So, i have decided i want to start playing guitar. Since i am not interested in acoustic guitars at all, i figured i will just start with an electric. My price range is $170 max for the guitar and around $60 for teh amp. So please help a nigga out and recommend me some guitars.
Quote by Addonexus408
You are gonna want to spend more money on an amp than a guitar.
Where are you located?
Type of music?
Willing to buy used gear?

1. Maryland. like close to hyattsville
2.Punk and Indie Rock
3.Sure.
Couldnt find much as far as used gear in your area, If you don't mind buying sight unseen you can check out Rondomusic. They have a variety of decent quality electrics pretty cheap, as for an amp i would suggest looking for a Peavey Vypyr 15 or 30 watt . They are very well liked around these parts and have decent tone and effects built in which is fun if you are a beginner.

Guitar:
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

Amp:
http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedGear/index.cfm
http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm

Zip code: 20781
It seems like there are quite a few Guitar Centers near you.

I honestly have not played most of the guitars listed on the site but there's the link for anyone who wants to recommend GC used gear to TS.

EDIT: As for amps, the two (used) I'd recommend are
Vox VT 40+ - $149.99 Fairfax
Peavey Vypyr 30- $99.99 Glen Burnie

In all honesty, I think you should spend more on the amp. Spending $60 will get you a POS, nothing more.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Apr 5, 2013,
Guitar:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/msg/3717730937.html

Amp-wise, $60 is going to be tough to get something quality. Ideally you're going to want a modeling amp to save you the cost of pedals. I looked through your CL and found a Peavey 15W for $80, though if I were you, I'd save up and try to land a Vox VT or Fender Mustang.

The guitar is doable, but I'd keep saving, and stay away from starter kits.
OffsetOffset
GC sells used Vypyr 30s. I believe they sometimes have free shipping to a local store, and they have a 30 day guarantee. You might be able to score one for $80-100. Then I would just search for used guitar locally. Guitar Center gets a lot of used guitars in, and people sell them on CL all the time. You might find a Mexi strat for under $200.
Quote by JKHC
*cough* *cough*

The Fairfax GC has the 112 Pacifica used for $99.

Cool, go that route then. I saw a Squier VM Strat SSS for $175 OBO on the CL in your area, which is a pretty good price.
OffsetOffset
I'd look for mexican strats, low-end Gretch guitars, low-end Ibanez and Godins. I think it's more important to find a company that makes good low-end stuff than find a guitar that perfectly suits your look and sound. Especially with that budget.

Fender Modern Player, Squier Vintage Modified and Squier Classic Vibe do have a lot of options that would probably be in your price range if used. Check them out, too.
Here is a list of some guitars that intrest me i would really just want to know if they are worth it
Dean Vendetta XM
Epiphone SG Special
Squier Bullet Strat
Ibanez GRX20
Epiphone Special i-p90
Epiphone Junior Special
Those Epiphones and the Squier I would stay away from, but those are the only that I've played and can comment on. I'll say this - if you buy something that plays like crap, you won't enjoy the learning process. With a minimal budget, you will greatly benefit from looking used and making the most of your budget. A decent amp is important, but a guitar that feels good and plays well is more important for learning. The Pacifica should be a possibility if you can really score it for $100, and after that, a used modeling amp should be relatively easy to come by with the amount you can move over having not blown your whole guitar fund.
OffsetOffset
Quote by Addonexus408
You are gonna want to spend more money on an amp than a guitar.
Where are you located?
Type of music?
Willing to buy used gear?

Not with this budget. If you are just starting, the only thing you want from the amp is versatility and OK sound. You don't need the best sounding amp as your first amp.

But your guitar needs to feel good in your hands. If it doesn't feel good and is hard to play, you won't be motivated to play it. Again, the sound isn't the main thing at first. You want a guitar that feels good and plays well. The amp needs to have variety. I would recommend a Micro Cube. I think you can find used ones for pretty cheap. $60 might be enough.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by CrailMute
Here is a list of some guitars that intrest me i would really just want to know if they are worth it
Dean Vendetta XM
Epiphone SG Special
Squier Bullet Strat
Ibanez GRX20
Epiphone Special i-p90
Epiphone Junior Special

The only thing that looks even remotely good on that list is the Ibanez. Don't bother with an epi sg below 400 level, don't bother with an epi LP below Traditional (sorry, I mean Standard), don't buy Squier unless it's Vintage Modified, Classic Vibe or some other special line, and I'm just assuming cheap Deans suck.

There are a lot of good guitars you can get for not that much money, but you're going to have to look in terms of companies that have been established for quality budget guitars. The big names don't have to make quality cheap instruments because they have big names and their cheap stuff mostly goes to beginners who buy on the name and ubiquity of their products.

A quality "cheap" instrument from Epiphone or Fender will probably run you at least 200-300 dollars, which is cheap in the world of guitars, but it's outside of your budget.

Seriously, check out Gretsch, Godin and Ibanez. Used Made in Mexico Strats from Fender also sell for a very low price, and don't neglect to search for used Made in Japan guitars of all brands. You can find real bargains that way.
Last edited by samuraigoomba at Apr 7, 2013,
One of the, if not the best strat I've ever played was a Squier Bullet, so you never know what you might find.
The pacifica rec is a very good idea as well, going to +1 it, started off with one, so did my brother (I had the 012 and he had the 112). 8 years later, I'm still playing on the 112 after modding it heavily, the neck feels very similar to the one on my Musicman Silhouette. One of the best low priced guitars on the market.
Okay thanks for teh help guys. I have three more questions though
1. Are brands made for a specific genre and will only sound well if you play said genre
2. If I am buying a used guitar what should i inspect to make sure it's in decent condition
3. Please give me a list of amps you would recommend
Quote by CrailMute
Okay thanks for teh help guys. I have three more questions though
1. Are brands made for a specific genre and will only sound well if you play said genre
2. If I am buying a used guitar what should i inspect to make sure it's in decent condition
3. Please give me a list of amps you would recommend

1. No, but certain pickups lend themselves to certain tones more easily. That's not to say that you shouldn't experiment with it though, that's how breakthroughs are made.
2. Inspect switches, knobs, neck bow, fret wear, and look at overall condition. Plug it in if you can, or have a friend who plays do so to make sure electronics are in good order. You may want to buy used from a shop since you don't really know what to look for. GC has a 30 day return policy.
3. People have named some in this thread, go through and write them down. Your amp budget is pretty slim, so it's going to be hard to know your exact budget unless you have a guitar price in mind.
OffsetOffset
+1 for the pacifica, very solid guitar stays in tune well and a good range of sounds. Then spend the rest on a good practice amp...Peavey, Roland, Vox.

Have fun looking, and maybe take someone along who plays and knows guitars.
If you go used, make sure the truss rod isn't stripped out or broken.
So please help a nigga out and recommend me some guitars.

Really? Not to sound PC ( I abhor PC), but I hope you are an African-American? If not do you think this makes you sound cool? If so do you think so little of yourself that you refer to your self in a way that is denigrating to you and your race?

Sorry about the rant but too many kids think it is cool to use that term and they end up sounding like uneducated, immature, stupid nitwits.

Also: don't dismiss acoustic guitars. They are great for practice and mobility plus they can help your technique on an electric.
+1 all over this^

Don't purposefully sound like an idiot. Use common sense in a public forum. It's not about being PC, even if you're black, it's about using respectful language. I'm all for freedom in language, but again, you're posting in a public forum, don't perpetuate racist language.

I don't think OP wants to start out on an acoustic at all, but the budget would make more sense if he went this route.
OffsetOffset
Sorry for the use of the n word dudes it was pretty disrespectful.
anywho, is there a way to make an acoustic sound electric like using an amp?
EDIT: Btw the reason why i am being cheap when it comes to guitars and stuff is because i really hate to make my parents spend large sums ot money on me. I would really pay for it myself, but i do not have a job because i am only 13. Right now i am saving up some money to pay for some of the stuff myself by selling sandwiches and other things at school. Sorry for pouring my heart out to you guys haha
Last edited by CrailMute at Apr 7, 2013,
A Squier Affinity Stratocaster pack, I would suggest to you.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-SE-Special-Strat-with-Squier-SP-10-Amp-Value-Pack-104486238-i1177837.gc

Something like this, or one with the Fender Frontman amp. The guitar will serve you well for years to come, they are well made and in my opinion are the best available in the price range, you can replace the amp later but it will last you until you do. The bundle comes with everything you will need to start off.

Failing that you could visit a guitar shop and have them put together something similar and maybe come away with a better amp (probably cost you a little more).

Looking at Squier stick to the Affinity series or higher, don't drop down to the Bullet.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Apr 7, 2013,
Making an acoustic sound electric... probably not in a way to suit your needs. I think the idea of an acoustic to learn on is a good idea for some, it kind of cuts out all the effects and simplifies the process (it's also less expensive if you don't go too crazy with a starter guitar.)

Honestly, if you want to start on electric, there's nothing wrong with that. If you can stretch your budget to around $350-$400 anytime soon, you'll be able to snag much better beginners gear.
It's also nice to see a 13 year old with a conscience, not wanting your parents to spend a bunch of money is understandable. It's even better that you're putting money toward it.
OffsetOffset
Quote by CrailMute
i really hate to make my parents spend large sums ot money on me. I would really pay for it myself

As SteveHOC said, if you could spend a bit more, it would be advisable. If not then, in my opinion, the used Yamaha Pacifica and Vyper 30 are what you should get. A pretty good setup for $200.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Alright guys, I really appreciate your help you guys are really welcoming/friendly. I think i will make a trip to the closest guitar center to see and feel what i can get my hands on very soon. If you have anymore suggestions keep em' coming. I am right now compiling a list of some of the things you all have suggested. I will still be lurkin this forum so this is not the last you will see of me haha.