i was looking at tom morello's gear rig and i noticed something.

tom has a 1982 mexican telecaster... fender started making guitars in mexico in 1989. am i the only one tht finds this curious? how is this possible? the only explaination i could think of is tom ordered a custom guitar and requested it be built in mexico, but i doubt that because rage hit big in 91 i think. any ideas?

edit: heres a link

http://www.guitargeek.com/tom-morello-rage-against-the-machine-1998-guitar-rig-and-gear-setup-diagram/

and theres several other places
IIRC, the only Fender's made at that time were made in Japan.

It is possible that it was parted out with an '82 Tele body and post-'82 MIM neck...

I seriously doubt he had Fender make him a custom MIM model...
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
i doubt it as well because of the time period, though i've heard of people doing it because of their heritage, they go to the fender custom shop and ask that it be made in mexico because their mexican.

im not sure to be honest i've looked just about every where and i seem to be on the interweb thats noticed it
If it is MIM it may be a parts-caster like said above. It may also be a typo and it is a 1992 Tele.

Kind of interesting though
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
much more likely it's a 92 mex tele
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I looked in other places as well, it even says 82 in the back of one of my old guitar world magazines
According to an interview he gave in 2009 to Premier Guitar, it is a stock 1982 Tele called Sendero Luminoso (Shining Path)- he did not mention its place of manufacture. Given that, I think it is safe to assume that "stock" and "1982" are not in question, so it isn't a custom or partscaster.

I have noticed, though, that some sources call Sendero Luminoso an "American" Tele. It could be the "Mexican" part of the story is erroneous.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
According to an interview he gave in 2009 to Premier Guitar, it is a stock 1982 Tele called Sendero Luminoso (Shining Path)- he did not mention its place of manufacture. Given that, I think it is safe to assume that "stock" and "1982" are not in question, so it isn't a custom or partscaster.

I have noticed, though, that some sources call Sendero Luminoso an "American" Tele. It could be the "Mexican" part of the story is erroneous.

That would make sense Hmmm
Well obviously through sheer deduction it can not be a MIM because of the age and that is an absolute fact. It comes down to being a Typo/miss labeling
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't know, I believe they had a factory there at that time but didn't use it for guitars. Is it possible that they made a few there? Possibly as overflow from the Japanese factory
The Mexico plant did not open until 1987, so an 1982 MIM is impossible.

Either it is a typo in the information, or it is a MIJ/MIA Fender (unless it is a fake/copy of a tele)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate