Please, someone knows when the Gibson les paul studio model started to come with trapezoid inlay on the fingerboard? I'm asking it because I found an announce on internet where a person is selling a Les Paul studio 1995 with trapezoid inlays. I think it very strange because I have a Les Paul Studio 1998 and it doesn't have trapezoid inlays.

Thanks
Is yours a special or studio?
I don't know the specifics, buy in the late 1990's early 2000's Gibson did some diffrenet inlays on the studios. I had a 2000 LP studio and it had mini trapezoid inlays on it. they were a little smaller than the standard LP inlays. I know some even had dots.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
My Les Paul is Studio with dot inlays! I ask it because the Les Paul in the announce seems to be fake. I'm from Brazil and here there are a lot of people selling fake les paul from China!

Thank you for your answer!
Well; mine has the trapezoid inlays and it is about ten years old, so it was clearly before that. I think the switch to block inlays was relatively recent, when they started to expand the Studio line.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Post pictures. If it's fake there ought to be more obvious signs in addition to the inlays.

I think the change was in the early/mid 90s, I want to say they went from dots to small traps to large traps in 1996 but that's just my crappy memory. Probably wrong
I think the smaller trapezoid inlays were real mother of pearl and it was pretty expensive and they went to abalone or some sort of less expensive inlay material with bigger trapezoid inlays. I only heard that, I didn't read it or get it from Gibson so I may not be correct.
Quote by JarrodH38
I think the smaller trapezoid inlays were real mother of pearl and it was pretty expensive and they went to abalone or some sort of less expensive inlay material with bigger trapezoid inlays. I only heard that, I didn't read it or get it from Gibson so I may not be correct.

Most inlays other than the Custom, over the years, have been Pearloid.
That's actually a plastic made of nitrocellulose. There have also been some acrylic (also plastic) inlays. These plastic inlays are found on nearly everything Gibson, including the original '59 bursts, etc. The issue with most of these inlays is that, like the nitrocellulose finishes, they deteriorated, turning green and brown, shrinking, chalking and deforming. One of the ways that you can confirm the originality of a '59 burst is that their tuner buttons (also made of nitrocellulose-based plastic) shriveled and "raisined," the pickup selector switch turned brown, the inlays began to come loose, etc.

The Custom has traditionally had real Mother of Pearl inlays. Abalone was generally more expensive than MOP, and we didn't see much of that at Gibson.

Over the last two or three years, Gibson has begun putting real MOP on some of its other (mostly higher end) guitars as well.