYI, if your interested in the Traynor previously recommended there is a 50W combo with new tubes and V30 spkr for $400 used on eBay now, he'll ship anywhere it appears.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw=Traynor+YCV20+15W+guitar+tube+amp+with+Celestion+Alnico+Blue+speakers

thanks guys you have all been very helpful. Im not sure im ready to buy everything just yet.

another question. would i be able to get the line 6 m13 and hook it up the same way to my spider 2 amp that i would if i have that traynor amp? i was thinking of getting the pedal first and waiting a little while and getting the amp later so it doesnt hurt my wallet as much.
The power amp in the spider is crap. You'd be better off with something like a Line6 Pod HD400/500 and a powered wedge.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^Cath is right. If you must have the fx now they would work, but you do need a better amp. The HDs are a nice option if you need distortion and amp modeling. If that's not the way you wanna go save up for a newer amp later. Nothing wrong with spiral purchasing to get where you're wanting to go. Hell, I don't think I'll ever be done upgrading or picking up new toys.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by Cathbard
The power amp in the spider is crap. You'd be better off with something like a Line6 Pod HD400/500 and a powered wedge.

what is a powered wedge??

i have done some more reading around and it sounds like the podhd500 is the same thing as the m13 just with a bunch of other stuff also, and a built in expression pedal.

the reason i didnt like the podhd500 was it seemed like it was a toy like creation used to replace the need for a good genuine amp by using the amp models.

if i can use the podhd500 without the amp models and with a good amp with no interference, wouldnt that be the better option in the long run?

it seems like the podhd500 is kinda the successor to the m13
Personally I've found that multi-FX sound better through actual guitar amps than poweramps or powered speakers. In my experience a tube amp with alot of clean headroom works best to get the full potential from the amp models. I have an old Ampeg VT-22 head that's perfect in that regard- it's loud as hell, has a very versatile EQ and has clean tone for days. The downside is that it weighs a ton and is 40 years old so I've been looking for something cheaper, lighter and newer. To my surprise I've been having good luck with a Peavey ValveKing 100-watt head that I picked up for next-to-nothing. I run a Vox TonelabLE into the Peavey's clean channel and have been digging the hell out of the results. I used to use a Line6 PodxtLive but I've found the Tonelab sounds better for my purposes. I haven't tried any of the HD Line6 units. Obviously you can also turn off the amp-models and use multi's just for their effects but there are advantages to using the amp-models if you can find sounds you're happy with. I like being able to set up multiple patches that can change the sound radically with only one stomp (I HATE the pedal-dance). My main rhythm sound on the Vox consists of the models of the Soldano SLO-100 and the KLON Centaur overdrive, then I set up patches that are various configurations of that sound with different effects, plus I can switch to a really pristine clean sound without having to change channels on my amp. The best thing about this setup is the changes you can make for a lead sound- I add some delay, maybe a little chorus or phaser, change up the eq settings and boost the volume considerably, all with just one stomp- my solos just blast out of the mix. I know alot of purists that look down their nose at this idea but, if you pair the right unit with the right amp and know how to tweak it properly it's amazing the sounds you can achieve. A few years ago I was playing through a $2,000-plus Framus Cobra and never would have imagined going onstage with an amp and effects setup that cost less than half that combined but hey, this setup does what I want it to do and sounds great so I'm a happy camper.

That said, the TC Electronic stuff is a great suggestion if you can afford it and decide you don't want the amp-models. If money was no object I'd probably go out and grab a Fractal Axe-FXII but I can't see spending three grand (including the floor controller) when my current, inexpensive setup fits my needs so well. Then again, who knows? That unit does look mighty intriguing...
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Apr 10, 2013,
Quote by fupashredder
what is a powered wedge??

i have done some more reading around and it sounds like the podhd500 is the same thing as the m13 just with a bunch of other stuff also, and a built in expression pedal.

the reason i didnt like the podhd500 was it seemed like it was a toy like creation used to replace the need for a good genuine amp by using the amp models.

if i can use the podhd500 without the amp models and with a good amp with no interference, wouldnt that be the better option in the long run?

it seems like the podhd500 is kinda the successor to the m13

The HD500 is definitely not a toy, it's very good for what it does. That said, I find the M13 much easier to program and use. BL: if you need decent amp/cab sims, or want the option to try them with a new amp, go with the HD; just need FX, get the m13 w/ expression pedal (or two). Neither option however will make your current amp sound great.

On ease of use/programming (scale of 10), I rate the HD at about 5 with only limited playing time, and the M13 a 9 (which I own).
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by dkunick
The HD500 is definitely not a toy, it's very good for what it does. That said, I find the M13 much easier to program and use. BL: if you need decent amp/cab sims, or want the option to try them with a new amp, go with the HD; just need FX, get the m13 w/ expression pedal (or two). Neither option however will make your current amp sound great.

On ease of use/programming (scale of 10), I rate the HD at about 5 with only limited playing time, and the M13 a 9 (which I own).

the difficulty of use is one thing that threw me off to the hd500. a guitar teacher of mine once let me borrow his and i was storing a marshal half stack for a friend and i tried to get them working together and couldnt. i also tried it with my line 6 spider 2 and also couldnt. it sounded like it was coming from busted up 1980's computer speakers.
Quote by fupashredder
the difficulty of use is one thing that threw me off to the hd500. a guitar teacher of mine once let me borrow his and i was storing a marshal half stack for a friend and i tried to get them working together and couldnt. i also tried it with my line 6 spider 2 and also couldnt. it sounded like it was coming from busted up 1980's computer speakers.

I ran one thru our PA and it sounded fine, but the learning curve is much shorter on the M13 if you don't need amp sims.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro