i sometimes tune my guitar from drop B to E standard, will that mess up the guitars because of the big gauge strings, will it warp my neck, i think the highest i usually tune to is Drop D which i rarely tune to, im usually on drop C or drop B but sometimes go to E standard, will it mess up my guitar? The guitar is a 25.5 inch scale if you need to know
I have 10-52's on my guitar for E standard and sometimes go down to D standard/drop C. I dont go any lower.

I wouldnt go to standard with that gauge. That will put too much strain on the neck I think.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Won't ruin guitar. Strings will snap though. Wouldn't go above D standard or Drop C# on those things
Strings will be fine. I'm assuming electric guitar? That's pretty much the gauge of acoustic strings. Will be tighter than usual, obviously.
1966 Stella Harmony Acoustic
Epiphone Dot Studio
Fender Starcaster (Made by 5 year olds in China)
THE Epiphone Mandolin
Dean 7 String (Totally Korean)
Yamaha C45m
Mitchell 12 MD100S

More Strings=More Range=More BadAssery
Also, I'm gonna assume your truss rod isn't setup for E if you usually have it in drop B. So if you need to go up to Standard, when you're done go back.
1966 Stella Harmony Acoustic
Epiphone Dot Studio
Fender Starcaster (Made by 5 year olds in China)
THE Epiphone Mandolin
Dean 7 String (Totally Korean)
Yamaha C45m
Mitchell 12 MD100S

More Strings=More Range=More BadAssery
Quote by Reighnart
Also, I'm gonna assume your truss rod isn't setup for E if you usually have it in drop B. So if you need to go up to Standard, when you're done go back.

Um well actually my guitar hasn't been setup for anything, i never got it set up for a certain tuning, i just used it straight out of the box, and what high up can i go from drop B?
one question, will detuning and retuning your guitar make the neck curve? like lets say i go from high tuning to low tuning, will it mess it up?
Yes!!!!!!! It will... actually doing that a lot of times without reajusting the neck might permanently deform the neck. This will happen with any string gage
Quote by marianoarnaiz
Yes!!!!!!! It will... actually doing that a lot of times without reajusting the neck might permanently deform the neck. This will happen with any string gage

so are you saying everytime i go from a low tuning to a high one i have to adjust the truss rod? or can i just intonate it? sorry for all the questions i dont really know much of setting a guitar up
Have to say it really depends on the guitar. One built well with good quality parts and setup right for it should be fine but be wary of cheaper models.... I had a BC Rich a number of years ago that wasn't exactly great and in my ignorant youth I decided to set it up with 13-56 strings tuned to E standard. Suffice to say it didn't take it too well after a couple of months, the string tension managed to tear the base plate of the trem off of the sustain block!! Though in fairness the trem fitted to that guitar (as I've mentioned in a couple of other threads when I see that same unit) was basically made of cheese with tiny screws holding it together.

Anyway, the moral of the story is if the guitar is of good quality and you set it up ok you should be fine, however if it's cheap and the hardware is made of cheese then stick to a lighter gauge string!
If you were just using the one tuning, no, it wouldn't be bad for the guitar.
If you are switching between tunings though, you need to set the guitar up for each tuning every time you change. Not doing so and simply uning that far up and down constantly is very bad for the neck.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
*edit* nevermind. Everything I said was already covered.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 6, 2013,