you know that feeling when you can drown out a drummer going full tilt just by having your volume at about 3.5? Good fun isn't it!

I'm not saying it's a good idea haha, we all like to still have our eardrums intact of course, but just saying that when your amp can almost slam you into a wall with its volume it's quite satisfying.

Anyone have any fun stories of excessive amp volume?
I have a 20 watt head that will drown out a drummer.

When the guitar drowns the drummer the mix or the people sound like shit. It is not a good thing at all
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

When the guitar drowns the drummer the mix or the people sound like shit. It is not a good thing at all

Oh I completely agree!! 100%, it's just a nice feeling to have that amount of grunt there, you know. Not that it should ever be used, it's just a good feeling if that makes sense.
Also I should add I'm a bit drunk haha so I'm mostly just chatting crap but who doesn't enjoy having a nice powerful amp.

I got my Chinese on right now, jamming Deep purple Machine head in my man-cave
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

I got my Chinese on right now, jamming Deep purple Machine head in my man-cave

Haha that makes me laugh on levels you most likely weren't even aware of. My lead vocalist is chinese, and he's a complete boob, bless him. ****ing funny chap.
My singer is Cuban, and he swam here all by himself
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
My band is quite multicultural.. As you know our lead vocalist is Chinese, on secondary vocals we have a Latvian girl that does low end grunts believe or not, our drummer is Portuguese, as was our previous bassist who is now history due to lack of commitment (which is a shame because he was ****ing good) and me and the keyboardist are both English.

Though I have to say, swimming there all by himself.. Yar, unless you're already in Cuba I'm sceptical, I may be drunk but I'm not 12!
Last edited by NotTheMessiah30 at Apr 5, 2013,
Quote by NotTheMessiah30
Ronery, feel so ronery...

6505's are loud.

I didn't even get to 2 before it was proper level with the drummer.

Turn yours to 5 and enjoy that bitch.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
6505's are loud.

I didn't even get to 2 before it was proper level with the drummer.

Turn yours to 5 and enjoy that bitch.

If I turned mine to 5 i'd be deaf for life! I dunno if you have the head or the combo but i have the head and run it through a marshall 1960A when i get the chance (such as today) and it almost took my face off tonight after the new tubes. The max my ears could take was 3.5 on post with pre at about 7.5, and that was crushingly loud! And i mean I could even feel in my bones that I was pushing my luck with my ears.

As an additional note, if you're not in serious competition volume wise with your drummer at 2 and you do have the 120w head then do consider retubing. Initially I thought mine sounded fine (bought second hand) and thought it was plenty loud but then i retubed it and holy **** it's a whirlwind of pure metal tone! Or a malstrom of pain as mustaine might put it!
Last edited by NotTheMessiah30 at Apr 5, 2013,
^ x2

Spare your ears and your gear. Let the PA take the abuse. They are generally designed to project to the crowd much better than any cab config.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Back in the day, my Hiwatt stack cranked to the gills on a hot summer night brought three police cars to the house. I barely heard the sirens. Oh, to be young again...

Of course, the ticket was three hundred bucks.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
there is a highschool that is probably about 1 mile away (as a crow flies) and i can faintly hear their band when they have football games.

i really wonder if i put a 4x12" and a head at a high level (on the second story) outside and dimed it if they could hear me.

it would be fun to find out. my neighbors know me most would be watching... lol.

on another note i will be closing my new house in the next three weeks, potentially this week. i am psyched. i will go back and fourth though. i am just excited.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by NotTheMessiah30
If I turned mine to 5 i'd be deaf for life! I dunno if you have the head or the combo but i have the head and run it through a marshall 1960A when i get the chance (such as today) and it almost took my face off tonight after the new tubes. The max my ears could take was 3.5 on post with pre at about 7.5, and that was crushingly loud! And i mean I could even feel in my bones that I was pushing my luck with my ears.

As an additional note, if you're not in serious competition volume wise with your drummer at 2 and you do have the 120w head then do consider retubing. Initially I thought mine sounded fine (bought second hand) and thought it was plenty loud but then i retubed it and holy **** it's a whirlwind of pure metal tone! Or a malstrom of pain as mustaine might put it!

I use to play mine at a 11.