Page 1 of 2
Dr Sixstring
UG's Snips
1,277 IQ
Do you just see yourself playing your current guitar for the next few weeks, months, years, etc. or do you see yourself getting rid of it in the next while?

I see myself playing my PRS SE Custom 24 for the next probably 10 years. Because I still have high school, college, then law school. So I probably won't be getting any guitars, I don't really want to keep getting 3-400$ guitars. I'd rather just have my next guitar be really nice. How about you guys?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
rander7917
200 IQ
i really dont see myself selling any guitars in the near future.

i have 3 1/2 right now(ill explain)

fender 95 mim strat (ive had for 10 years and its my baby, i love it and will never under any circumstance sell it.)

fender dg7(ive had this one almost as long and i love it, this is like my baby acoustic)

fender 2012 mim strat( just got it but its a great replacement as my main guitar since the 95 is kind of used up)

fender malibu ce (heres the half, i saw it at a pawn shop and loved it so i put it on layaway till i get paid next week, gonna be a great guitar to carry with me to the beach and camping this summer)

i can see meself getting more but i really cant see myself selling any.
SteveHOC
Used Register
1,051 IQ
I've sold off what I thought could go. I was doing the buy, flip, profit thing for a while, but I think I peaked at it for the time being. It allowed me to go from around $1,000 worth of junky gear to about $6,000 worth of decent gear. My guitars are all useful in different respects now, and I'm probably only missing a couple of key pieces to get where I'd like to be.

That said, and you can see it in my sig, I've got a Squier VM Jazzmaster. That will probably be given to my brother at some point once I finish up some upgrades, and I'll buy a CP to replace it. As for selling gear, I think I'm done with it. It's a big hassle for the most part and I've learned to buy strictly while I really want/need, and to skip the fleeting feelings of lust.
OffsetOffset
Dr Sixstring
UG's Snips
1,277 IQ
Nor do I. I would never sell my PRS or Ibanez which is my first guitar, the only guitar I'd sell is my Squier.

Digitech Bad Monkey

T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
Hopefully I'll never get rid of my Gibson V. Sounds and plays too damn good to sell.
Regarding the furry fandom from the man himself:
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 5, 2013,
rander7917
200 IQ
unfortunatly for all of us though, as musicians, when hard times hit, the guitars are always the first things to go. sad but true. i've had the choice of do i either want to get fired because i dont have the gas to get to work, or do i want to put my guitar on hock for a bit. its the ****ed up truth lol, and too many times they never come off hock
King Donkey
yes
777 IQ
Forever, this JP6 I have is pure sex.

Might buy a few guitars for different tunings and purporses but my Music Man shall remain the one I keep in my most used tuning.
West Ham United
stonyman65
Unregistered User
809 IQ
I'll play it for a long time. The only problem that I have with it now is that it is in serious need of a re-fret and maybe a new nut because it's been completely worn out after 8 years of playing it every day.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
SteveHOC
Used Register
1,051 IQ
I guess I'm lucky, I haven't had to do that. It also comes down to budgeting; I'm not going to buy a $2,000 guitar when I know I've got bills coming up. I'm unemployed, got laid off a couple months back, but haven't had to sell any guitars, blood, or organs.

I guess I'm not really sure that all musicians have to be bad with financial planning by nature. It's just knowing your own comfort zone in terms of cash-flow and the potential for major financial crisis.
OffsetOffset
supersac
Tab Contributor
630 IQ
i dont have any highend guitars and being left i dont expect to make much money of the ones i DO have
so for a while
i probably will never sell my current acoustic or electric cause they were presents from my parents but i do see myself replacing them as gigging instruments especially my ibanez the body and neck have taken quite a beating in the past few years at gigs
Mister A.J.
Ker-Blang-a-Woggle
318 IQ
I will only part from my CT7 in death. Even then, I will request that it gets buried with me.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
rander7917
200 IQ
hey im not bad with my money either. i was laid off for about a month and when i got called back to work, i didnt have any money so my acoustic was in the safe keping of the pawn shop for about two weeks while i waited for my first check
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Since I've gotten into building, I won't be buying anymore guitars. But I'll probably never sell my RG770DX.
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,165 IQ
I think the longest I've kept any single guitar was 14 months.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

SteveHOC
Used Register
1,051 IQ
Quote by rander7917
hey im not bad with my money either. i was laid off for about a month and when i got called back to work, i didnt have any money so my acoustic was in the safe keping of the pawn shop for about two weeks while i waited for my first check

Gotcha, I just hate hearing the generalizations about "hard times", since those hard times can often be softened by a decent degree of common sense or learning from others/previous hard times. This is probably also the reason I don't have super expensive gear; I always think in contingencies and rarely, if ever, put myself in the sights of creditors or loan officers.

Hell, I've never even had a credit card or loan, and I'm 25. Most of the people I know in my age range are dealing with car payments or student loans. I should also say that I've never really made a dime off of gigging, so until that starts happening, I won't be buying out of my budget. Anyway, major tangent there, moral of the story: don't buy gear you aren't prepared to keep or can't afford. I've sold way too many guitars because I got momentarily inspired, luckily it was always used gear and I always made money.
OffsetOffset
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by SteveHOC
Gotcha, I just hate hearing the generalizations about "hard times", since those hard times can often be softened by a decent degree of common sense or learning from others/previous hard times. This is probably also the reason I don't have super expensive gear; I always think in contingencies and rarely, if ever, put myself in the sights of creditors or loan officers.

Hell, I've never even had a credit card or loan, and I'm 25. Most of the people I know in my age range are dealing with car payments or student loans. I should also say that I've never really made a dime off of gigging, so until that starts happening, I won't be buying out of my budget. Anyway, major tangent there, moral of the story: don't buy gear you aren't prepared to keep or can't afford. I've sold way too many guitars because I got momentarily inspired, luckily it was always used gear and I always made money.

So if I'm doing good now and I buy something that's within my means, I'm wrong because I might not make as much money in the future? I don't follow your logic. Or maybe you think every person that experiences a financial hardship deserves it?

I'm sorry, but the moral of your story doesn't quite sum up what you were saying.
SteveHOC
Used Register
1,051 IQ
Quote by W4RP1G
So if I'm doing good now and I buy something that's within my means, I'm wrong because I might not make as much money in the future? I don't follow your logic. Or maybe you think every person that experiences a financial hardship deserves it?

I'm sorry, but the moral of your story doesn't quite sum up what you were saying.

Sorry, that was a bit ambiguous. What I'm saying is that selling guitars rarely yields a profit (unless you scored big from the start). I am always a proponent of making decisions that don't stretch the budget far beyond the means of comfort. Similar to the school of thought that preaches that one should have six months living salary saved in case of crisis. The basic idea is that one should not cut into the emergency fund or take out a loan that puts them in potential danger for a guitar. So yeah, don't go beyond your means, which is something I said. Don't take out loans you can't afford, and plan for the future. That's just my opinion, you know your limitations and some people have their own systems.

Edit: just re-read my previous posts and I'm not sure where you're confusion is in the "deserving it" bit - if you blew your savings on a guitar and lost your job, then that's not smart financial planning. If you own guitars bought with money set aside and have sustainable savings as well, it shouldn't come down to selling anything (pending major medical expenses or some crazy catastrophe).
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at Apr 6, 2013,
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
The only guitars that have left my ownership were irreperably dead when they did so. I see that trend continuing.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by SteveHOC
Sorry, that was a bit ambiguous. What I'm saying is that selling guitars rarely yields a profit (unless you scored big from the start). I am always a proponent of making decisions that don't stretch the budget far beyond the means of comfort. Similar to the school of thought that preaches that one should have six months living salary saved in case of crisis. The basic idea is that one should not cut into the emergency fund or take out a loan that puts them in potential danger for a guitar. So yeah, don't go beyond your means, which is something I said. Don't take out loans you can't afford, and plan for the future. That's just my opinion, you know your limitations and some people have their own systems.

Edit: just re-read my previous posts and I'm not sure where you're confusion is in the "deserving it" bit - if you blew your savings on a guitar and lost your job, then that's not smart financial planning. If you own guitars bought with money set aside and have sustainable savings as well, it shouldn't come down to selling anything (pending major medical expenses or some crazy catastrophe).

Ok, that makes more sense to me.
SteveHOC
Used Register
1,051 IQ
No judgement here for anyone else, just throwing out my thoughts
OffsetOffset
oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
3,210 IQ
My MH400 I'm never getting rid of. Too much sentimental value in that one, plus it's a damn fine sounding instrument.

My MH1000... that's going shortly for a DK2m.

My 7 string... at some point, for something better.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
GuitarQ33r0
Deathcore Messiah
166 IQ
I get too attached to my guitars so I'll get playing them until they fall apart.
you're never as free as when you are lost
rander7917
200 IQ
Quote by SteveHOC

yeah i feel you it's just the dangers of my line of work i guess. i work at a factory and make good money too. i dont just go out and blow every dime on a brand new guitar, but i set aside 20% for savings then 10% for fun. which usually accumulates into some form of gear, since i really dont have expensive tastes. i eat out at mcdonalds, live in a small apartment, and drive a beat up car. i do like my guitars to be quality though
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
1,381 IQ
Until they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

...Or until something better comes along and I can afford it.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
SteveHOC
Used Register
1,051 IQ
Quote by rander7917
yeah i feel you it's just the dangers of my line of work i guess. i work at a factory and make good money too. i dont just go out and blow every dime on a brand new guitar, but i set aside 20% for savings then 10% for fun. which usually accumulates into some form of gear, since i really dont have expensive tastes. i eat out at mcdonalds, live in a small apartment, and drive a beat up car. i do like my guitars to be quality though

I think I used to have a similar system, then I got married and all that changed (no more dollar menu with a vegetarian wife). I'm probably so careful with what gear I buy because I refuse to borrow money from our parents. That said, my wife has watched me acquire better gear without spending money, so maybe someday I'll splurge a bit and get something a little nicer. I sure as hell won't be selling anything to do so though, my next instrument will be a pure purchase.
OffsetOffset
BigHeadClan
Mistro
339 IQ
Hmm I have 4 guitars currently, the only one I may consider selling is my Ibanez RG420FB but I may just upgrade it.

Besides that one it may be 5-10+ years before I get any new guitars my Custom Shecter, Godin Nylon Duet, Crafter JB2500 are all keepers that may only need little mods here and there.
Often in ones madness resides genius. Thus for a mind seeped in madness, the imagination is limitless.
zenbone
King of two things...
1,385 IQ
i buy and sell a lot, i will hopefully keep my fender Deluxe Reverb LE amp (the wine and beige colored one) for the rest of my life. My Jaguar for life, my gretsch electromatic pro and my MIM strat will probably go at some point as i will use that for a Strat Deluxe purchase. My gretsch cowboy acoustic will stay, my hello kitty squire with the UG's most hated pickup (an invader) will stay, and my Duesenberg Starplayer will most likely stay. have a few others that are just like churn, fix and play then sell off.

TL; DR version - Keep forever Fender Amp, Jaguar HH special and Duesenberg Starplayer. Others eh whatever.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
antisun
1,263 IQ
I don't have any intention of ceasing to play my current guitar. I'm sure i'll end up acquiring more in the future but they'll all get played.
AsOneIStand
1,307 IQ
None of them. I love them all. Still have the Regal Strat my dad bought me (no strings, it's retired. Too much damage on it) I have an Ibanez Art100 (not the greatest, but it does what I need it to do), and I recently bought an Epiphone Goldtop (absolutely love this guitar) Not getting rid of any of them.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
GibsonMan321
Semi-Lurker
426 IQ
Well, I've already been playing my Hellraiser for about 6-7 years... It's been going well so far!

However, after only 3 months with my LTD 7-String I'm contemplating selling it. So I guess it really depends. If I were ever to get a Music Man JP or Luke model, I'd probably be playing that forever.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
In the last year I have bought;

Gibson LP Studio Faded.
Fender MIA Strat
Fender MIA Tele
Fender Thinline Tele 72
Gibson LP Traditional
Fender MIA Strat AVRI 56.

I have sold:

Gibson LP Studio Faded.
Fender MIA Strat
Fender MIA Tele
Fender Thinline Tele 72

I have the LP, AVRI Strat, my old MiM Tele that my girlfriend wouldn't allow me to sell, and is also a great example of a Tele and does compare in feel and tone to some MIAs.

Would I sell the others? Sure, if it meant I could get better guitars. I quite like the ones I have now, they're high end guitars and I don't notice a difference from Custom Shop Fenders, especially as they sold the AVRI as a CS guitar a couple of years ago, but not it has a proper nitro finish and a role 50's maple fingerboard. The Traditional is an equal guitar to the Standard IMO, but just appeals to a different person.

It's no big deal, if you want to upgrade your guitars that's fine. It's a very personal thing, the tone you want and it may take years to find it.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Apr 6, 2013,
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
4,127 IQ
Not long. I'm the guy that found his dream guitar... and sold it after a year. The random partsbuilds and MIK beaters I have live in constant rotation, I love each one for about two weeks before moving on to the next. As some people already know, I'm working on a range of guitars and basses and I'm changing my ideas about what each should be on an hourly basis. Yesterday I was all about single coils. Today I am loving P-90s, semi-hollows and Marshalls. Tomorrow I'll probably be picking my 7-string up again.

Realistically, I can't imagine I'll ever settle on one or one type of guitar. It's just not me. I see value in everything, from the shittiest Strat copy to the most expensive custom builds. I've long said that if I ever made it big, I would be just as proud to use my Epiphones on stage as I would my Gibsons. If it's got strings and makes a noise, I'll play it, fall in love with it, forget it, pick up the next one.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
MaaZeus
409 IQ
As long as I listen to music. Music has been and still is important part of my life, and as long as I listen it I also want to play it.

.edit. Oh sorry, i read you asked how long do you expect to play guitar. Well answer is still the same. I love them all, including my cheap f50.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 6, 2013,
PsiGuy60
UG's Least Wanted
603 IQ
I can see myself using my Ibanez for the next 30 years or so.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Hrvat
Catholic
14 IQ
Till death do us part.
ESP Horizon NT-II (Seymour Duncan) + Marshall JVM410C =

No pedals or any of that stuff, just a raw Marshall tone ran by my fingers!
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist
6,023 IQ
My Les Paul isn't going anywhere. It's my favourite guitar I've ever played. It's a standard Faded Gibson Les Paul but there's something about it that I really connect with. I was offered a 58 reissue in exchange for mine. I declined him, much to his surprise. The guitar was made on my birthday, it's like we're meant to be together I would feel massively shit if I sold my lp. The telecaster, it's a lovely bit of wood and plays and sounds well but I could sell that. I'd definitely miss it, but I'd get over it.
Dr Sixstring
UG's Snips
1,277 IQ
Quote by MrFlibble
Not long. I'm the guy that found his dream guitar... and sold it after a year. The random partsbuilds and MIK beaters I have live in constant rotation, I love each one for about two weeks before moving on to the next. As some people already know, I'm working on a range of guitars and basses and I'm changing my ideas about what each should be on an hourly basis. Yesterday I was all about single coils. Today I am loving P-90s, semi-hollows and Marshalls. Tomorrow I'll probably be picking my 7-string up again.

Realistically, I can't imagine I'll ever settle on one or one type of guitar. It's just not me. I see value in everything, from the shittiest Strat copy to the most expensive custom builds. I've long said that if I ever made it big, I would be just as proud to use my Epiphones on stage as I would my Gibsons. If it's got strings and makes a noise, I'll play it, fall in love with it, forget it, pick up the next one.

I could not do that. I'll be using my PRS and Squier strat for the next 10 years and my PRS probably longer.

Edit: Also my PRS is going to look sooo sick in the next few years, I'm changing all the hardware to black. So far the pickups are black, the pickup switch is black, and the Snark on my headstock is black, now I just have to change the strap buttons, and tuners on the headstock. Maybe also the mounting rings. It's going to look soo sick.

Digitech Bad Monkey

Last edited by Dr Sixstring at Apr 6, 2013,