Hi guys! A singer and I are playing at a gig soon. She would like me to play some songs at some points to give her voice a break. I went through some of the stickies and found nothing. So, what are some intermediate-advanced acoustic guitar solo songs? Preferably minimal fingerpicking, and hopefully something that doesn't make the audience get bored! Thanks!
Jennifer Nettles lets "what's his name" sing from time to time.

In any case, I suppose any suggestions would have to be predicated on the type of material you're going to be performing in the first place.
Quote by shreddymcshred
They're not songs if they don't have a vocal part.

Cliffs of Dover - Eric Johnson
Drifting - Andy McKee

I could go on, but none of those are really playable.

We are playing some pop, and rock.
Quote by Jackolope
Hi guys! A singer and I are playing at a gig soon. She would like me to play some songs at some points to give her voice a break.
I'm stuck on a set list. Many rock songs are rhythm based with forgettable melodies. The only two otherwise that spring to mind are "Paint it Black" (Stones), and "Norwegian Wood" (Beatles). Maybe "Turn, Turn, Turn".

I'd ask her to sing a few tunes acapella, to give my fingers a rest. But, that only serves to explain why I'm a bachelor. Plus, I'm not trying to cause a rift in your band...

Or am I...
Quote by Captaincranky
I'm stuck on a set list. Many rock songs are rhythm based with forgettable melodies. The only two otherwise that spring to mind are "Paint it Black" (Stones), and "Norwegian Wood" (Beatles). Maybe "Turn, Turn, Turn".

I'd ask her to sing a few tunes acapella, to give my fingers a rest. But, that only serves to explain why I'm a bachelor. Plus, I'm not trying to cause a rift in your band...

Or am I...

Thank... you? Haha, I don't mind playing some songs on my own, almost everything else is chords, so it'd be nice to do something a little different. Thank you for the suggestions. I'll most likely do the whole melody-rhythm simultaneous thing.
Why not lay down a 12 bar blues track and just jam over the top. A medley of like, Chuck Berry
stuff always goes down well, then throw in some of your own stuff. I suppose it depends on the age of your audience. But one things for sure once you have your audience rockin don't stop. Cheers
Quote by tuxs
Why not lay down a 12 bar blues track and just jam over the top. A medley of like, Chuck Berry
stuff always goes down well, then throw in some of your own stuff. I suppose it depends on the age of your audience. But one things for sure once you have your audience rockin don't stop. Cheers

No one wants to see some self-indulgent crap like that.
Learn some fingerpicking stuff, if you're the only one playing then you should want to get as much as possible out of the guitar. Melody, harmony and rhythm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHtwF-gpluc
Sungha Jung. He plays a lot of popular songs that most people know. He does fingerpick though. If you can pull it off I don't think anyone would get bored.
Playing guitar since 2010

Quote by theogonia777
well said

that galalayo nigga would have been all like

bitch ain't no way they'll ever have telescopes that can see pluto

but we have telescopes that can see pluto so fuck that guy
Quote by derek8520
^^^ Was that a joke response?
That sounds shit
Ingrate....! Normally, if you wanted to listen to something that pretentious, you'd have to suffer through a half hour or so of PBS fundraising to do it.

What that said, I'd let that go, and hold out for the PBS "Celtic Woman", Beg-A-Thon, the phone lines are open, extravaganza... There's enough pomp there to celebrate an Irish king's coronation. Plus, the redhead singer girl has a super nice ass.......

And remember, it's not over until the fat lady sings, and your wallet is empty.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 14, 2013,
"A**" umm... uhh... Alex, I'll take "what is an ARK?" for 200.
I'll bet that with those facial expressions, either he's carryin' a load in his pants or(and) he has no friends. i think i'll stick with Alice in Chains.. i like having friends.
Last edited by stepchildusmc at Apr 14, 2013,
Quote by stepchildusmc
"A**" umm... uhh... Alex, I'll take "what is an ARK?" for 200.
Fixed! Stepchild, you're at minus $200.00, but you still have control of the board.....

Quote by stepchildusmc
I'll bet that with those facial expressions, either he's carryin' a load in his pants or(and) he has no friends. i think i'll stick with Alice in Chains.. i like having friends.
You just don't understand it.
Quote by shreddymcshred
They're not songs if they don't have a vocal part.

Technically this is true. If it has no vocals, it is called a piece not a song
Quote by Addonexus408
Technically this is true. If it has no vocals, it is called a piece not a song
Perhaps, but you have to maintain context to clarify what you're referring to.

For example, in mi barrio, "a piece", costs about ten bucks and is intended to be either snorted, or placed in a syringe.....
Quote by Captaincranky
for example, in mi barrio, "a piece", costs about ten bucks and is intended to be either snorted, or placed in a syringe.....

Well i obviously didnt mean it that way considering we are on UG and this is a thread about acoustic solo pieces.
Quote by Addonexus408
Well i obviously didnt mean it that way considering we are on UG and this is a thread about acoustic solo pieces.
So, this means I should append everything I post with, "ROFLMAO", in order to render explicit my context?
Doc Watson's flat picking of Black Mountain rag is pretty hard to beat as far as I'm concerned.