Hi guys
I'm sure this type of thing shows up all the time around here, but hopefully you can help me anyway. I've done alot of research and narrowed my search down to 3 guitars that most fit my preferences. They are:

Kramer SM-1 (Seymour Duncan)

Ibanez RG920MQM

Jackson DK2MQ

I'm mostly looking to hear from people who have tried, own, or have heard about these guitars, not just speculations. If you can think of another guitar for me to consider, that's cool too, but only if it meets my preferences:

Strat or super-strat style body

24 frets (I actually wanted 27, but the 27s I found all were inconsistent with my other prefs)

Floyd Rose (or FR style)

JUMBO frets or smaller (in other words, NOT XJ. I have XJs on my LTD M-1000 and I'm sick of them - I need just a tad more friction)

14 in. radius or flatter (compound ok as long as it exceeds 12)

Passive pickups

I also like a satin finish neck, Seymour Duncans, and a top-mounted (non-recessed) Floyd, but these are not as crucial as the others.

I'm looking for a guitar that can handle alot of different things. I play everything from blues to metal, you could say I'm a fusion player in some ways I guess

Thanks for any help you can give me!

-Rory
i don't think any of those have a non-recessed floyd

fwiw i find bigger frets to have more friction than smaller ones. Depends on what you mean by friction, of course- i'm talking about slides and the like.

i haven't tried any of those specific guitars (they may be awesome), but personally i'd be a bit wary of getting a perfectly serviceable mid-range guitar (as they probably are) when you're probably not a million miles away (in terms of cost) from a high end guitar, like an ibanez prestige, genuine esp (not ltd), japanese jackson (discontinued but you can still find them) etc. etc. Of course, depending on where you are in the world they may be a lot less than those guitars (and also my "not a million miles away" point is often dependent on luckily coming across a good deal ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yea they all have recessed floyds that's why I mentioned that as one of the "not as crucial points." As far as price point, I could go higher, but I haven't been able to find anything that fit my prefs better than these in any range. I prefer the stylings of the Ibanez Premiums, and I've heard that they're very similar in quality to the prestige models. Also by friction I meant the ease by which to hold onto a note. The XJs have a really light feel, almost like scalloped frets. It's kinda hard to describe what I mean but I also have an Epi EM-2 with Jumbos and I just feel like I have more control over each note when I play. As for high end ESPs, they all seem to have the XJs, AND 12 in. radii. It's a shame cuz I really LOVE the Edwards e-cy-165ctm

-Rory
Not having played the Kramer, I'll comment on the Jackson and Ibenez. You will likely be much happier with the Jackson neck as opposed to the Ibenez. I'm a Jackson fan having played many of them and while the rereleased Dinky plays very nicely, you may want to consider a used San Dimas which encompasses all of your requirements and is in a similar price bracket. But, having said that, I'll suggest that you go to your local dealer and play them all. Your ultimate choice will be the one that, in your opinion, plays best for you.
Last edited by HotDan! at Apr 6, 2013,
Quote by rorycosgrove
Yea they all have recessed floyds that's why I mentioned that as one of the "not as crucial points." As far as price point, I could go higher, but I haven't been able to find anything that fit my prefs better than these in any range. I prefer the stylings of the Ibanez Premiums, and I've heard that they're very similar in quality to the prestige models. Also by friction I meant the ease by which to hold onto a note. The XJs have a really light feel, almost like scalloped frets. It's kinda hard to describe what I mean but I also have an Epi EM-2 with Jumbos and I just feel like I have more control over each note when I play. As for high end ESPs, they all seem to have the XJs, AND 12 in. radii. It's a shame cuz I really LOVE the Edwards e-cy-165ctm

-Rory

I doubt that premiums are similar to prestiges in terms of quality but then again, I haven't played a premium yet so what do I know?

And friction is bad ? it makes sliding a lot harder and kinda defeats the purpose of a satin neck. I'm kinda confused here though, seems like what you like about your epi is high action, hence why everything feels "tighter".. am I right?
The premiums while being a good guitar are miles away from being the same quality of the prestiges. I went into a store buying a "shock purple" premium RG and came out with an RG 1570 due to the difference in components and quality. However the premium is HH with a 5 way switch which is appealing, most prestiges are hsh.
Quote by archenemyfan
I doubt that premiums are similar to prestiges in terms of quality but then again, I haven't played a premium yet so what do I know?

+1

Quote by rorycosgrove
(a) Yea they all have recessed floyds that's why I mentioned that as one of the "not as crucial points." (b)Also by friction I meant the ease by which to hold onto a note. The XJs have a really light feel, almost like scalloped frets. It's kinda hard to describe what I mean

(a) yep i saw that, was just making sure you knew they were recessed

(b) Don't worry, I understand what you mean. yeah for that, bigger frets are probably better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Obviously I will try each model before I make my decision, but I also wanted to hear other opinions/experiences. So far I have only tried the Ibanez. I liked it very much. Not sure how high quality the prestiges could be, but everything about the RG920 felt, sounded and looked great - definitely good enough to buy, but of course I've got to try the others. Problem is, the Jackson DK2MQs are tough to come by, although I found a store where I can try one when I get a chance, but the Kramer doesn't seem to be anywhere, and it was my first consideration for my next axe.
As for the fret issue, usually with smaller frets there is supposed to be some contact between the finger and the fretboard when fretting a note, likely this accounts for the friction I mentioned. But whatever the reason, I definitely don't like the feel of XJs and I do like the feel of jumbos or smaller, so that's all that matters ultimately in that issue

-Rory
Ibanez js series fit those specs
"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
Quote by Maximus_2005
Ibanez js series fit those specs

Not quite, the radius is very round at 250mm. That's one of my more important prefs. Not crazy about the styling either on the JS but that's just me

-Rory
After some recent research, I'm strongly considering a warmoth build instead. I can get a soloist body with a gorgeous flame top with exactly the hardware/pups I'm after plus a 24 fret neck to my specs for about 1500 altogether. Any experiences/opinions with Warmoth?

-Rory
You realize that Warmoth doesn't actually build the guitars, right?

You might want to check out Carvin and US Masters.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
You realize that Warmoth doesn't actually build the guitars, right?

You might want to check out Carvin and US Masters.

Yes I know, but with all the routings and finishes done, it's worth it for me to save the money and get more or less EXACTLY what I want. Plus I'm interested in building a guitar, I know the process but have never done before

-Rory
Then its all good!

I just know a lot of people post about getting a Warmoth without realizing they're not going to get a guitar but a box of parts...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
i have purchased two Ibanez Prestiges for under one $380 (at the right place at the right time) the other $515. they are phenomenal guitars and would likely be better than anything else considering you like the neck.

also keep in mind resale. a warmoth guitar is worth its parts. if its a ibanez prestige or jackson dinky etc. the guitar would be worth more.

have you taken a look at any of charvel's options?

hell $1500 can land you something really nice. or a nice carvin, which is better IMO and you get to pick pretty much all the specs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/